Greatest Threat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B737G said:
I just feel I am worth more than what low cost carriers pay and had rather work in another field than fly for what they pay.

Just so I understand you correctly, and no offense meant. Are you saying that, given that no better option were available to you at the time, you would turn down a flying job that tops out at $150k/yr because you are worth more than that, only to walk away from your aviation career to take up another career entirely?

Please explain, if this is correct, because my bull$hit alarm is blaring quite loudly and I hate it when it's wrong.

Hell, I just like flying. If I only get paid what the free market bears whats wrong with that. No one promised that you would become a millionaire from flying. Lotsa people do it because they like it and can make a decent living doing it. There is no entitlement. If two similar houses are for sale and one is $10,000 cheaper which one would you buy? This is true of salaries as well. You can either do it better or cheaper, but for now the majors aren't doing it better and not cheaper. So how will they stay in business?

Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

Jeff G said:
Please explain, if this is correct, because my bull$hit alarm is blaring quite loudly and I hate it when it's wrong.

HAHAHAHHA.... Does that B.S. Alarm come with a flashing red MASTER WARNING or a yellow MASTER CAUTION

I KNEW I should have worn my boots today!

Jeff G said:
Just so I understand you correctly, and no offense meant. Are you saying that, given that no better option were available to you at the time, you would turn down a flying job that tops out at $150k/yr because you are worth more than that, only to walk away from your aviation career to take up another career entirely?

Of course I would walk away. I had job offers paying upwards of 125k annually after graduating from grad school. I was only 29 at the time so, I am certain I could make much more in the future. As for the previous post that stated Airtran captains can make 150k annually, that seems like too much for flying a 130 or so seat airplane. Maybe those flying 777/747 should make more than 300k annually. It is a shame that we spend so much time fighting one another when our focus should be on management. You all are eating right out of their hands!

Re: Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

B737G said:
As for the previous post that stated Airtran captains can make 150k annually, that seems like too much for flying a 130 or so seat airplane. Maybe those flying 777/747 should make more than 300k annually.
So why would a 777 captain deserve more than double what an Airtran captain makes???

My plane only has 12 seats, so what should I be making? $12,000 per year?

Your logic is amusing....

B737G said:
Of course I would walk away. I had job offers paying upwards of 125k annually after graduating from grad school. I was only 29 at the time so, I am certain I could make much more in the future.
I don't know about the rest of you but I am getting a red MASTER WARNING and a non-silenceable horn on this one!

Falcon Capt said:
Obviously you missed the thread and news article about how UAL announced today that they lost:

$382,000,000.00 Million in January...

Thats:
$12,300,000.00 Million per day or
$513,440.00 per hour or
$8,550.00 per minute or
$142.50 per SECOND

Where do you expect this money to come from to pay for $300k/year salaries? Sounds to me like a company should have a salary structure that also allows the company to make some money too...

I'm not saying labor costs are UAL's only problem, UAL has many, many very serious problems...

Well, according to UAL own financial statements, if labor took a 50% cut across the board, UAL would have still lost money last year. Must be those expensive pilots, and not the fact that planes have to be more than 100% full to break even at current prices...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

Beantown said:
An Airtran CA can easily make $150,000 a year to fly a 100+ seat airplane. If you call that prostituting then we have real problems.

Falcon Capt just gave a long description why salaries are going the way they are (huge losses) and you come up with this
sh%t. Why don't you go use that MBA in North Korea. I heard they love fixing wages and prices over there. You will fit in nicely.
-Bean

Actually, salaries are going the way they are because certain pilots are willing to prostitute themselves out for less pay and little or no benefits. Beantown, we can talk N. Korea all you want once you have served your country!

Dude, did you get your MBA out of a cereal box?

Management is where the money is!

Why are you jackin' around as a pilot if you're so smart?

Re: Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

B737G said:
Of course I would walk away. I had job offers paying upwards of 125k annually after graduating from grad school. I was only 29 at the time so, I am certain I could make much more in the future.

Definitely a MASTER WARNING there. You're foregoing that kind of money right out of grad school for the opportunity to sit reserve, face furlough, lose your pension, your medical, or your career, merely on the chance that you last long enough to make the really big bucks? At the same time you have to know that making the really big bucks in this environment will take a decade or two (if age 60 doesn't get you first), but yet making six figures in a year or three at AAI or JBLU is bad? I'm not sure if this is merely a self-serving "principled" stand on your part or wildly unrealistic expectations. At this time, you're lucky to get any flying job anywhere. The next time any of the really well paying airlines hires again is a number of years off.

What the heck are you doing flying, if your education (and self-assessment) is worth so much? And don't say anything to the effect that you just "love to fly". You've made it quite plain that this is a monetary issue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

B737G said:
Actually, salaries are going the way they are because certain pilots are willing to prostitute themselves out for less pay and little or no benefits. Beantown, we can talk N. Korea all you want once you have served your country!

I get it now, so one day pilots woke up and said "I think I'll suggest a 29% pay cut today! And get all my fellow pilots to do the same!" :rolleyes:

Talk about a twisted view of reality... :(

Latest resources

Back