Greatest Threat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B737G

I was out last night with some friends having a cold one and we were joined by an Airtran pilot who is a friend of a friend. We discussed the state of the industry and where our profession is going. I am curious as to what you all think is the greatest threat to our profession? Baseball style arbitration, scope, cabotage, low cost carriers. I have no desire to offend anyone but, I believe those willing to fly for substandard wages and lack of benefits are the greatest threat. Major airline pilots used to enjoy great pay and benefits and that is now under attack more than ever before. The Airtran pilot was a good guy but, his views on the profession truly disturbed me. He felt that a 777 capt. at Delta was not worth 300k per year. Considering what Airtran pilots make flying 717s, I think 300k for a 300 seat aircraft is about right. Why do some pilots have such lttle self worth? Maybe him not attending college had something to do with it. Again, not trying to hurt anyones feeling and I do not feel superior to anyone without a college degree but, I just feel I am worth more than what low cost carriers pay and had rather work in another field than fly for what they pay. Any thoughts?

The supply of pilots is too high. Therefore the price (compensation) will go down. Lower the supply of pilots, and the price(compensation) will go up.

Set up some sort of deal like doctors do to only allow so many candidates into med school. Control the supply.

B737G said:
I think 300k for a 300 seat aircraft is about right.
Doesn't matter what you think, all that matters is supply and demand.

Why do some pilots have such lttle self worth?
Maybe it's not low self worth. maybe they just want to fly more than you!

Maybe him not attending college had something to do with it.
Ha! Yea, that's the ticket!

Again, not trying to hurt anyones feeling and I do not feel superior to anyone without a college degree but, I just feel I am worth more than what low cost carriers pay and had rather work in another field than fly for what they pay. Any thoughts?
Yea - lots of luck! BTW - you take any economics when getting that degree?

B737G said:
He felt that a 777 capt. at Delta was not worth 300k per year. Considering what Airtran pilots make flying 717s, I think 300k for a 300 seat aircraft is about right.

Obviously you missed the thread and news article about how UAL announced today that they lost:

$382,000,000.00 Million in January...

Thats:
$12,300,000.00 Million per day or
$513,440.00 per hour or
$8,550.00 per minute or
$142.50 per SECOND

Where do you expect this money to come from to pay for $300k/year salaries? Sounds to me like a company should have a salary structure that also allows the company to make some money too...

I'm not saying labor costs are UAL's only problem, UAL has many, many very serious problems... But if there is not enough money coming in to cover costs, you can't demand or expect a high salary just because "when you got into this profession thats what pilots were making"... Haven't you ever heard the phrase: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Times have changed, the flying public has changed, the economy has changed... and thusly salaries have and will change...

Life is tough...

Here is a thought...
Your a TOOL
Get over yourself

Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

Falcon Capt said:
Obviously you missed the thread and news article about how UAL announced today that they lost:

$382,000,000.00 Million in January...

Thats:
$12,300,000.00 Million per day or
$513,440.00 per hour or
$8,550.00 per minute or
$142.50 per SECOND

But if there is not enough money coming in to cover costs, you can't demand or expect a high salary just because "when you got into this profession thats what pilots were making"... Haven't you ever heard the phrase: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Times have changed, the flying public has changed, the economy has changed... and thusly salaries have and will change...

Life is tough...

You are right. Times have changed as a result of those willing to fly for substandard wages and benefits. They are killing what used to be a great profession.

Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

flywithastick said:
Doesn't matter what you think, all that matters is supply and demand.

Maybe it's not low self worth. maybe they just want to fly more than you!

Ha! Yea, that's the ticket!

Yea - lots of luck! BTW - you take any economics when getting that degree?

Actually, I did not take any economics courses in undergraduate school. I did however take several while working on my MBA. I will not deny that current economic conditions do not warrant such high salaries but, I will argue why this came about. Those willing to prostitute themselves out for such low pay and lack of benefits are the cause for the decline of the profession. It is you who needs luck and an injection of self worth unless of course, you too lack the credentials to have self worth.

Falcon Capt,

Were you turned down by Delta?

Bye Bye---General Lee;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Falcon Capt,

Were you turned down by Delta?

Bye Bye---General Lee;) :rolleyes:

Never applied to Delta... (or any other major, national or regional for that matter)

Why do you ask?

Contrary to what you might think, not everyone wants to work for your beloved Delta...

Shouldn't you be busy posting a "Delta hedges fuel better then any other airline" post somewhere???

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back