Gojet getting 50 seaters!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, so let me get this straight:

I am an unemployed former Aloha pilot. There is and was no strike at TSA. I also have a tough time finding any operators/airlines out there that are currently hiring. Now unlike my UAL/AA/CO counterparts who have an airline to return to, I don't. My currency is running out, and we all know that most places want you to be current and have some recency of experience as part of their minimum requirements. I also did my regional time banging away in turboprops before moving onto Boeings. I had a career job, and now I got set back literally 8 years.

Now let's see... there's no ALPA job action against GoJet, there's no ALPA recruitment ban against GoJet, what do you have to tell me that I shouldn't feed my family? Should I give up 13 years of paying dues all for a regional squabble over a minimum wage job?

I tell you what... if you happily employed Pinnacle pilots, Republic pilots, ASA pilots, Delta pilots, United pilots, Airtran pilots, Southwest pilots are so adamant about protecting this profession against the GoScum and the like, then start an adopt-a-furloughee program and take assessments to pay our BASIC living expenses after our unemployment benefits run out. You do that, and then you'll have a leg to stand on. But until you do... you all look like a bunch of whining crybabies who are used to getting served everything on a silver platter.

No, I do not work for GoJet.

Sadly, you have been recipient of the kind of damage pilots who are willing to work for next to nothing can do to this industry yet you still don't understand that they only way to shut pilot whorehouses like GoJet down is to cut off their supply of pilots. Why would anyone consider paying you more when they know you will work for less? With all of the support you are getting from other posters on here its no wonder this profession is circling the drain.

Getting back into the industry is tough without currency but its been done countless times over by pilots with a lot harder luck than yours. If things keep up you won't have a profession to come back to.

Sadly, you have been recipient of the kind of damage pilots who are willing to work for next to nothing can do to this industry yet you still don't understand that they only way to shut pilot whorehouses like GoJet down is to cut off their supply of pilots. Why would anyone consider paying you more when they know you will work for less? With all of the support you are getting from other posters on here its no wonder this profession is circling the drain.

Getting back into the industry is tough without currency but its been done countless times over by pilots with a lot harder luck than yours. If things keep up you won't have a profession to come back to.

You are correct in theory. In practice, we would have to shut off pilot whorehouses like Mesa, Pinnacle, TSA, Skywest, Republic, ExpressJet, ASA, Comair, Colgan, Eagle, PSA, Mesaba, Compass, etc. in addition to GoJet to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.

Really... what is the difference between a new hire GoJet pilot and a new hire Pinnacle pilot, and I'm talking right now, December 2008, not 2005?

You might not know because you're entrenched in the left seat making at least a reasonably okay living. The fact that you're likely flying routes that mainline did for a fraction of the pay is the discussion I won't get into right now.

But I can tell you from my perspective as the guy who's drawing unemployment who had a true career position.

Coming from the right seat of a Boeing working for a 62 year old airline, as I mentioned in an above post, I was making the equivalent of your (Pinnacle, I presume) 15 year CRJ900 captain pay, as an FO. Now, that's gone. Right now, I have to wonder... do I start over at one of the whorehouses you mentioned above for literally less than my unemployment check, go overseas, quit aviation although sadly even non-flying jobs are scarce these days, or hey, possibly apply with and accept job with an outfit like GoJet. See, to me, GoJet is an airline that is growing and taking delivery of airplanes and hiring guys with experience into left seat (read: higher than unemployment check). Sounds too good to be true? Well, I dunno... maybe. Personally, I hold myself to a higher standard than to cross picket lines, but let's face it... when my ALPA Furlough Resources state that GoJet is one of the airlines hiring, and then I see "wh0res" and I'm borrowing your expression here, from other carriers (non-GoJet) telling me I shouldn't go there, whom do I believe? Someone "whore" from a different "whorehouse" vs. my union telling me who's hiring?

I am very familiar with GoJet's existence, how it came about, the purpose of it, etc. I am also very familiar with ALPA's response pre-NMB ruling and also post-NMB ruling. In addition, I am also VERY familiar with how regional carriers or "pilot whorehouses" do their business and bid on flying, and how they get the flying.

So basically, to answer the initial question on the difference of December 2008 Pinnacle new hire and December 2008 GoJet new hire: upgrade time, and time spent drawing less than unemployment. If you were to ask me the same question in 2005 before NMB ruling, and during ALPA's legal challenge to GoJet's existence, I'd fully agree with you. ALPA - through its inaction, lack of appeal of the ruling, lack of instituting a recruitment ban against GoJet, and actually listing GoJet as one of the airlines hiring in ALPA Furlough Resources basically tells me that there is nothing wrong with seeking employment at GoJet. Now, on flightinfo, it's a different story - HoJet scabs! Mesa sucks! you know the routine.

In reality, for those of us who lost our career positions, the last place we'd ever want to apply would be any regional, GoJet or Skywest or Pinnacle. We were happily flying Boeings making a good living. But now that those jobs have been taken away from us, we need to feed our families. It's always easier to grandstand when you have a job, and that's what I take this GoJet argument of yours to be - grandstanding.

Want to end pilot whorehouses? Every regional pilot needs to walk off their job. But that's not happening, nor is it realistic. Either we all do it.... or we go back to name calling on FI.

As a former TSA pilot who was there from the beginning of this GoJet fiasco, who voted "no", and who was pissed off and thought that "they" were taking "our" jobs. I have to comment on Freight Dog's posts.

First, I am sorry about your loss of job.

2nd, Thank you. Your posts are probably one of the more thought out and better written on this website.

3rd, I'm starting to agree with you. The pilots of everywhere else i.e. regionals, need to stop bickering with eachother and fight management. GoJet is wrong, but, so are all the regionals. The bar keeps getting lower and lower with each company outthere. I tell everyone I meet when they ask why I left "airline flying" Because, we are slaves, paid pennies, get shat on by pax, mang, and each other with out even a hint of a reacharound.
This is a hard, long road we chose to travel, and everyone has no one to blame except ourselves for taking the jobs in these crummy places. I wish everyone luck in thier careers. I know how hard it is to get and keep a great job. But, everyone who works in the "regional" world is and has contributed to lowering the bar in aviation.
slam away

Go Jet

The fact of the matter is. if you are willing to fly DREAMLINERS for AA on another certificate (AA light), then Go Jet is the airline for you!!

'nuf said!

All the best

Last edited:
OK, so let me get this straight:

I am an unemployed former Aloha pilot. There is and was no strike at TSA. I also have a tough time finding any operators/airlines out there that are currently hiring. Now unlike my UAL/AA/CO counterparts who have an airline to return to, I don't. My currency is running out, and we all know that most places want you to be current and have some recency of experience as part of their minimum requirements. I also did my regional time banging away in turboprops before moving onto Boeings. I had a career job, and now I got set back literally 8 years.

Now let's see... there's no ALPA job action against GoJet, there's no ALPA recruitment ban against GoJet, what do you have to tell me that I shouldn't feed my family? Should I give up 13 years of paying dues all for a regional squabble over a minimum wage job?

I tell you what... if you happily employed Pinnacle pilots, Republic pilots, ASA pilots, Delta pilots, United pilots, Airtran pilots, Southwest pilots are so adamant about protecting this profession against the GoScum and the like, then start an adopt-a-furloughee program and take assessments to pay our BASIC living expenses after our unemployment benefits run out. You do that, and then you'll have a leg to stand on. But until you do... you all look like a bunch of whining crybabies who are used to getting served everything on a silver platter.

No, I do not work for GoJet.

Well, lets see, your company got put out of business by a regional with questionable business practices, and now you wanna know what's wrong with going to work for one?

Well, lets see, your company got put out of business by a regional with questionable business practices, and now you wanna know what's wrong with going to work for one?

So, with all this grandstanding, tell me Mr. Bond.... what is the answer? Are you and your pilot group going to walk off the job to protest this injustice? Are you willing to donate a portion of your salary to help those who lost their jobs in this fashion? What are you going to do to help those furloughees who were unable to find jobs? Mind you, most have been in this industry way longer than you.

I'm really curious to see what alternate plan of action you come up with. Now also, bear in mind the legalese I posted above.

Latest resources

Back