• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go to ATI or stay at the regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I got that part! I totally understand that and would love to go to ATI. I just didn't understand the ABX comment. I'm patiently waiting for the window to reopen.

ABX signed a LOA with mgt that said something to the effect of: if another ATSG subsidiary starts hiring...the furloughed ABX pilots would be offered jobs ahead of any new hire.

I don't know how you enforce the LOA, though. ATI is a separate entity from ABX. Kind of like when Matlin-Patterson bought ATA, World, North American. ATA couldn't tell World or NA they had to hire the ATA pilots. Its a very similar situation.

Got to ATI or stay at a regional after 9 years as an FO an no upgrade anytime soon?

Bail for ATI, who knows what the plans are for Comair. Dont look back either cause DAL already announced more RJ's will be cut and most agree where alot of the cuts will come from.

Having been both a 10 year regional pilot (Piedmont ) and a former ATI pilot at one time ,2 things you have to ask yourself when formulating your decision as to whether ATI or any of the ACMI carriers for that matter are a good fit for you.

First and the most important is are you married with kids at home and if so what type of schedule works better for you and your family ? The reason why is ATI and other ACMI carriers usually send you out on the road for quite an extended period of time. My first trip, I was told to pack for 10 days, hub turns out of TOL, all back of the clock flying. 16 very long days or should I say nights ,later; I come walking back through my kitchen door at home. This was quite the eye-opener for all of us when you consider the longest trip I've ever done up to this point in my career were 4 day trips and was what we were all used to at home. Bottom line, this kind of schedule can be pretty tough on the homelife especially when you have a wife and 2 young children as was my case at the time.

The second thing to consider is how close you will be to upgrading staying at Comair vs. going to ATI . If your a very senior F/O at Comair and the reason your stuck in the right seat at Comair is because of the age 65 change,will you upgrade quicker by staying put and waiting for the retirements to start again or will you upgrade quicker by starting over at ATI ? I was told at an interview many years ago , "'you can't put a price on that PIC time " If your young junior and single,then I guess the decision to go is that much easier. For us old goats further up the totem pole with a fairly decent QOL, not so much. Anyway ,these are some thoughts on the subject and some things to consider from someone who has done both. Hope this helps. Good luck in your decision.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
ABX signed a LOA with mgt that said something to the effect of: if another ATSG subsidiary starts hiring...the furloughed ABX pilots would be offered jobs ahead of any new hire.

I don't know how you enforce the LOA, though. ATI is a separate entity from ABX. Kind of like when Matlin-Patterson bought ATA, World, North American. ATA couldn't tell World or NA they had to hire the ATA pilots. Its a very similar situation.

Actually, unless the labor contracts at ATI and Capitol say that their management cannot hire pilots furloughed from other airlines... and the unions are in charge of interviewing and hiring pilots the management can hire whomever they want. And here is the real kicker Joe Hete is the head of your management weather you like it or not!

Actually, unless the labor contracts at ATI and Capitol say that their management cannot hire pilots furloughed from other airlines... and the unions are in charge of interviewing and hiring pilots the management can hire whomever they want. And here is the real kicker Joe Hete is the head of your management weather you like it or not!

I don't work there. I'm just an outsider looking in.

Wow. Thank you for all your advice. Some very good points both ways. I was senior at one point at Comair. Had an upgrade class and then the floor fell under and I am now on reserve again in CVG as an FO with less than 300 pilots below me. At one point had 800 pilots below me. As far as PIC time I have zero turbine PIC and less than 1,000 PIC an anything. I just got stuck as a 9 year FO making tons of SIC time.

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you for all your advice. Some very good points both ways. I was senior at one point at Comair. Had an upgrade class and then the floor fell under and I am now on reserve again in CVG as an FO with less than 300 pilots below me. At one point had 800 pilots below me. As far as PIC time I have zero turbine PIC and less than 1,000 PIC an anything. I just got stuck as a 9 year FO making tons of SIC time.

Have you been hired yet...or do you have an interview coming up?

Latest resources

Back