• Watchers 16

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pave's just another guy who didnt get the call.....nothing to see here

One time charges are excluded from our profit sharing formula. In fact, our ps is more correctly called pre-tax income sharing. Looks like we may break 15% of w-2 for this year, which means I'm effectively getting paid 177.67 per hour for 2014, not to mention another 15% to my 401k, no match required. Not sure why you think we've peaked. Our debt is way down and going lower, and our retirements are really just getting started. You AA guys really should look into the profit sharing thing.

Of course you aren't really interested in facts that don't fit your "delta sucks" opinion, so enjoy yourself.

I do indeed think Delta sucks but for other reasons - sorry to my Delta bros. Um, well, one needs only look at future debt obligations, retirement schedules of all big 3 to make an informed decision of where to go. Oh no, I've said too much. You guys are awesome at Delta! On the other hand, have you ever jumpseated on American, United and Delta to get a glims of what it would be like to work at one of the big 3? Have you ever thought to look at the OLD aircraft Delta has and compare it to the other legacies? Have you looked at the future debt obligations at the big 3 have? Have you researched the retirement numbers at all the big 3? Well, any new prospective pilot should. With that information they should make an informed descision.

I have jumpseated on most of the majors, and the truth is we're all about the same. I was a northwest guy, so I heard the same stuff about delta, and I can tell you without a doubt that the delta cockpit is a great place to work. Of course, we all have our outliers, but 99% of the guys are great. Anyone getting hired right now at the big three is in good shape. I can give good reasons to avoid any of the big three, but there are more pros than cons for either. I'm too disinterested to bother to list them.

The "your airline sucks" bit is tired, but I guess these boards thrive on that stuff, so carry on.

Last edited:
I have jumpseated on most of the majors, and the truth is we're all about the same. I was a northwest guy, so I heard the same stuff about delta, and I can tell you without a doubt that the delta cockpit is a great place to work. Of course, we all have our outliers, but 99% of the guys are great. Anyone getting hired right now at the big three is in good shape. I can give good reasons to avoid any of the big three, but there are more pros than cons for either. I'm too disinterested to bother to list them.

The "your airline sucks" bit is tired, but I guess these boards thrive on that stuff, so carry on.

If Northwest still existed, it would have been my first choice! You guys are top-notch. Delta, not so much.

Compared to Delta, Northwest was a miserable place to work. Lots of bitterness left over from previous mergers. No nostalgia for the red tail from me.

Compared to Delta, Northwest was a miserable place to work. Lots of bitterness left over from previous mergers. No nostalgia for the red tail from me.

You had several far superior contract items and I can easily pick out a former Northwest pilot. Northwest management had a chance to make a great working environment but the times dictated otherwise. RIP Northwest, you will be sincerely missed.

Wow, Pave Driver is extremely jealous, and obviously has a low IQ. He pulls up three articles from the past, and doesn't even look at the latest Quarterly conference call from Delta. Most everything he stated was outdated, including the "Ruggles" guy who did hedge in 2011, but was then replaced.

Via "Seeking Alpha", here is pertinent info from Q3 about hedging, cash on hand, and debt reduction from Paul Jacobson, the DL CFO:

"The refinery made a $19 million profit for the quarter which lowered our fuel price by $0.02 per gallon. The refinery?s profit represents a $16 million improvement over the same period last year. A key driver of the profitability was our domestic crude initiative as we processed 100,000 barrels per day of domestic crude during the quarter. We are on-pace to achieve our goal of averaging 70,000 barrels per day for the full year, which should increase to 100,000 barrels per day in 2015. For the December quarter, we?re expecting to pay $2.69 to $2.74 per gallon for fuel including the refinery and hedge impacts. This includes the projected profit of the refinery of $20 million driven by widening crack spreads. The refinery team is running a great operation and continuous to generate meaningful year-over-year improvements there.

At current crude prices, we?ll have approximately $100 million of hedge losses in the December quarter while our 2015 hedge book is near breakeven with a solid amount of protection at current price levels. Even with these hedge losses, we?ve participated in 80% of the price declines since late June. With the expected December quarter losses, our hedges reduced our overall fuel costs by roughly $160 million for 2014.

Turning to cash, our strong cash generation continued to differentiate us from the industry. This quarter we generated $1.3 billion of operating cash flow and reinvested $411 million into the business primarily related to fleet. In the fourth quarter, we expect to spend $800 million on capital expenditures which will bring our total CapEx to approximately $2.3 billion for the year. With another quarter of solid cash generation ahead of us, we?re on-track to produce $3.5 billion of free cash flow this year. We used that to continue to strengthen the balance sheet and return cash to shareholders with our $910 million of free cash flow during the quarter. Our adjusted net debt is down to $7.4 billion which held lower our interest expense by $60 million versus last year.

We have a clear line of site to achieve our $5 billion adjusted net debt targeted 2016. During the September quarter, we also returned $325 million to shareholders through dividends and buybacks. We paid out $75 million in dividends as we increased our dividend by 50% to $0.09 per share. In addition, we repurchased $250 million in shares during the quarter. Once again I want to thank the entire Delta team for another record breaking quarter. Our performance this quarter and throughout this year shows what we can do when we all work together to drive change and deliver results."

Pave, AA isn't even close when it comes to management (last call "Dougwiser..."), profits, profit sharing, or getting your employee groups to "get along." Yeah, that last one will be fun to watch.....

Quit being so hateful and jealous Pave, and you can still apply for lav dumper at UAL or DL. You suck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back