• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
50/70 seat first year captain:
Pinnacle/Mesa $55
Eagle $62
ASA $60
Chaut/Skwest $56
************************* $55

Financially, almost everyones' argument about *************************'s "race to the bottom" isn't sound. 99% of the responses are emotionally driven. Of course, there are other contractual factors, but how many of the above airlines are hiring 1st year captains?

I am not making a threat to anyone, go ahead and work there if you want, just good luck moving on to anywhere else after that, and I hope you don't have to commute to work as well, becuase it might be tough getting there.

uncle said:
50/70 seat first year captain:
Pinnacle/Mesa $55
Eagle $62
ASA $60
Chaut/Skwest $56
************************* $55

Financially, almost everyones' argument about *************************'s "race to the bottom" isn't sound. 99% of the responses are emotionally driven. Of course, there are other contractual factors, but how many of the above airlines are hiring 1st year captains?

Then you add in the factor that some of the first GJ Capt.'s hired from other regional carriers were given DOH from their previous carrier. Some came in with 5 years as soon as they came over.

h25b said:
Again, nevermind....

I just love it when a 1200 TT regional jet F/O with probably less than 1 year of airline seniority threatens another pilot's career...

At my current airline, i tell the dudes i fly with i was from colgan. Then i usually have to follow that up with answers about what aircraft they flew, where, and for who. They often have never heard of the place at all. A lot of the older dudes flying the 737s and 757's of today have no clue what is going on in the regionals. When i would jumpseat on USair those dudes didn't even know what we flew a lot of the time....and we were a usairways feeder! These *************************s people will get jobs down the road with little trouble if they have the PIC time.

BRA said:
At my current airline, i tell the dudes i fly with i was from colgan. Then i usually have to follow that up with answers about what aircraft they flew, where, and for who. They often have never heard of the place at all. A lot of the older dudes flying the 737s and 757's of today have no clue what is going on in the regionals. When i would jumpseat on USair those dudes didn't even know what we flew a lot of the time....and we were a usairways feeder! These *************************s people will get jobs down the road with little trouble if they have the PIC time.

I remember having to explain who CHQ was every time I had to ask for a jumpseat. The people saying how these GJ guys' careers are done are just pathetic. Almost as if they say it enough it will somehow become true.

h25b said:
I remember having to explain who CHQ was every time I had to ask for a jumpseat. The people saying how these GJ guys' careers are done are just pathetic. Almost as if they say it enough it will somehow become true.

I am not some gray haired senior airline pilot either, (only 26) but i do believe from experience i can see how somethings will work out. These dudes won't have a whole lot of trouble if they get the turbine PIC time. Not what everyone want to hear i know. Also people with the "for SWA" 737 types do get jobs elsewhere, the gulfstream PFT people do get jobs elsewhere, people without the 4 year degrees do get hired at places, people with DUI's are working in the industry, and people that think all the TWA and USAir furloughs are all flooding the market looking for jobs are wrong too.

Perhaps, but times are different now. Prior to 9/11, pilots may have had their heads stuck in the sand (along with the entire dot com worshipping public incidentally) but since that time, people have awakened. The rise of the low cost carriers, facilitated by the fiscal chaos after 9/11, taught everyone out there a hard lesson. WAKE THE F' UP!

Now with the industry in a hell bent race to the bottom. Who is eating whose lunch is the subject in every crew lounge and every cockpit. Maybe I'm crazy but that is what I've been seeing over the past few years. After watching the legacy titans fall flat on their faces, peope are scared and NOTHING wakes people up quicker than fear, particularly the fear of loss.

Add to this the proliferation of instant information via Algore's internet (ha ha) and you have the best informed pilot population in the history of our industry. I've been out of work 4 months and I'm sick of hearing about HoJets!

I ran into a Mesa captain a few days ago as our crews (his and mine) showed up for first flight of the day out of somewhere. He asked how things were going...yada, yada, yada, I ask, "so who are you with, PSA, Piedmont...?". First words out of his mouth are "Don't hate me, I'm with Mesa". Why is it that he said that...is it because they know they are whores? I just found it strange. When somebody asks me who I work for, I just say Air Wisconsin. I guess people have awareness nowadays.

PS. All US Airways Express carriers have the same hat hardware (as far as I know) so you don't know who you're talking to until they tell you.

h25b said:

The crusty silver haired captains who manage to pull themselves off of the golf course 10 days a month to go to work aren't the ones who decide if you get hired or not. The pilot recruitment department does the hiring and you can bet for damn sure they know exactly who every carrier is and what they represent.

The problem with going to work for GøJets isn't that you consciously made the decision to work for a nonunion shop. The problem is that people who go to GøJets have demonstrated that they are willing to stab others in the back to get ahead. This willingness is not a good trait for line pilots at any airline in any situation. Any hiring department that can afford to be selective in their hiring will most likely skip over applicants such as these.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back