• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting the call from US Airways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If us airways calls...do yourself a favor....don't answer the phone.

You've hereby been warned.

With 80% of the easties retiring in the next ten years I think a pilot would be a fool to turn down a job here. If you're 30 years old and get hired here you will be a narrow body captain in 6 or 7 years and a wide body captain in 10 or 11...a wide body captain in your early 40's, of course barring another 9/11 or oil at $500/bl. We've had a national mediator for a while now so even though it is hard to believe we will have a new decent contract in a year or two. I wish I could be a captain in my early 40's but I would need a time machine for that! I was hired here 12 years ago and our new hires will be only a few hundred numbers junior to me... In other words if I ever get to upgrade here there is a really good chance my upgrading sim partner will be 12 years junior to me and because my first life was military they will be 20 to 25 years younger! Good luck to all!

Last edited:
With 80% of the easties retiring in the next ten years I think a pilot would be a fool to turn down a job here. If you're 30 years old and get hired here you will be a narrow body captain in 6 or 7 years and a wide body captain in 10 or 11...a wide body captain in your early 40's, of course barring another 9/11 or oil at $500/bl. We've had a national mediator for a while now so even though it is hard to believe we will have a new decent contract in a year or two. I wish I could be a captain in my early 40's but I would need a time machine for that! I was hired here 12 years ago and our new hires will be only a few hundred numbers junior to me... In other words if I ever get to upgrade here there is a really good chance my upgrading sim partner will be 12 years junior to me and because my first life was military they will be 20 to 25 years younger! Good luck to all!

You're assuming East will even exist.

I didn't really mean "fool" to not take the job. You should take a job for many other reasons like bases closer to where you live or type of flying. Like if you live in TN or KY and you're a night owl...

You sure about those stats? As for "planned" retirements, they really don't hit till Dec 2012-2013. And even then, the numbers I've seen, based solely on age 65, don't come close to the company needing 300 pilots in that time frame.

You can't just look at the age 65 numbers. There will be several more who medical out and still more that call it quits around 62 when they're eligible for social security. I've flown with quite a few lately who are planning to leave "early"

Ignore the haters on here!

US Airways is actually a pretty good gig. Eventually, the pay will get fixed and a contract will be in place. Great crews, excellent training, new airplanes coming, international expansion, retirements getting ready to start, company is in better finanical shape, if you live in base and bid reserve life is good!

"Eventually" .....I see that word used a lot in Mesa threads on the regional board!!

interview Tuesday

I heard there are a few guys interviewing tomorrow Tueday. June. 13.
Please tell us how it went

they don't require a 4 year degree, just prefer it. I don't know if that would be a factor not to call you in for a interview.

Latest resources

Back