Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Clearance when Tower is Closed!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe, correct me if I am wrong, ASA doesn't allow "Night Visuals" at certain airports until you have been vectored onto final. I believe ROA has this, and is mostly likely due to mountainous terrain. (ie AVL too????)

I believe some other operators have this restriction too.

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, ASA doesn't allow "Night Visuals" at certain airports until you have been vectored onto final. I believe ROA has this, and is mostly likely due to mountainous terrain. (ie AVL too????)

I believe some other operators have this restriction too.

This is true. BTV was like that too-you can see it in the 10-10 pages.

Hmm. Yup, my tongue in cheek rant about "FMS" and trying to make a "thinking outside the box" connection failed miserably, much like when a reporter draws a total blank when the TelePrompTer fails. Fuggetaboudit.

But here's a real question (eventually): It's my understanding that OpSpecs are essentially cobbled together out of a long list of available items. Is this true? Because PDT's explicity forbids us from cancelling IFR prior to landing at an uncontrolled field. It totally hamstrings us (if adhered to), and I was wondering who else operates under the same goofy rule.

Here's another one: You're landing at an uncontrolled field at night. ASOS is reporting 1/4 in fog. You picked up the field 30 miles out, and can see the entire airport from the traffic pattern... Can you land?

Hmm. Yup, my tongue in cheek rant about "FMS" and trying to make a "thinking outside the box" connection failed miserably, much like when a reporter draws a total blank when the TelePrompTer fails. Fuggetaboudit.

But here's a real question (eventually): It's my understanding that OpSpecs are essentially cobbled together out of a long list of available items. Is this true? Because PDT's explicity forbids us from cancelling IFR prior to landing at an uncontrolled field. It totally hamstrings us (if adhered to), and I was wondering who else operates under the same goofy rule.

Here's another one: You're landing at an uncontrolled field at night. ASOS is reporting 1/4 in fog. You picked up the field 30 miles out, and can see the entire airport from the traffic pattern... Can you land?

Sig your right, However if someone is manning the Common Traffic Freq. on the ground and you establish communication with them you may Cancel at a Uncontrolled field while in the air.

With Reguards to the Fog and ASOS, we'll just read below.

Like the Old Salty Dog Frank would say, "Just Use Fukin Common Sense.!"

Last edited:
A little tangent, I've had it report 3sm AND picked up the runway 30 miles out and everything was gravy until the flare.

-Brett

A little tangent, I've had it report 3sm AND picked up the runway 30 miles out and everything was gravy until the flare.

-Brett

Yea, I have seen that too. Problem with landing with the ASOS below approach mins with the actual weather CLR and 10 is that it will be hard to explain it to the Feds why you were landing in the first place if something goes wrong.

We have this problem in EWN where the ASOS device is located next to a river and you can sometimes get bad readings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was at PDT, wasn't it against the GOM to take off VFR and THEN get the IFR clnce while airborne?

Like the Old Salty Dog Frank would say, "Just Use Fukin Common Sense.!"

EXACTLY... until you do it and DX self discloses on your arse. It's a nightmare in Stankbury sometimes, especially when common sense would dictate having a freaking trained weather observer in DX so they could step outside, say "yup, it's VFR and the ASOS is busted..." I can't think a way out of it at midnight, "alone," and the new meat in "the sandwich de traileur" is ready to drop a dime to Baltimore after playing realworld pilot.

Stupid.

Firstmate: I thought we had 50 miles to pick one up airborne. Could be wrong, never tried anyway.

** Same problem in SBY as EWN- the weather station is by a treeline, adjacent to a wide ditch. Smart.

Last edited:
PGV was always a good one to collect a few extra coins while waiting on G/A aircraft to cancel or RDU FSS to respond.

like others have said - get the/your clearance at the gate and tell them you'll call for release when your number 1 at "planned runway" in about "x number of minutes". Always worked for me part 135 or 121.

I don't claim to be the all knowing yeagerlike aviator but unless someone can show/tell me otherwise doing the above will not close the airport.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back