Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Clearance when Tower is Closed!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love it when these low time guys (6500hrs) come on here like they know everything.

It took me a few minutes to understand your rant. I thought you were upset that ATC freq was being tied up for clearances. Then I read more, and see that you think that because a guy gets his clearance, the airport is now closed. Is this what you think. I had this same scenario twice last week. I got the clearance from an approach controller, while parked on the ramp. They asked when we would be ready, I told them about 5-10 minutes. They give the usual "hold for release, and call when number 1 for takeoff". Didnt close the airport for at all.

( I would rather get the clearance while parked, rather than doing the changes while taxiing....especially at night, and in an unfamiliar airport).

Now if guys are still at the gate, and saying they are ready, now you got an arguement.

Relax....get some more experience. Things will be ok.

Last reply for clarity purposes folks!!!

Center will not let you go in this situation. You are stuck until Center gets comms with FO IDUNNO and Captain DDDUUUMMMAAASS or until the void time expires.

It's that simple. And unfortunately I have plenty of experience with this happening.

It ain't dangerous, but it sure is a pain in the butt at the butt-crack of dawn when you're trying to get to the house.

I'm definitely putting this on my gripe list for the next FESTIVAS.

Clearance is different than release. I'll get my damn clearance whenever they give it to me. If they release me, thats there prerogative. Many time after reading back the clearance I'll add "I'll call when we're number 1 for takeoff". It's not required, but it avoids the problem you described.

It's happened to me many times behind ASA newbies as well.

You must be the one who did it. Nice way to admit it. It must be those 250 hours TT you have. Maybe it's the Commercial License.

If they release me, thats there prerogative.

Learn grammar and spelling. It shows a much higher professional demeanor. It's "that's" as in "that is" (not "thats"), and "their" (not "there").

Go back to school Junior.

Last edited:
My cokc is far larger than yours. Ask my wife. She laughs at the way you still try to "push the button," but fail miserably to get the job done. The upside is that I get home to a frustrated wife, and make it happen manually. Again.

Having said that, as a Dash8 driver,

I freaking HATE it when some FMS beholden twat lands and taxis in... while a 121 flight is still clearly holding over the OM to get in waiting for said dewsh to cancel. UNV much, idiots?

The cure? Route clearance, hold for release. PDT has been conditioned to call as early as possible for a clearance to CLT. If anyone has been affected by the lack of SA, I refuse to apoligize- but offer a prayer:

May you get block or better, and the sense to turn off the gate. May the captain have a remote understanding of fuel burn, cash money without end,

Amen.

What does an FMS have to do with it? Does your KNS660 not work?

Wait..........

Does this have anything to do with this thread? NO.

Yea and we love to do a Holding Pattern on the last leg of the night waiting for you guys to fly the Full ILS in your damn ATR into AVL when Its CLR and 10 miles!

I guess were even!

But should we care? Hell I get paid Block or Better.... Don't sweat it! Taxi off the gate and wait for 20minutes for your Clearance.

The ONLY time I had to do that...

I could see the runway, twr was closed. There was fog around (1am)...could see a little on the field, but not the runway. AVL was calling 3/4 mile. Ctr can't do vectors to final (34) because he doesn't have it depicted...so...must do the full. I called it insight, but ctr wouldn't let us do the visual due to the reported vis.

Yes, I could've cxld IFR I suppse, but there was fog at most other nearby airports and in the unlikely event of "not making it in", we didn't want to do that.

I don't know what the other crews you are refering to did and why.

The ONLY time I had to do that...

I could see the runway, twr was closed. There was fog around (1am)...could see a little on the field, but not the runway. AVL was calling 3/4 mile. Ctr can't do vectors to final (34) because he doesn't have it depicted...so...must do the full. I called it insight, but ctr wouldn't let us do the visual due to the reported vis.

Yes, I could've cxld IFR I suppse, but there was fog at most other nearby airports and in the unlikely event of "not making it in", we didn't want to do that.

I don't know what the other crews you are refering to did and why.

Do you even fly for ASA? My understanding after landing and talking to the ATR Captain is that even if its 10 miles and Clear they must still do the Full Approach according to their Manual when flying into AVL.

I simply Cx'ed IFR when asked to hold and slipped right in. Instead of whinning and crying about it on FlightInfo, I instead had a nice chat with the ASA Crew and we all decided to go out for a few beers!

Last edited:
flew it for 8 years at ASA. Maybe that is a new procedure or something. I don't remember all the old FOM stuff. And I avoided AVL for a while since the layover went to crap...then it was only and RJ for a while. So it's been at least 3 or 4yrs since I did the late arrival there. I was usually there early...hence my experience with the Dash getting his clearence while at the gate.

I only did the full approach a few times. All but that one night was low IFR.

Hmmm...Maybe I inadvertantly broke a rule...well...they haven't found out yet.:cool:

You guys need to relax just a bit!! Or is this what you guys really worry at night about??

Learn grammar and spelling. It shows a much higher professional demeanor. It's "that's" as in "that is" (not "thats"), and "their" (not "there").

Go back to school Junior.

Why go back to school when I got such nice people on FI to correct me?

You must be the one who did it. Nice way to admit it. It must be those 250 hours TT you have. Maybe it's the Commercial License.

If apostrophes bother you that much, I cant imagine how big your veins get get when the airports shut down.

"If apostrophes bother you that much, I cant imagine how big your veins get get when the airports shut down."

ESL classes are offered at many metro area churches and schools.

For what it's worth, I did this once (and only once!) when I was a complete newbie on IOE. I learned quick. Once was all it took.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back