Georgia Sky Airlines @ AHN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Check out 61.51....

The Logging of flight time is what's important to this issue. Sometimes there is a difference between who is required and who can log what.

Now-you could possibly log this flight time, IF the plane doesn't have an approved autopilot, and IF it is an IFR flight.

People need to be very careful with this one.... Some companies have an insurance policy which requires two pilots, even though the FARs do not. I am not sure about this outfit, but if they have approved autopilots, no one can legally log SIC at any time.

Many scumbag operations will tell all their young impressionable F.O.s that an SIC is always required, and they can always log that time..... Maybe so, maybe not-especially if an F.O. is only required for insurance purposes.

One thing I am certain of is that the Caravan is not a two-pilot type certification aircraft. There may be times when two pilots are required, but they are not required to operate the aircraft.

Be very careful with this stuff-it can cost you a job one day if the people looking at the ol' logbook really know the regs and you are logging incorrectly. Uncomfortable questions can arise.

I undersand 61.51. (See 14CFR 61.55 (f)(2)) Even if the airplane has an autopilot, if the captain didn't get the autopilot exemption on his 8410, or does not have 100 hours in type, according to the FAR's, carrying passengers, you have to have an SIC. If you are trained, checked and required per the operaions, you can log it. Even though the minimum crew is 1 in a caravan, if the operation (through ops specs or FAR's, not insurance) requires two pilots, you can log it as SIC.

Flew over this li'l town in Georgia.

Had to pee.

Opened the door.

And so it was named: "Make on Georgia"

Closed the door and flew on.....

I undersand 61.51. (See 14CFR 61.55 (f)(2)) Even if the airplane has an autopilot, if the captain didn't get the autopilot exemption on his 8410, or does not have 100 hours in type, according to the FAR's, carrying passengers, you have to have an SIC. If you are trained, checked and required per the operaions, you can log it. Even though the minimum crew is 1 in a caravan, if the operation (through ops specs or FAR's, not insurance) requires two pilots, you can log it as SIC.

-You are correct, but many people don't understand what they are logging and why.... You have to make sure that these circumstances exist, and there are no exemptions to these rules in the ops specs.

Many people have no idea what they are logging or why. I have seen people with 250 hrs total time who logged part 135 PIC in a Baron..... No good way to address that should it come up in an interview-you are just screwed.

I would even keep a copy of the ops specs for years afterward-and take it around with you logbook when interviewing. This stuff will look fishy in a real interview, but once you explain it, the interviewer will be O.K.

Just be conservative and have a very thorough understanding of what yuo can log, not just "the C.P. told me it was O.K." to log sort of stuff....

If two airlines service the same airport the sub. is not renewed..

One flys from MCN the other from MAC (Macon downtown Herbert Smart.) does seem like a wast.

I tried to jump seat on these guys the other day, but no dice. So I paid the $37 bucks and rode in a nice NEW caravan all by myself up to ATL. No TSA hassel in MCN and it was pennies more than the van ride. (Prices were do to double the next day) I cool to be in the 'van again but I'm sure I had as much time in the thing as the whole flight crew.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back