Future Prospects Ahead for Legacy ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Peace out!

2. Of course everything is negotiable. My point is that you make absolutes about B funds yet continently leave out other things management wants to negotiate like vacation low, PBS, and dual dual.

3. We can improve reserve right now during negotiations just by wiping out ASA reserve rules and implementing XJT's reserve rules. You betrayed your selfishness with your original response that improving reserve rules would decrease QOL.

4. Your seniority is a hindrance to the company. Dual qual mitigates that. Ignoring the fact that the less total aircraft you have, the lower your QOL becomes. But you cant see past the M in me. We get it, you got yours and screw everyone else.

5. I know its not about only me. Notice that I said "only you" and not just "you." That is the difference with you. You seem to be thinking of ONLY you.

6. Management can get more savings from a single group between the two of us. And they can get more savings from merging all three groups. I'm positive the they have done the cost benefit analysis on that. Has nothing to do with Skywest pilot's wishes by the way. But there is a way of doing it. See my reply to you below.

Just because SKW does it a certain way doesn't mean that is the only way it can be done. There are examples in your contract now that were negotiated after SKW bought you guys, PBS as one small example. You just look for reason why certain things wont work in order to appease your selfishness. For starters, your assertion that dual qual increases costs has assumptions that arent set in stone. For instance, with a blended rate, training costs would actually go down. But you conveniently leave that out. Just because SKW uses an override does't mean it has to be that way for everyone else in the universe. Point being that there is ways of doing things but you have to let go the selfishness in order to think of how it could benefit the company and the pilot group as a WHOLE. Don't let your selfishness use excuses why things wont work and be beneficial to everyone.

I'm sure you'll think of other reasons why it wont work just to suit your selfish point of view. Why don't you think of reasons of how it can work and weigh the pluses and minuses?

By the way, why do you respond in blue and within quotes?

In summary, "We" cannot have any influence over merging all because ALL are not willing participants and the INC MGMT has been very clear that it will not happen--ask the Xjet guys. And if we were, there would be a cost too steep to make it happen. Based on the history above, most pilots wouldn't want to make those kind of sacrifices. It's a pipedream and the benefits would never outweight the benefits--history proves it!

Sure, it can be done without losing anything. Its not easy but there is a process for it. Its called a single carrier certificate. Like I said, it wont be easy and it may not even be possible at this time. But there is a path to a single list that doesn't require negotiating capital.

There is no way someone going from six months of flying the -200 just hops in a -900 and has a stellar time of it. No way.

When XJT had both the 145s and 135s, the scheduling committee would build lines that had you flying both aircraft. They build the lines where even though you were based in one base you flew through all the bases. Flying through all the bases and flying both aircraft in order to increase productivity of the pilots. This prevented the problem that you see in your 200s only doing short legs and decreasing productivity. You even out the productivity among all pilots and therefore making everyone equally productive. Both good for the union and the company. I would suspect that is eventually what would happen if you had dual qual. Of course this wouldn't be good for the senior guys from a QOL point of view.

Last edited:
Or even the 200 vs 700. Systems are less complex on the 7/9 as well as it lands COMPLETELY different from the 200.

LOL!

An airplane is an airplane. They all land somewhat the same, power to idle, flare. 200 you start pulling power at 100 ft idle by 50 feet. 700/900 start pulling power at 50 ft idle by 10.

When the instructors flew both one told me he lands both the same, idle at 50. In the 700/900 you need to be more careful with your energy management. You know, that pilot ish.

I have thousands of hours in 200 and the 700. Are they different, sure. Landing is a bit different too. But, it is a welcome challenge to me. If you want to jump on the bandwagon that it's "Unsafe" to fly both an a daily basis, I have to ask why? If you truely believe that you are operating at 100% capacity in your brain and adding another aircraft type will send you over the edge, then honestly, please quit and find another profession. I don't want you up front when I'm DH in the back or my family is onboard. I seriously want to question your desire to be a pilot if you don't enjoy the challenges of the job.

Sure, we have to work out the $$$ for dual qual, but it stands, in my opinion, to be a win-win-win in my book. We win because we increase the number of aircraft in the pool for schedules to be created from. The company wins for the same reason and also less reserve coverage required. I'm not advocating a furlough. But I am advocating a profitable company. Our customers (Delta, United, etc) win because we are more flexible in providing what they need. Imagine, if you will, that United is ready to add a few 700's to the IAD operation. They will not do it with the seperate ops that we require. Same holds true for DTW adding 200's. And, I will continue to say that we need to look down the road at the big picture that "We" want this airline to go to. For me, that means merging ops with Skywest. Who really thinks that would be a bad thing with almost a thousand aircraft and bases all over the country. Trips that could cover all four corners.

Bottom line is we drew a line in the sand before we ever flew the aircraft that it required seperate ops. Other carriers did not. They have no accident history and a record of growth that exceeds ours.

If you truely believe that you are operating at 100% capacity in your brain and adding another aircraft type will send you over the edge, then honestly, please quit and find another profession.

I know you've been in Nam for a while, but in case you haven't heard, ASA has been scheduling their pilots for 5-8 legs a day after scheduled (not operational) reduced rest overnights. Since you can't use 100% of your brain on a message board post, I doubt you're using 100% of it on the 13th hour of duty after an 8 hour scheduled overnight where you got 5 hours of sleep. Don't be a moron.

I know you've been in Nam for a while, but in case you haven't heard, ASA has been scheduling their pilots for 5-8 legs a day after scheduled (not operational) reduced rest overnights. Since you can't use 100% of your brain on a message board post, I doubt you're using 100% of it on the 13th hour of duty after an 8 hour scheduled overnight where you got 5 hours of sleep. Don't be a moron.

You have many assumptions in that post.

Latest resources

Back