• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future Prospects Ahead for Legacy ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course SW pilots don't desire a merger. Like previously pointed out. Non union companies reap all of the benefits from their ALPA counterparts.
It is what it is. You need to get over that and move on. Why do you even care what they get?

And of course JA wouldn't want a merger either.
And until he does,if ever, it WILL NOT HAPPEN! He has the ideal situation with at least 2 Companies within Inc competing for flying. Maintaining them separately, helps control the costs of both (If we are smart.)

What manager would want scope protection, yet it does exist. The point is that if we wanted, and we should want, a merger is possible.
I want a million dollars. Gaining it is more likely to happen than any "want" we have for a merger. You should apply for JA's job, maybe then you could change it. But, then, if you had his insight, you probably wouldn't want it to happen.

We wouldn't need SW pilots approval.
You may need to get a reality check on this one. Are you able to force your significant other to do something he/she does not want to do? We are not dictators or Kings. We also have very little leverage in this matter.

The only history of this happening in this industry that I am familiar with is the American Eagle Project and the Mesa/Freedom Project. At Amercian Eagle, three or four commuters (that was what they were called) that were outsourcers for American, all were willing participants for a slaughter in the mid 90's. They wanted it so bad that they were willing to make concessions and sign a 15 year contract. They managed to put it together, but at a significant long term cost. That contract ran out last year. Now look at the situation, what good did it do them? At Mesa, they had to give away the farm to get Freedom on their list. Again, what good did it do them?

In summary, "We" cannot have any influence over merging all because ALL are not willing participants and the INC MGMT has been very clear that it will not happen--ask the Xjet guys. And if we were, there would be a cost too steep to make it happen. Based on the history above, most pilots wouldn't want to make those kind of sacrifices. It's a pipedream and the benefits would never outweight the benefits--history proves it!

Originally Posted by aircombat
Of course SW pilots don't desire a merger. Like previously pointed out. Non union companies reap all of the benefits from their ALPA counterparts.
It is what it is. You need to get over that and move on. Why do you even care what they get?

Well you should. They are getting your beloved 700/900s
Your American Eagle and Mesa examples are completely different. I don't know if there is an example of a union airline forcing a merger with a non union airline. ALPA seems to like the whipsaw and it will be their downfall. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. And mark my words the cost of not doing so will eventually be higher than not.

Last edited:
Lol of course it is safer to operate 200/700 separately just as it is safer to stay in bed all day than to risk getting up and hurting yourself

Were are the accident examples. And FWI I have been between nearly every seat from the ATR to 900.

So what, you've flown four airplanes? Whoop de friggin doo. There is no way someone going from six months of flying the -200 just hops in a -900 and has a stellar time of it. No way. You assume the people you work with are competent. You have to look at the entire pilot group and understand exactly what you're dealing with. Safety departments look at the big picture, which isn't you. Plenty of idiots here who get through only by the graces of their ******************** eating Southern accent.

Hell I'm scary enough in just one aircraft here and I've flown 40 different types.... I'm a no vote on dual qual.
Having just done 200,700 and 900 in one 4 day trip, while they all look similar, the differences are enough to be a distraction.

Latest resources

Back