• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future pilot shortage...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So when I get my ATP will everyone shut up about it being only for the select few?

I got mine with $2000 in JAX!

So you would be one of the select few with $2000 to spare. It turns out the 'right stuff' is ca$h ;)

I got mine with $2000 in JAX!

So you would be one of the select few with $2000 to spare. It turns out the 'right stuff' is ca$h ;)

Like putting a screen door on submarine in your case. Useless. You should have used that $2,000 in Vegas. You might have had a chance of interaction with a female..................assuming you like them.

I bet you brag to your geek computer buddies your a pilot..........So easy, a PhD in Scientific Computing can do it.

Interesting Cynic didn't have an ATP before he starting yapping about easy it was. Then he changes his profile. Interesting he forgot to change less than 1500 hours. Isn't that a requirement?

Look for his Shuttle rating next.

Next discussion, why Universities are trending away from the tenure track.

To get rid rid of worthless, lazy, inept, egotistical professors who think the world revolves around them. The think they are so irreplaceable. I say take away their pensions, boot them to the curb with thier high salaries and let the younger, more energenic professors teach.

Last edited:
First off.... single pilot IFR in a twin piston turbo with no autopilot is WAY more difficult than flying around in an RJ or a citation. you guys are nuts!

Not really in the discussion, but I fly single pilot in an old steam gauge Citation with no modern avionics and it is not that easy. No FMS or glass on this old bird, but it keeps my skills sharp on the part 91 anything "safe" goes days.

Seems like the ATP was a bigger deal back then when we had to take our logbooks to the FSDO and have our flight hours verified before we could take the ATP written...But any tard could pencil whip a logbook.

I remember when I went to the ACDO (Air Carrier District Office) No FSDO's back then....... and had my log book reviewed. It took over an hour as the Inspector went page by page and asked about my flying experience. He knew most of the people I worked with, had flown some of the same aircraft, and even knew some of the problem aircraft with systems that just never worked right. I looked at it as a rite of passage.

I had a co-worker going for his ATP log book sign off show me his log book. He was trying to impress me with his 150 hours of Boeing 737 time. I asked him how he could log 737 PIC time when he was not rated in a 737 and never worked for a company that flew 737's. In hind sight I should not have said anything but let him show his log book that way.

There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance. Stupid is bone deep, ignorance is just lack of education. You can teach the ignorant. With stupidity the only cure is death.

Using the word "tard" is bad form. Someone born with a medical (mental) condition (retarded) should not be scorned. They can't help it. Someone who is stupid, IMHO choses to be that way. Being ignorant is lack of education.

So how again is any of this to do with a "pilot shortage"?

It sounds to me that there is a shortage coming to the regionals because the job isn't worth it due to the poor QOL, low pay, and no light at the end of the tunnel to move on. Maybe those of you in regional airline management should think about treating your employees better and raising their compensation instead of wringing your hands about how you're going to staff the airplanes in a few years. By reading most of the ASA posts on this board, it doesn't sound like you're doing a very good job!

I think the regionals have some problems coming their way, notably the compensation they get from the Majors. Unless the business model changes, regional airlines are going to have some big changes over the next few years. Hopefully I'll be gone by then.

Sure, pay can go up, but only so much. It isn't the top-end pay that is the problem, it is the bottom-end pay. The unions are the ones who have focused on the top-end, and essentially ignored the bottom-end.

It would make way more sense to start in the mid 40s, and end in the low 90s rather than make a much smaller wage for so long before getting into the bigger dollars. Financially it is better to make a modest wage for a long period of time than a low wage for a long time, then a high wage for the last 10 years. But hey, I'm not an accountant.

It can be done, look at the military the 350 hr is flying on to a boat at night in IFR rain, how does he do it? He trains to do it.
PT,
The military pilots are the best of the best, cream of the crop, unlike the latest generation of entitlement generation crop of knuckleheads flying the average RJ. To equate a 350 hr Naval Aviator doing night traps to a 350 hr Bridge School grad who's parents "loaned" him/her the money to jump start their airline career isn't appropriate. Kind of like comparing Sen. John Glenn to CX880.
'nuff said!
PBR

Next discussion, why Universities are trending away from the tenure track.

To get rid rid of worthless, lazy, inept, egotistical professors who think the world revolves around them. The think they are so irreplaceable. I say take away their pensions, boot them to the curb with thier high salaries and let the younger, more energenic professors teach.

Which is why unions are trying to get a toehold in University jobs.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-03-03-column03_ST_N.htm

There are other reasons for the new-found love between unions and the ivory tower. First, the colleges employ white-collar workers, a group increasingly targeted by unions as factory jobs disappear. And second, they are public employees. According to a 2010 report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the majority of the country's union members are government workers, rather than private-sector workers, for the first time. Moreover, the anti-corporate tone on many campuses and the left-leaning political views of college professors make them naturally more receptive to the union message.
But the unions could in turn make the environment more left-leaning. As historian KC Johnson wrote in an article on the perils of academic unions, "Since few academics enter the profession to become labor activists, those who gravitate toward union service are more likely to fall on the fringes of a professoriate that already is ideologically one-sided."
The rise of adjunct labor is also an important reason that faculty have been increasingly open to organizing. With the job market in academia so competitive and positions so unstable, many professors have decided that if they can't have tenure, they'll take the security of a union instead. Of course, plenty of faculty members have both. And with that sort of belt-and-suspenders security you can expect that even the laziest, most incompetent or radical professor won't get fired.
Solidarity over education
Some observers worry that unions desire more than job protection. They want to influence how the whole system works. Peter Kirsanow, a former member of the National Labor Relations Board, has noted that unions "want to get into curricula, class schedules, grading norms, etc."

Latest resources

Back