Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed mainline pilots entitled to left seat of their regional carriers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You couldn't be more wrong!!!!

The last time UA furloughed, Skywest took some of those guys to the bottom of the seniority list, and UA supplemented their first year pay.

And BTW, if I get furloughed Skywest will be down to about 3 airplanes :D

United did not supplement their pay, UALPA did.

I think that's a valid argument by mainline pilots. If... Said regional is owned by them and the seniority of both pilot groups is transferred both ways. That has/will never happen. Therefore, that is total BS. Regionals do CONTRACT work for mainline carriers. Minus a few, that is the only relation they have to that carrier. Just because the regionals share a paint job doesn't give a mainline pilot the right to partial ownership of that company. By that logic, a regional pilot should keep his or her date of hire if they move to a major that shares their paint job.

All that said, I do understand the frustrations of a mainline pilot who spends years flying around RJ's only to get laid off after making an "improvement" to their career. It's no secret this industry is grossly flawed. Just wait until everyone has to start hiring again and the reality of no one wanting to fly anymore resurfaces.

I love to fly, but if I get furloughed, I'm out. Some of us just can't take the financial insecurity. Very sad but it's reality.

Well, at Skywest, some of the junior pilots don't have enough PIC/crew time to upgrade, and some guys may elect to stay an FO in the RJ, instead of upgrading in the EMB

Ah, I see. The whole point of this thread (was) zero seniority captains, and I thought your point above was furloughees bringing a little sumpn' sumpn' along.

In your specific case, whatever seat a newhire can hold has no bearing on seniority- it makes a difference with what experience the logbook shows when the bidding for equipment/seats begins... gotcha.

just to clarify, I think the push that is going on is for left seat jobs only in growth airplanes that result from mainline shrinking. From what I understand, the push is for the left seat positions, but still be put at the bottom of the seniority list. Therefore nobody bumps anybody.
Unless your are getting ready to upgrade

No double standards....if mainline are good enough to be thrown into the left seat of an RJ, then an RJ Captain is good enough to assume a possition on a mainline seniority list.

You want to fix the whole mess- No regionals....ONE LIST. That fixes it. It's never going to happen though, as it's been tried before. Mainline brands it as a "grab at seniority"..........

Sorry to say but the "Mainline" pilots BONED us. Years ago they relaxed the scope which allowed these large FREAKin 86 seat "RJ's" to be operated by contract carriers. I love how they are pissed as us and want the rights to the left seat at their feeders but had they never relaxed the scope we wouldn't even be in this situation. All jets should be mainline... simple as that. I'd much rather be sitting on reserve at a mainline carrier flying the same equipment I'm flying now rather than spending 5-10 years at a "regional" then starting at the bottom of a mainline seniority list. The whole industry is SCREWed... In the years to come, it's gonna end up being a brand of a mainline being flown by numerious contract airlines domestically and the international POOP flown by the core mainline. SCREW that!!! It's all bullDUNG..

WELL SAID! How about it you mainline guys, instead of that, I got mine attitude.

Holy Sh!t.................Here we go!

...............and no! Unless I am entitled to a seat at their airline when the tables are turned.

You mean a flowthrough/flowback.

No thanks. Didn't work out to well for Eagle, and I doubt it'll work out for another regional.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back