Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed mainline pilots entitled to left seat of their regional carriers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry to say but the "Mainline" pilots ********************ed us. Years ago they relaxed the scope which allowed these large ********************in 86 seat "RJ's" to be operated by contract carriers. I love how they are pissed as us and want the rights to the left seat at their feeders but had they never relaxed the scope we wouldn't even be in this situation. All jets should be mainline... simple as that. I'd much rather be sitting on reserve at a mainline carrier flying the same equipment I'm flying now rather than spending 5-10 years at a "regional" then starting at the bottom of a mainline seniority list. The whole industry is ********************ed... In the years to come, it's gonna end up being a brand of a mainline being flown by numerious contract airlines domestically and the international ******************** flown by the core mainline. ******************** that!!! It's all bull********************..

I keep hearing that mainline pilots are pushing for this to happen but it seems unlikely to me. Anyone else have an opinion or information about this subject?

Maybe--the ones that left in the last 18 months--a minority.

Let's create Straw Dogs! I would rather spend time on this forum resolving what fuel prices should be next week! I vote for $1.05 a gallon!

Last edited:
I was just passing on what some people told me was happening...I wasn't trying to defend either side of the argument.

That's fine but it did seem to me to have a certain spin on it.

Obviously the mainline pilots wouldn't be concerned about being at the bottom of the seniority list because they would have already jumped ahead of everyone waiting to upgrade and they don't have a long term stake in it because they intend to return to their mainline position. Add a provision that they have to give up their seniority at their mainline carrier and sign a long term contract with the regional to get that left seat and I'll bet they wouldn't find the bottom of the seniority list very appealing.

I was just passing on what some people told me was happening...I wasn't trying to defend either side of the argument.

Nobody is blaming you Saturn. Just discussing the merits of the topic that you brought up. If you don't want us to discuss it, don't bring it up.

Nobody bumps anybody???? What about the senior FO's who've been waitting for the right combination of factors to upgrade?

Making people captains out of seniority is wrong!!!!!!!!

Should they get preferencial hiring? ABSOLUTELY!

But to the bottom of the list, and whatever seat they can hold. If mainline again wants to supplement their pay, then that's a bonus.

Don't mess with the seniority system.

So what you are saying is that mainline pilots should have preferencial treatment? WHY?

Then you say they should get supplemental pay from mainline?

You sound like an elitist mainline pilot about to be furloughed who thinks he is entitled to the left seat at regional with supplemental pay. :mad:

Should they get preferencial hiring? ABSOLUTELY!

But to the bottom of the list, and whatever seat they can hold.

Migraine alert! What does this mean? Because this statement:

Don't mess with the seniority system.

means that they hold the exact seat a newhire would hold. Seniority zero. Am I missing something here, or have we confused seniority with longevity? I've completely missed the point, and I'm sure there is one.

So what you are saying is that mainline pilots should have preferencial treatment? WHY?

Then you say they should get supplemental pay from mainline?

You sound like an elitist mainline pilot about to be furloughed who thinks he is entitled to the left seat at regional with supplemental pay. :mad:

You couldn't be more wrong!!!!

The last time UA furloughed, Skywest took some of those guys to the bottom of the seniority list, and UA supplemented their first year pay.

And BTW, if I get furloughed Skywest will be down to about 3 airplanes :D

Nobody is blaming you Saturn. Just discussing the merits of the topic that you brought up. If you don't want us to discuss it, don't bring it up.

Migraine alert! What does this mean? Because this statement:

means that they hold the exact seat a newhire would hold. Seniority zero. Am I missing something here, or have we confused seniority with longevity? I've completely missed the point, and I'm sure there is one.

Well, at Skywest, some of the junior pilots don't have enough PIC/crew time to upgrade, and some guys may elect to stay an FO in the RJ, instead of upgrading in the EMB

Latest resources

Back