Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed mainline pilots entitled to left seat of their regional carriers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is about new growth airplanes that wouldn't even be coming if it weren't for mainline shrinking. When UAL released the plans for shrinking the mainline fleet, they simultaneously announced an increase of 10%-12% for UAL Express. You're growing at the expense of mainline, and those planes wouldn't even be coming to you if it weren't for the mainline pilots having to suffer a furlough. You shouldn't be entitled to those upgrade seats until every furloughed mainline pilot is back at mainline. Those left seats should go to the furloughed guys. If you want the upgrade slots on aircraft that aren't new growth, and just from attrition, then go for it. But the new growth aircraft should be crewed by furloughed pilots.

Others may have said it better:

I see your point and feel for the guys that took the risk during this last upswing and left...But it was a RISK to leave and they knew it. Some took a risk and stayed. I just don't agree with giving up left seats out of seniority when those that left knew full-well the risk they were taking.

If the regional was wholly-owned I could see more sense in this; but I still don't think it'd be fair to the guys that stayed. But a completely separate company that contracts for the major...they have no obligation to give up seats out of seniority.

This whole oil situation sucks for everyone.

Again, though the regionals may be growing at the expense of mainline, that is NOT the fault AT ALL of regional pilots. We did not "steal" anyone's flying. MAINLINE pilots refused to fly RJs way back when, relegating them to the feeder airlines. MAINLINE management went overboard by continuing to farm out flying to Express.

just to clarify, I think the push that is going on is for left seat jobs only in growth airplanes that result from mainline shrinking. From what I understand, the push is for the left seat positions, but still be put at the bottom of the seniority list. Therefore nobody bumps anybody.

Except a right seat FO would have no career advancement after sitting in said seat for over 8 years - same poor schlep has probably never cracked even 30 grand.

Please tell me how your moronic logic make sense in regard to fairness. And for the record I'm pilot at a major, in other words for self preservation this would help me but I have a SPINE!!!!

Except a right seat FO would have no career advancement after sitting in said seat for over 8 years - same poor schlep has probably never cracked even 30 grand.

Please tell me how your moronic logic make sense in regard to fairness. And for the record I'm pilot at a major, in other words for self preservation this would help me but I have a SPINE!!!!
hey genius,

try going back to page one of this thread and reading my post where I said I was simply passing on information I heard about this subject, not arguing one side over the other. If your non-moronic logic and your spine could support it, reading comprehension would show you that I was not promoting this.

hey genius,

try going back to page one of this thread and reading my post where I said I was simply passing on information I heard about this subject, not arguing one side over the other. If your non-moronic logic and your spine could support it, reading comprehension would show you that I was not promoting this.

Quit backpeddling Saturn...You are well known as one of the ALPA cheerleaders..along with PCL and Rez...

You jumped in this argument towing the company line regarding mainline pilots getting super-seniority at the regionals...As you can see nobody is buying the BS this downturn....

Take your snake oil and peddle it in Herndon....Someone may buy it up there....

There should be no abrogation of seniority. If Yonited pilots want to fly those planes, yonited should buy those planes. The United pilots are not in a strong position here. Their airplanes are gone. It's a little late to be thinking about a flowup/down agreement. Remember your history. How were the AWAC guys treated by the United pilots years ago?

There should be no abrogation of seniority. If Yonited pilots want to fly those planes, yonited should buy those planes. The United pilots are not in a strong position here. Their airplanes are gone. It's a little late to be thinking about a flowup/down agreement. Remember your history. How were the AWAC guys treated by the United pilots years ago?

AMEN!

You mainline folks are going to have a harder time selling your Jets4jobs BS this time around....As you can tell most aren't falling for it this time.....

Where will you place the "growth" RJs if nobody agrees to give up their seniority?

Simple they will create a new wholly owned regional staffed exclusively by mainline pilots to fly the large RJ's, it will be called Mid Atlan... oh crap we did that already. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with jets for jobs per se, but if it happens the way they want it to on the scale they're talking about most of us will be stuck as FO's for the next 5-10 years. Even with a flow up this is not a very good deal for us. I'll withhold judgement until I see the details but for now I'm skeptical.

Quit backpeddling Saturn...You are well known as one of the ALPA cheerleaders..along with PCL and Rez...

You jumped in this argument towing the company line regarding mainline pilots getting super-seniority at the regionals...As you can see nobody is buying the BS this downturn....

Take your snake oil and peddle it in Herndon....Someone may buy it up there....
Hey Joe,

Since you keep calling me an ALPA cheerleader, even though I don't work at Herndon and have nothing to do with ALPA other than being a member, I am going to start calling you the decertification fairy, since you seem to believe in this magical fairy tale of a strong independent union for Skywest and ASA that is financially next to impossible. Then together we can lower the standards of FI even more.

I'm not backpedaling on this thread because I never came out towing anybody's line to begin with. I simply mentioned more information that I HEARD people were fighting for. I never said I agreed or disagreed with it anywhere...take your snake oil and turn it into reading comprehension.

Last edited:
"Decertification fairy." I love it!. Short Bus has a new nickname! :beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back