• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedum 6243

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would write that to, to cover my ass. But he stated "we have smoke" and "the smoke has not got any worse". whats critical about being above 10,000

above 10000ft talking to TWR? come on son. they were in the sterile troubleshooting. it wasnt even bad enough to don the mask ... its ok son, i understand you were looking for a chance to make mesa pilots look like sub par aviaters. but its ok...try again some other time

above 10000ft talking to TWR? come on son. they were in the sterile troubleshooting. it wasnt even bad enough to don the mask ... its ok son, i understand you were looking for a chance to make mesa pilots look like sub par aviaters. but its ok...try again some other time

I could not have said it any better.

Quite possibly the quote of the decade.

W

Running a checklist? YGTBFSM..... Lightning strike, shattered window, smoke (actual or smell), you'll find me, and every other professional putting it on the ground and worrying about the checklist later.

You can squawk all you want about the FAA wanting to know if checklist were used should the feces hit the rotating air mover. Truth be told there will be a lot more hell to pay if you let an airplane burn out from under you while you screw with checklists..... Stop making excuses and letting adherence to SOPs / checklists make up for a lack of sound airmanship. You need both to do this job right, and part of that is knowing when to toss the checklist in the floor.

Must non-sub-par aviators can at least spell the word correctly....

-Yeah-You rock, Mesa rocks, and life is getting better every day!

-It really ain't too cool when ATC has to declare an emergency for guys who are to wussy to delare one on their own.... Tends to raise an eyebrow or two with the big guys.

Things like "smoke in the cockpit" "shattered windshield" and "lightning strike" are commonly referred to as hints. Hints that something is probably not right. Smart "aviators" take these hints and apply them in a practical manner. Of course, being such an "above-par-aviator," you already knew that-eh, P-Dumb?

This is way easy; cracked window alone means return. Stop the climb, ask for lower and an immediate return. Call for trucks standing by. Land the plane go home. Repeat as necessary.

Just so everyone knows: The Mesa pilots defending them is wrong again. If ATC has to declare the Emergency for you....gimme a break. That crew did not act quickly enough. It sounds to me like they were doing everything in their power not to declare an emergency. Not safe at all and has no business in the 121 world. Lightning strike, spiderweb windshield, smoke in the cockpit? No Emergency?!? Are you guys that clueless??? Friends don't let friends and loved one's fly on Mesa/Freedumb......Accident waiting to happen.

again I say, compare our record to those at other airlines

Last edited:
Geez, who do so many pilots think that declaring an emergency is either humiliating, makes one less of a Captain/Pilot, shows inexperience or embarassing. ???? There are't any "score cards" that deduct points from a Captain when an emergency is declared.

There is no harm in declaring an emergency when in doubt...and it sounded like they were in doubt. And one can always un-declare an emergency too if the situation warrants. It's no big deal...

Latest resources

Back