• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedum 6243

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just talked to the FO today... in their defense they had to run a few checklist and asses the situation. It wasnt as big of a mess you all are making it seem. they landed the plane safely and switched planes and carried on with the flight.

and seven.....

you can still suck a fat one

Checklists OK, but 10 minutes to sit there and think about it? What's there to think about? Lots of smoke or a little bit of smoke after a stike..............Within seconds the situation would be figured out. "We get struck by lightening, the window shattered and I smell smoke." "Ok, all makes sense.....Lets head towards an airport right now!" Were they considering continuing to their destination with a shattered window, let alone having something buring in the aircraft? Even without the smoke, if I smell somthing buring, I'm outta there. Window shattered, I'm still putting her down.

When people talk about experience in the cockpit, I don't think being able to say you were struck by lightening and your window cracked means that you now have experience. I think the experience that everyone looks or is the ability to make PIC decisions, or the ability to back up the PIC in those situations.

If your voice is that in dispare over a radio, regardless of the situation, then obviously something is very wrong and you are way outside of your comfort level. Do something about it! Don't wait for ATC to tell you what to do.

Samballs, you are an a-s h-le
everybody once in a while hesitates about declaring an emergency. It all depends on the severity of the matter. if it's under control no big deal.
Deconneur.....
Those are the people who only know to do what the book says and refuse to make choices outside of the QRH. The FO may say it wasn't as bad, but his voice over the radio said other wise. And when did lighting, smoke, and broken window not become an emergency. They did not have it under control, they were no help to ATC and she was as busy as could be. They said we may declare an emergency then never said anything only when she said whats up, did they say we need to go back (a lot later). So for about 10 minutes they flew away from a closer airport with a broken window, smoke, and were in thunder storms. Good job.

Checklists OK, but 10 minutes to sit there and think about it? What's there to think about? Lots of smoke or a little bit of smoke after a stike..............Within seconds the situation would be figured out. "We get struck by lightening, the window shattered and I smell smoke." "Ok, all makes sense.....Lets head towards an airport right now!" Were they considering continuing to their destination with a shattered window, let alone having something buring in the aircraft? Even without the smoke, if I smell somthing buring, I'm outta there. Window shattered, I'm still putting her down.

When people talk about experience in the cockpit, I don't think being able to say you were struck by lightening and your window cracked means that you now have experience. I think the experience that everyone looks or is the ability to make PIC decisions, or the ability to back up the PIC in those situations.

If your voice is that in dispare over a radio, regardless of the situation, then obviously something is very wrong and you are way outside of your comfort level. Do something about it! Don't wait for ATC to tell you what to do.
Before they even said anything I felt bad for the controller, she multiple freq. everyone stepping on each other, and when they started giving her partial information it made it worse cause now she had an AC stopped at an altitude that was not correct and she had no clue what they were going to do next. The controller did a great job once he said "be advised, we were hit by lighting or something, have a spidered window, and smoke in the cabin" she said go direct CVG, and declared an emergency for him. Again these two pilots should hang it up, handled a emergency badly. I agree with you on exp., but lets face it when we talk about exp. we don't talk about mesa.

Lightening strikes are rare. I have been hit 3 times in my 10 year Airline career. and besides a DC generator coming off line and then back on after a reset its wasn't a big deal.

Now, If I got hit and the window cracked and then smoke filled the cabin? Hello!!!! Emergency and 180 degree turn back to the runway. A Crack window I can live with, but if the cabin starts to fill with smoke well then folks that isn't good at all. Here you are maybe talking seconds from people living or people dying from toxic fumes from the plane.

Aren't most airlines Smoke detection an a immeditate action item and land soon as possible. I don't think they want you fumbling threw a checklist with smoke filling the cabin.
I can see it now, smoke filled cabin.. FA's Hair on fire and the Captain is asking for a smoke in cabin checklist to be completed and then vectors back to the landing runway.

Samballs, you are an a-s h-le
everybody once in a while hesitates about declaring an emergency. It all depends on the severity of the matter. if it's under control no big deal.
Deconneur.....

What?? YGTBSM. Damaged windscreen, smoke in the cabin after a lightning strike?? You declare an emergency YESTERDAY and return to the airport NOW.

You are a CRJ Captain? Holy flaming balls of ********************ake mushrooms. Please God, do not let me ever get onboard this clueless morons airplane. Ever. Never.

You aren't an ass___, you're an incompetent fool if you think these pilots handled this situation appropriately.

I'm gonna go out on a very sturdy giant limb and guess you flew at Colgan.

W

After further investigating. The write up shows it "smelled like something burning". no actual smoke. And in this day in age, if a crash happens or people die the investigators and FAA look to see who's pants are at their ankles. You should always run checklist and refer to the EPC in these such situations. Because if the FAA or NTSB find out something was done wrong and the proper checklist weren't run, then they will place it solely on the pilots.

Also these pilots were at a critical phase of flight and multiple task must be done. Remember, aviate then communicate. Its easy for everyone to arm chair quarterback, but you must put yourselves in their shoes. Situations like this don't happen all the time.

btw, you think Mesa has a good safety record for no reason?? Its the pilots and MX crew who keep such a clean slate

What?? YGTBSM. Damaged windscreen, smoke in the cabin after a lightning strike?? You declare an emergency YESTERDAY and return to the airport NOW.

You are a CRJ Captain? Holy flaming balls of ********************ake mushrooms. Please God, do not let me ever get onboard this clueless morons airplane. Ever. Never.

You aren't an ass___, you're an incompetent fool if you think these pilots handled this situation appropriately.

I'm gonna go out on a very sturdy giant limb and guess you flew at Colgan.

W

Ohh boy here we go!

After further investigating. The write up shows it "smelled like something burning". no actual smoke. And in this day in age, if a crash happens or people die the investigators and FAA look to see who's pants are at their ankles. You should always run checklist and refer to the EPC in these such situations. Because if the FAA or NTSB find out something was done wrong and the proper checklist weren't run, then they will place it solely on the pilots.

Also these pilots were at a critical phase of flight and multiple task must be done. Remember, aviate then communicate. Its easy for everyone to arm chair quarterback, but you must put yourselves in their shoes. Situations like this don't happen all the time.

btw, you think Mesa has a good safety record for no reason?? Its the pilots and MX crew who keep such a clean slate
I would write that to, to cover my ass. But he stated "we have smoke" and "the smoke has not got any worse". whats critical about being above 10,000

Latest resources

Back