• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedum 6243

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How could anyone with the remotest sense of how airplanes work continue to climb with a cracked windshield? With increasing cabin differential pressure, that is just asking for trouble (if indeed they kept climbing). If everything is normal and I think I smell a little smoke, I may give it a minute to see if any visible smoke is evident.

But after a lightning strike, anyone would be within reason to assume that any smokey smell is the real deal. We're filling our flight decks with inexperience. It's only a matter or time until more incidents occur.

I remember years ago during my upgrade sim training, one of the lessons involved several simultaneous complex problems including fire. It became immediately apparent that there wasn't sufficient time to run all (or even any) of the checklists, and the appropriate course of action was to tell the FO to put down the QRH and brief the cabin for an immediate landing, screw all the checklists. It was a lesson I would have assumed all captains have had, but I guess not at Mesa.

I remember years ago during my upgrade sim training, one of the lessons involved several simultaneous complex problems including fire. It became immediately apparent that there wasn't sufficient time to run all (or even any) of the checklists, and the appropriate course of action was to tell the FO to put down the QRH and brief the cabin for an immediate landing, screw all the checklists. It was a lesson I would have assumed all captains have had, but I guess not at Mesa.

In this case, Point the aircraft at the nearest suitable airport, you then have some time then get to checklist. Prioritize, maybe you won't get through it all in a situation like cabin smoke/fire. If that is the case, I'm landing anyway...not delaying to finish a checklist.

They pay us to think, not to fly the book into the ground

I've been struck by lightning several times over the years. Each time there has been a distinct odor that smells like someone is welding in the aircraft. As I understand it, oxygen/ozone being rapidly heated, by the discharge, ionizes creating the odor. That in itself does not constitute an emergency in my mind. For all the captain's "armchair quarterbacking", how many times have you had an inexperienced and stressed FO say exactly what you expected them to say when they pressed the PTT? Perhap's this is something the captain communicated to the FO, after his transmission. We don't know because we were not there. As for the cracked windshield they got the airplane on the ground in a timely manner and nobody was hurt, though I agree they probably should have declared. Lots of judgements and definitive statements being made with very little information and lots of assumptions. And no I don't now and never have worked for Mesa.

Just a thought. The F.O. was trying to run a checklist and the captain was giving instructions. The F.O. was listening to ATC, the captain, and running an emergency checklist all at the same time and got tongue twisted on the radio in the excitement. I have been there. I had smoke while pulling the gear up coming out of ORD. It is way more exciting than when it happens in the sim. The cockpit lit up like a Christmas tree on our second leg which was the second plane with no APU and after the second set of first flight checks. De-icing with snow and limited visibility.

It was at least 30-45 seconds before I heard Tower yelling "Air Shuttle are you still here?"

And the sun wasn't even up yet. Give the crew a brake and let them tell their side of this before you pass judgment. I have a feeling that this will be an amazing story.

Kudos to the crew for the safe return.

I've been struck by lightning several times over the years. Each time there has been a distinct odor that smells like someone is welding in the aircraft. As I understand it, oxygen/ozone being rapidly heated, by the discharge, ionizes creating the odor. That in itself does not constitute an emergency in my mind. For all the captain's "armchair quarterbacking", how many times have you had an inexperienced and stressed FO say exactly what you expected them to say when they pressed the PTT? Perhap's this is something the captain communicated to the FO, after his transmission. We don't know because we were not there. As for the cracked windshield they got the airplane on the ground in a timely manner and nobody was hurt, though I agree they probably should have declared. Lots of judgements and definitive statements being made with very little information and lots of assumptions. And no I don't now and never have worked for Mesa.

Well said!!

Ah, the application was just sent in, ey? It's ok, you don't need to kiss their butts online to get a job. Just have a pulse and $50 for the interviewing fee and you should be hired in a heartbeat.
Hell, they hired PDork21

above 10000ft talking to TWR? come on son. they were in the sterile troubleshooting. it wasnt even bad enough to don the mask ... its ok son, i understand you were looking for a chance to make mesa pilots look like sub par aviaters. but its ok...try again some other time

Now I've seen it all. You have 4 cessnas, a piper, a King Air and a jungle jet listed as your "flown aircraft". What's your total time? 2,000? And by total time I mean being the PIC making decisions....I bet it's closer to zero if you look at a crewed aircraft only.

You listed right seat using Channel B on both FADECS as "current position"?

Common, at your stage in life you have no opinion on what happened here. Just try to learn how not to be from this thread.

The criteria for declaring an emergency is simple. If you need priority handling, then do it.

Ameriagle, thanks for being a voice of reason in this mostly juvenile urination match of a thread.

Just curious, when did Mesa start flying for Delta at CVG? I thought CVG was strictly a Comair CRJ base. It's getting harder and harder keeping track of all these regionals switching flying around!

Latest resources

Back