• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Forecast for recalls, hiring, pension benefits if NPRM issued

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have my own opinions, sir. I disagree with Captain Prater on the age-60 issue, but you have to be realistic at some point. We can't stop this! Age-65 will be a reality. We need to prepare for that and protect as many pilots as possible. That means lobbying for legislation to defend everyone from lawsuits, developing scheduling guidelines to deal with the scheduling nightmare that will result from having to have someone under 60 always paired with a geezer, working on retirement plan issues, etc... To stick our heads in the sand and pretend that we can stop this runaway freight train would be irresponsible. It is going to happen, now we need to minimize the damage.

You are missing a big step here PCL. That is trying to stop it in accordance with the preference of the majority in ALPA - the ball that ALPA dropped.

THEN... should it pass, then you fight the fire.

Like I said... Prater talks the talk. He needs to walk the walk, and that's something he ain't doing. Must be the Herndon Syndrome.

You are missing a big step here PCL. That is trying to stop it in accordance with the preference of the majority in ALPA - the ball that ALPA dropped.

ALPA's been trying to stop this for two decades, and we've been very successful to this point. We would continue to be successful if this was limited to legislation, but with the FAA getting involved with an NPRM, we have no leverage. We had enough Congressmen, Senators, and Committee Chairmen to hold this up on Capitol Hill, but this has gone beyond that level now. ALPA will certainly try to influence the NPRM process, but that's a fruitless endeavor at this point.

THEN... should it pass, then you fight the fire.

Whoa, that's a scary way of doing business. You don't wait until it's too late to work on fixing a problem. Once the rule has changed, it's too late to protect us. We need to be intimately involved in the ARC process to make sure that our members are protected to the greatest extend possible. ALPA isn't a reactionary organization. We try out best to plan ahead and prepare for the inevitable.

Like I said... Prater talks the talk. He needs to walk the walk, and that's something he ain't doing. Must be the Herndon Syndrome.

The guy's been in office for 27 days. Give him a chance to do his job. I think you'll be surprised.

PCL: If this get's screwed up, ALPA has to go. Or, we at least have to consider getting a new union. I don't know much about the RJDC, but you've got a history with it I guess. It seems like we've almost all have some concern with them. There are countless other things ALPA has handled less than stellar in the recent past.

Lawsuits are going to land on someones doorstep, If it's ALPA we might have to shut it down just to get some closure and a new start. And that's the unfortunate truth I'm afraid. You can't count on this generation of older pilots to accept an sort of compromise, they are going to sue no matter what.

PCL: If this get's screwed up, ALPA has to go. Or, we at least have to consider getting a new union. I don't know much about the RJDC, but you've got a history with it I guess.

History with it? Yeah, you could say that. I despise it and want to see the supporters of it expelled from the Association. That's all. :)

It seems like we've almost all have some concern with them. There are countless other things ALPA has handled less than stellar in the recent past.

ALPA isn't perfect, and it never will be. Mistakes will be made, but ALPA is a democratic organization and change starts at the grassroots level. The grassroots pilots informed their reps that they wanted change, and that resulted in the election of Captain Prater. Personally, I was a Woerth supporter during the election, but I'm beginning to think that Captain Prater was the best choice.

Lawsuits are going to land on someones doorstep, If it's ALPA we might have to shut it down just to get some closure and a new start. And that's the unfortunate truth I'm afraid. You can't count on this generation of older pilots to accept an sort of compromise, they are going to sue no matter what.

Lawsuits are nothing new to ALPA, or any labor union for that matter. Most of them end up going nowhere, because DFR breach is next to impossible to prove in court. I'm not worried about it.

That is unless its the TRUTH and one has proof. Tic...Tic...Tic...

Like I said, I'm not too concerned.

PCL... You are correct... ALPA has been fighting this for over 25 years. Unfortunately, that fight seems to have ended with Prater's election. Prater personally doesn't support Age 60, so he's taking a passive stance and "accepting the inevitable" as opposed to fighting this ugly turd from ever becoming a law as directed by the majority membership in ALPA.

This disease is gonna be just like the RJ and the who-gets-to-fly-it debacle, RJDC, but on a much bigger scale. Nevermind the lawsuits, but instead of unity that's necessary to recover what was lost, we'll be split and divided even more so.

Prater is sure off to a great start...

Speaking of short-sighted, you can't even see beyond your own nose...

Latest resources

Back