Forecast for recalls, hiring, pension benefits if NPRM issued

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas,

Yes, it's time for those tooting the "discrimination" horn to pack it where the sun doesn't shine. Not only are you simply trading one age for another, BUT, the FAA insists on a mandatory retirement age for controllers that is LESS THAN 60! With the critical ATC shortage looming, where are the howles of dismay about this blatently discriminatory rule?

Bah...

Nu

If it's true that the NPRM is going to be issued tomorrow, anyone who isn't very close to captain upgrade just lost anywhere from several hundred thousand dollars to more than a million dollars.

Thanks old guys!

BTW, 65 is just as discriminatory as 60, so the age discrimination argument doesn't hold an ounce of water.

Uhhhh...as we speak, it would appear that we are a lot closer to seeing an NPRM than we thought.

Do you think that brings any of this to an end? Hardly. You haven't thought through where this will ultimately go. This will galvanize those against it and the majority will swell even larger. Even those who get marginalized at your outfit are going to grow weary of watching elderly louses soak up the best schedules. It's a foregone conclusion that those most eager for this change are completely unable to accept this with any humility. You're going to poison the well.

Do you think that brings any of this to an end? Hardly. You haven't thought through where this will ultimately go. This will galvanize those against it and the majority will swell even larger. Even those who get marginalized at your outfit are going to grow weary of watching elderly louses soak up the best schedules. It's a foregone conclusion that those most eager for this change are completely unable to accept this with any humility. You're going to poison the well.

Uh-huh...and thats your opinion of how you think things will go....mine is more optimistic. You think it won't galvanize those that are for the change? As far as those watching the more senior get the good schedules....isn't that the way the seniority system works now? ...or are you trying to change that too?

How it all comes out is OK with me...either way. But for now, I have a chance to make my opinion known...and I will do just that. It's just like a Presidential election....I root for my guy all the way....when its over...I accept the result, and go on from there.

Tejas, I think we should abolish the seniority system as well and adopt the identical system to Emirates.

See, now that the old guys have brought this radical change to our industry, maybe the young crowd should now replace the seniority system with some sort of a rotational schedule like the Emirates do.

I mean, isn't it discriminatory for you to hog the good schedules, good pay, while keeping others down?

Last edited:
Comments released by Capt. Prater:

"I met with FAA Administrator Marion Blakey during the first week of the new year. One of the items that Administrator Blakey raised was the Age 60 Rule. She advised me that the FAA will put the current Age 60 Rule into the internal rulemaking process at the FAA, which will result in a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) sometime during the second half of this year.

At this time, I have put together an internal working group to plan how the Association will deal with the NPRM. I can tell you this much - we will deal with it, we will include our governing bodies and line pilots, and we will, to the best of our ability, keep Age 60 from continuing to be a wedge issue within our membership.

You know I like Prater as a person, but my support for him is now completely gone due to this limp d!ck reply. Wedge issue? Give me a freaking break. I won't give a dime to the PAC for many years if this goes through. Special thanks to SWAPA for spearheading this noble cause.

As far as those watching the more senior get the good schedules....isn't that the way the seniority system works now? ...or are you trying to change that too?
Unless the rule is crafted carefully to balance this out, the proper tence will be "seniority system worked then". Past tence, it will cease to function, just a crossed picket line. The day you fly past age 60, you'll be taking someone elses flying.

Unless the rule is crafted carefully to balance this out, the proper tence will be "seniority system worked then". Past tence, it will cease to function, just a crossed picket line. The day you fly past age 60, you'll be taking someone elses flying.

I'm sure the Ansett scabs at AWA, a whole lot of AirTran, CAL, and UNITED guys will have NO problem doing that AGAIN.....................

Latest resources

Back