Forecast for recalls, hiring, pension benefits if NPRM issued

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll take you one step further Frieght Dog:

Could be the end of ALPA. This is obviously a litigious bunch that want this age changed. Don't expect them to accept a simple change and be happy. They are going to sue on behalf of a huge class of retirees and they will direct those suits largely at our union. (companies and gov't can probably be sheltered) They won't have any intention of going back to work, really they just want the money. In fact the lawsuits will last beyond many of this groups' 65th b-days. It will start with assesments just for the legal fees, then progress to being assesed to pay for earnings they will claim to have lost. It's a bottomless pit.

Unless the law is passed to protect the companies, government as well as our unions....

Implementation of chaning this rule would be way more hassle than it's worth. It's simpler just to ban over 60 foreign airline pilots from flying in U.S. airspace and you take away their chief argument.

From the Latest FDX ALPA Message Line

Comments released by Capt. Prater:

"I met with FAA Administrator Marion Blakey during the first week of the new year. One of the items that Administrator Blakey raised was the Age 60 Rule. She advised me that the FAA will put the current Age 60 Rule into the internal rulemaking process at the FAA, which will result in a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) sometime during the second half of this year.

At this time, I have put together an internal working group to plan how the Association will deal with the NPRM. I can tell you this much - we will deal with it, we will include our governing bodies and line pilots, and we will, to the best of our ability, keep Age 60 from continuing to be a wedge issue within our membership.

At this time, I have put together an internal working group to plan how the Association will deal with the NPRM. I can tell you this much - we will deal with it, we will include our governing bodies and line pilots, and we will, to the best of our ability, keep Age 60 from continuing to be a wedge issue within our membership.

Prepare for that attempt to fail miserably.

Is ALPA going to have a bridge program for the over -60 people sponsored by AARP?

As a person who just interview with SWA and trying to educate myself on this subject more...anyone with the FACTS of how this age change went about in other countries? Phase in? problems? etc.. No opinions, just the FACTS please !
Thanks.

FACT: I does not matter how it went through in other countries. Period. It's going to mess this one up pretty good. There are only slightly more people who want to get hired by SWA as there are that will want to return to SWA! Problem: SWA wants to let them back.

I wish you the best of luck. Your timing stinks but would be much worse if you were talking about another carrier. They will probably still need to hire you, it's just going to slow down.

While I might agree that the NPRM might be forthcomming, I wouldn't count on the concurrent legislation to protect from those just over 60 to sue to get their jobs back. It's one of those things that you can see them going "oops, sorry, it just didn't make the cut".

The lawsuits from those over 60 have already been spooling up and waiting for the go word. You can BET cash money that a fair number of post 60 WILL come back, so not only will there be stagnation, but BACKWARDS movement as well.

Nu

If a piece of legislation is introduced that shields a government agency (FAA in this case) from litigation, you dang skippy it'll get passed.

Why would swa want to bring back guys that are already gone? They are at the top of the pay scale, no longer current, and wouldnt that mean guys would move back to the right seat if a whole lot of captains came back? Im not sure how many guys have retired from swa in the last 4yrs but im sure the training event would be a mess....How long is it now for upgrade? last i heard you guys were looking at hiring 650 this yr...Im sure that number will change significantly in the not too distant future if this whole thing comes to be

Latest resources

Back