• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Forecast for recalls, hiring, pension benefits if NPRM issued

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing is for certain....your B-fund....GONE....You might be able to negotiate with the company to roll that money into a 401k, but that is just less money that you can contribute to your own 401k....I guess we'll just have to work longer, maybe to 70. But don't worry, the guys pushing 65 have already accumulated plenty in their B-funds. Maybe at least they will start buying dinner on layovers....probably not!

I'm not too impressed with this Prater guy.... he sure didn't seem to be towing the line that the ALPA pilots voted on. I guess that if I still plan to retire at 60, one wat to save more money would to not pay union dues...why belong to a union if the union leadership is blatently willing to disregard the wishes of the majority of it's membership.

...why belong to a union if the union leadership is blatently willing to disregard the wishes of the majority of it's membership.

I agree. Might be time to shutter ALPA. I'm willing to watch how Prater directs the proposal of implementation. Needs to be fair and show regard for the majority, if not? Buh-bye.

I'm not too impressed with this Prater guy.... he sure didn't seem to be towing the line that the ALPA pilots voted on. I guess that if I still plan to retire at 60, one wat to save more money would to not pay union dues...why belong to a union if the union leadership is blatently willing to disregard the wishes of the majority of it's membership.

Captain Prater is continuing to support Age-60, and has said that he will do so until the BOD changes the official policy of the Association. I don't expect that to happen until a majority of the membership votes in favor of a change. Captain Prater is a good guy, and he'll support the membership even though he personally disagrees with the policy. Don't crucify him just yet.

The litigation out of this will be epic. Everyone will be suing everyone. Retired? Sue to get your job back.(FAA and Company)
F/O? Sue to get lost time value of money.(FAA and over 60 supporters)
Capt? Sue because you will be penilized for retiring at 60.(FAA and Company)

The list goes on. Just because the 'law' protects some group from lawsuits won't stop them. Those 'laws' still need to be reviewed by the judicial system. Everybody loses, even those who 'win.'

We should just leave it as is, it's working.

FUFH.

Captain Prater is continuing to support Age-60, and has said that he will do so until the BOD changes the official policy of the Association. I don't expect that to happen until a majority of the membership votes in favor of a change. Captain Prater is a good guy, and he'll support the membership even though he personally disagrees with the policy. Don't crucify him just yet.

His statements didn't give me a warm and fuzzy that he really supported the current rule, rather that he was trying to best figure out how to implement the expected change. This rule change sucks for the large majority of ALPA pilots.

His statements didn't give me a warm and fuzzy that he really supported the current rule, rather that he was trying to best figure out how to implement the expected change.

The rule change is practically inevitable now. We can't stop it. The best we can do is delay it and prepare for when it happens. The best thing ALPA can do right now is figure out how to best minimize the disastrous consequences of this abortion.

This rule change sucks for the large majority of ALPA pilots.

Without a doubt.

I like Capatain Prater a great deal, but I detect an active lack of earnest challenge to this rule change. Nothing personal really, ALL the old guys have been doing it for years. It was obvious they were moving this direction when they ran ALPA's last polling of the membership on the issue; It was done at the most opportune time for possible policy change. There will be a large number of lawsuits and they are going to primarily train in on the membership [ALPA]. We're going to have to think about a new union. Especially so considering this one of those issues that will be regretted by 85-90% of the membership post change (bet I'm right on that one guys, 60%+ are smart enough to know better, 20% are greedy, and then rest just act stupidly but will come around).

Hey PCL... I'd like to see what has Prater done to stop this madness. Oh yeah, zilch. Half-assed lip service.

You know a great deal about RJDC lawsuit.

Frankly, I think RJDC lawsuit will be some really small potatoes in comparison to the sh*tstorm changing age 60 will bring about in terms of lawsuits against everyone and their mother... individuals, MEC's, FAA, ALPA national, companies, etc.

Seeing Prater's half-assed remarks, lack of action and how he doesn't want to divide the union with this rule all the while he's catering to MINORITY shows me that he's all talk just like his predecessor. Bear in mind, probies and furloughees weren't allowed to vote in the poll because they would have really twisted the results in favor of keeping the rule. At least Woerthless catered to the majority. I'll give him that.

You couldn't pick a more divisive agenda than Age 60, yet look at his actions and his choice of words. He's given up on what the membership directed ALPA National to do.

I'm sorry bud, but it appears that surrender is in his DNA. You didn't see APAAD surrender, but you are seeing ALPA fold (yet again). If I can only play poker with ALPA National, I'd walk away with millions because any hand I get dealt, I know ALPA will fold.

You know, you're the biggest ALPA cheerleader around. I know you're a very young guy probably with aspirations to run for executive position at ALPA which is admirable. But you need to start forming your own opinions as opposed to blindly and naively singing the party line, and being able to recognize a snowjob when you see one.

Start forming your opinions. Not everything ALPA does is in your interests or mine or in this case the majority's.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back