Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FO/Flex how would you vote to integrate??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So were back to that eh Einstein? Superior airframes, superior business model, superior aviator skills, superior training. I guess all that hubbub around simuflight about your 135 class must have been made up by a disgruntled flops pilot. There is no convincing you superior aviators about anything from here on out. Atleast the last boy scout was smart enough to figure out whats going on. Put your faith in Lord Ricci and Princess Deanna along with your 1 page employment agreement. Netjets paved the salary, Flight Options paved the work rules, and Flex Jet faltered. I am reminded about an A/C D/C song, who made who? Like I said, avoid the fight at all costs, we'll get the job done for you!

You contract has done nothing for us genius. We did piggy back on the NJ pay raises, but nothing we have is because of you. Be careful not to break your arm patting yourself on the back.

I think the fact that several of your pilots have stated they can't wait to come fly our Challenger aircraft shows that at least they think they are superior aircraft. Funny thing about it is if they did that while operating under your contract it appears to me that it wouldn't even be a pay raise unless they came off the BE400 or Phenom. So wanting to come fly a different plane just because you can either shows you want to fly it because you view it as better or you are just trying to be a dick to the FJ pilots. I feel there is a little bit of both.

Challenger aircraft shows that at least they think they are superior aircraft.

Find one pilot, one person in the corporate aviation industry that doesn't think the Challenger 300 is a great airplane and superior to most other aircraft in it's category.
I personally think the C300 is a great airplane, Bombardier did a great job in the design and execution of the airplane.

I know you meant to say a 293/297 in the sim since you are required to have an annual 293 for every equipment you are qualified on.

We do 2 training events per year in the sim.

Do you give all your pilots a 297 in the aircraft or only if they match up with a check airman? I am not sure how you could document instrument currency if you do not.

We go to Simi annually, 8 days, 1 day of travel, 2 days 135 ground school, 5 days of aircraft recurrent.

Our 6 month check is done on the road with a check airmen, a 8 rotation is spent with the check airmen. The purpose of spending the entire rotation with the check airmen, is for your 6 month check and annual line training. They also want to spend a rotation with you, because they feel that everyone gets on their best behavior if you are with a check airmen just for the ride.
If you spend 8 days, they believe the bad habits against SOP's will come out, and so they can correct and train accordingly.

Nothing dangerous is done in the airplane for the ride, the check airmen have minimums for doing single engine work, approaches, etc....
Never once did I feel that a check airmen was trying to do something that shouldn't be done in the airplane.
By the time they reduce an engine to simulate a failure you have just about finished your after takeoff check anyways. It's all very benign, and I believe a lot of people make more of it than necessary.

I didn't say that the IBT had anything to do with the failure of avantair. I just showed that the IBT doesn't represent the upper echelon of the industry.

I have watched the track record of the IBT in the fractionals.

Netjets - dropped the IBT for an in house union
Citation Shares - slowly winding down
Avantair - in the process of voting in the IBT

I understand that all of these were not the IBTs fault, but the IBT sure doesn't seem to bring stability to fractional companies.

I don't know, it sure sounds to me like you are trying to blame the IBT for Avantairs failure.

Another one from the union busting handbook. The IBT sure doesn't seem to bring stability to fractional companies. Might seem that way to you because of the location of your nose.

Find one pilot, one person in the corporate aviation industry that doesn't think the Challenger 300 is a great airplane and superior to most other aircraft in it's category.
I personally think the C300 is a great airplane, Bombardier did a great job in the design and execution of the airplane.

We go to Simi annually, 8 days, 1 day of travel, 2 days 135 ground school, 5 days of aircraft recurrent.

Our 6 month check is done on the road with a check airmen, a 8 rotation is spent with the check airmen. The purpose of spending the entire rotation with the check airmen, is for your 6 month check and annual line training. They also want to spend a rotation with you, because they feel that everyone gets on their best behavior if you are with a check airmen just for the ride.
If you spend 8 days, they believe the bad habits against SOP's will come out, and so they can correct and train accordingly.

Nothing dangerous is done in the airplane for the ride, the check airmen have minimums for doing single engine work, approaches, etc....
Never once did I feel that a check airmen was trying to do something that shouldn't be done in the airplane.
By the time they reduce an engine to simulate a failure you have just about finished your after takeoff check anyways. It's all very benign, and I believe a lot of people make more of it than necessary.

I don't know, it sure sounds to me like you are trying to blame the IBT for Avantairs failure.

What altitude do you do the stalls, steep turns and unusual attitudes?

I actually am not saying your training in the airplane is unsafe, I actually think it doesn't adequately check the performance of your single engine maneuvers. If you are not failing an engine until you have completed the after takeoff checklist how do you feel that accurately meets the requirements of the ATP PTS? I know you have waivers and minimum altitudes for your single engine work, but that sounds like a stretch.

I think the only way to safely do single engine work is in a simulator. You can fail what you need to fail where there is never a fear of real danger. With all of that new things that the FAA requires on checkrides I would find it a challenge to check those in the airplane.

Do you do a maximum effort landing after you have calculated the required runway to verify that you can stop it within the published distance plus a small factor?

Are you flying approaches using fail down instruments? One precision and one min precision must be done on EVERY check ride.

When was the last time you were asked to fly your single engine hand flown precision approach raw data. The PTS requires it to do done on at least some check rides.

What view limiting device do you use that doesn't restrict the view of your partner? I would be vary concerned flying in an airport environment with any type of hindrance to my view.

I think spending an entire rotation with a check airman is a great idea. We are not required to do that here, but I would say 75% of the time your 299 check is done during a rotation spent with a check airman.

I don't believe that the Avantair pilots had even voted for representation under the IBT. I know they were in the process of getting the vote.

I was in no way saying that the IBT led to the failure of Avantair. I was saying that the IBT only seems to represent carriers that are struggling.

Sokol took over as chairman of NetJets in August 2009, after NetJets founder Richard Santulli was forced out of the company. The company was losing millions of dollars per year. Sokol was also chairman of MidAmerican Energy Holdings and Johns Mansville.

Here is the source article.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...-under-new-leadership-after-sokol-resignation

Just showing that the IBT usually represent financially struggling fractionals.

I don't believe that the Avantair pilots had even voted for representation under the IBT. I know they were in the process of getting the vote.

I was in no way saying that the IBT led to the failure of Avantair. I was saying that the IBT only seems to represent carriers that are struggling.

Sokol took over as chairman of NetJets in August 2009, after NetJets founder Richard Santulli was forced out of the company. The company was losing millions of dollars per year. Sokol was also chairman of MidAmerican Energy Holdings and Johns Mansville.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...-under-new-leadership-after-sokol-resignation

You're basically making an inference.

What altitude do you do the stalls, steep turns and unusual attitudes?

Approx - 15,000ft

If you are not failing an engine until you have completed the after takeoff checklist how do you feel that accurately meets the requirements of the ATP PTS? I know you have waivers and minimum altitudes for your single engine work, but that sounds like a stretch.

I think it's 500ft agl, not to be done with an airport elevation above XYZ. That was an exaggeration about being done with the checklist, because it is so benign.

Do you do a maximum effort landing after you have calculated the required runway to verify that you can stop it within the published distance plus a small factor?

Yes, but not to verify, to prove that we can do it to the checkairmen. So they know when a short runway trip occurs that we have proved we can fly the airplane and perform AFM #'s and performance.

When was the last time you were asked to fly your single engine hand flown precision approach raw data. The PTS requires it to do done on at least some check rides.

Last recurrent at Simi

What view limiting device do you use that doesn't restrict the view of your partner? I would be vary concerned flying in an airport environment with any type of hindrance to my view.

We put up the sun screens on the PF's side of the airplane and leave them off on the PNF-Checkairmen side.
Kidding, have you ever heard of something called Foggles? Have you never done any kind of instructing?

Are you flying approaches using fail down instruments? One precision and one min precision must be done on EVERY check ride.

Fail down? Never heard that term before. Are you saying that instead of the FMS, you use just the localizer?
Not familiar with the requirement to use "fail down" instruments on every check ride, which reg. is that?

Last edited:

Avantair was represented by the UTU.

http://ainonline.com/aviation-news/ainalerts/2013-02-19/avantair-pilots-vote-union-representation

It was worth a try though. But you lose points for inaccuracy.

Approx - 15,000ft

I think it's 500ft agl, not to be done with an airport elevation above XYZ. That was an exaggeration about being done with the checklist, because it is so benign.

Yes, but not to verify, to prove that we can do it to the checkairmen. So they know when a short runway trip occurs that we have proved we can fly the airplane and perform AFM #'s and performance.

Last recurrent at Simi

We put up the sun screens on the PF's side of the airplane and leave them off on the PNF-Checkairmen side.
Kidding, have you ever heard of something called Foggles? Have you never done any kind of instructing?

Fail down? Never heard that term before. Are you saying that instead of the FMS, you use just the localizer?
Not familiar with the requirement to use "fail down" instruments on every check ride, which reg. is that?

Fail down, as in using a backup display. Failing a PFD or MFD or reverting to a standby instrument.

ATP PTS AOA V
Non precision approaches, 2nd note says at least one non precision approach should be flown with reference to backup or "fail down" instrumentation or navigation display depending on the aicraft's avionics configuration.

There is a similar note in the precision approach part. It is talked about in the raw data section.

Latest resources

Back