Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotman2105 said:
Students require a set method and concrete procedure to learn anything. If you say "this is the way that I do it, but you can do it how you want," then the student (especially an inexperienced one) will change his/her pattern each time they do a set task.

Pilots are creatures of habit. Experienced pilots may do what they want, how they want, because they more fully understand the multiple facets that must be covered. A student doesn't. Thus, something concrete gives both a more solid basis for understanding on the student's side, as well as a more concrete item to critique/review for the instructor.
You're absolutely correct. Students need to be taught "A" way to begin with, and they need consistency. From Fundamentals of Instruction (no, I don't have that ticket, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) we also learn that different students learn in different ways. So if my approach doesn't work for this student, I should try a different approach. And if the student can perform a given task in a safe and expedient manner using the other technique, then he should be allowed to use that technique, even if it's not the way I would do it myself.

There's a maturing process involved, similar to that of raising children. A toddler reaching for an electrical outlet doesn't have to understand how Alternating Current electricity is produced, or transmitted, or what the physiological effects on the human body of prolonged exposure to 120V/60Hz AC. He just needs to know "NO!" and he doesn't need an answer to "Why?" A six-year-old can be taught some fundamentals of plugs and wires and lights and toy trains. A twelve-year-old can be taught to change a light bulb, and a twenty-year-old can design an electrical motor. You shouldn't be offended when the 20-yr-old chooses a different brand of electric razor than you'd prefer. The older, or more mature, or more proficient he becomes, the more you should teach, and the more "why" answers you should be providing.

pilotman2105 said:
But we're all in agreement that there are multiple ways to get the same thing accomplished. Regardless, the overall goal is to get it done quickly, safely, and as effeciently as possible.
Not necessarily in that order. Safely comes first.

:) :cool:

mattpilot said:
You probably haven't seen my avatar yet :D hehe
I saw it and I should have thanked you earlier for the wonderful "eye candy." And though you earn mega-points for the motion, I've still gotta go with the classic black and white, nekid, full-female form. It can't be beat!

machtuck said:
pilots who think every flight is a leg going to the F`in moon... they take it sooo serious they dont enjoy it.
Absolutely.

wild bill kelso said:
Cool pilot voices! You guys must stay home at nights with a tape recorder practicing. Do us all a favor, speak up, speak clearly and for gods sakes put a sock on your mike!!!
Ditto on the "MIke Muff"

Mooser

Pet Peeves hmmmmmmmm....

-Waiting for the hotel van
-Hats

-Anal Coworkers (Captains, Flight Attendants, Gate Agents, Mechanics, etc.)

-EWR Continental Ramp Control

Typhoon1244 said:
F/O's who use the little alcohol wipes to sanitize the cockpit before each leg. I mean c'mon! I've been doing this for six years without sanitizing anything, and I'm fine! [tic] [tic] :D
I am one of those FO's so I will explain my reasoning. A while back several studies were done with regards to the percentage of people who wash their hands after using the restroom. What they found was that around 1/3 of the men who use the restroom never wash their hands. Of the remaining 2/3 a small percent never use soap to wash up. I'm sure we have all seen this first hand in public restrooms. This is not limited to people just using the urinal and not washing up as I have seen people lay some serious mud then just get up and walk out without washing their hands.

So lets think about this for a second. Since we pilots are no different than the regular joes, we can surmise that 1/3 of pilots will not wash their hands after using the restroom. Assuming you do not sanitize the control yoke and other controls, there is a good chance that someone placed their hands on those places after touching their johnson or wiping their a$$ without cleaning up. Add to this that some of those same people may not wash their hands after wacking off (another study that I remember but I can't find it right now), or they may have done some business with a two dollar hooker and not done a clean-up job, and you are left with the prospect of placing you hands all over something that has been touched with this guy's nasty hands.

No I don't wipe down every single thing in the cockpit, but I wipe down what I use most in order to reduce my exposure to some nasty dudes schlong.

So, next time you are eating that crew meal at altitude, remember where your hands have been and that there is a good chance you are putting germs from a strange mans wanger in your mouth! :eek:

Peace!

Skeezer

skeezer said:
So, next time you are eating that crew meal at altitude, remember where your hands have been and that there is a good chance you are putting germs from a strange mans wanger in your mouth! :eek:

Skeezer

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

Besides, pilots have no need for hookers and "wacking off". Due to our good looks, wealth, and social status, we all have stable relationships with our beautiful and alluring wives/girlfriends who cater to our every need, right?

Pilots who call "into position and hold" at a non-towered field....WTF?

Thunderstorms.

Pilots from the last flt who leave their trash in the cockpit.

Pilots from the last flt who took their dog with them (this is a cargo thing...I love animals, but dog hair all over the cockpit is a pain).

Couriers who are late and then call the delay on me.

Anyone who keeps asking center "how's the ride?".

People who clearly hate their job and are miserable to be around.

Pilots who insist on landing with the stall warning blaring....that might've been okay in a C172, but this ain't GA. Ref is there for a reason.

Okay, just to balance this out a bit, here's a few things that make me happy:

Pleasant controllers who say "Good morning" and mean it.

Co-pilots with a great attitude.

Captains who aren't tyrants.

On time operations.

99% of all pet peeves people have could be solved if everyone would just relax and have fun. This ain't rocket science and can actually be a fun job when everyone just does their job and stops sweating the small stuff!

United checking in with DEN approach over the Rockies "Approach United XXX how's the ride on arrivals?" Let me think, United, you're crossing the freaking Rockies. Take a wild guess.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back