• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying for the Air National Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you paid as though you are on active duty during this 2-3 yrs. of full time duty/flying, or how does that work?

Yes, for the duration of your flight training, you will recieve active duty pay and allowances according to the pay tables. You will have base pay, flight pay, an allowance for subsistence and an allowance for housing along with the other perks. (well BAH depends on several factors but we won't go into that)

You are looking at UPT, which is Phases I, II and III; then your formal training unit (where you will fly your assigned airframe; add the IFF course before the FTU in the case of fighters) and then you get back to your home unit.

Now once back home, you will have 'MQT' which is basically a period of seasoning to get you ready; this period is of reasonable length so you should expect to fly almost full-time during this time and be compensated appropriately although I'm not sure if you get all the oher perks while on MQT as you did on UPT.

After that you're a traditional (part-timer). All in all about 1.5-2 years worth of active duty pay and then whatever else for the MQT period before you see the part-time thing.Hope that helps.

Yes, it answers my question. Sounds like a good deal!

I just enlisted, officially yesterday, into the 159th Fighter Wing, which is a F-15 unit in New Orleans. I am going to be a F-15 Crew Chief. I am still in college, and a couple of years away from completing my degree, but I plan to apply once that time comes. I enlisted until then, because they are one of those units that only hires from 'within'. Cool thing is, the guy who swore me in yesterday, is the guy I will go talk to about becoming a pilot with the unit. He got word I wanted to fly for them, so he gave me his card and told me to call him when that times comes. Obviously there is more I have to go through than talk to him, but I thought it was pretty cool, and hopefuly a good sign of things to come.

This leads me to another quesion. I have heard that you can apply for a pilot slot within atleast one year from receiving your degree. I've also heard six months. Is this true, can anyone shed some light?

Is it hard to maintain 8-10 days if you fly for an airline plus family time? And I was told drill weekends were not always required?

My experience from interviewing so far is that , in the case of fighter units, flying is pretty slim. The pilot who drove a group of interviewees to watch the -16's take-off (among which was yours truly) was one of the two most junior pilots and constantly alluded to the fact that all they get is the minimum sortie count per month to stay current, the rest of it is non-flying shenanigans. I personally thought it was still better than to not be flying an F-16 at all, but I understood his POV.

I guess the answer to the question is that, provided you're done with seasoning, it is absolutely easy to meet Guard commitments and have the civilian job, whether it's flying or not. Consequently, I think that would translate into the notion that Guard bumming is not an advisable pursuit if you're in a fighter unit.

I have no direct knowledge of the heavy units, my only experience with them was when I interviewed at a -130 unit and the pilot, who was my first point of contact throughout the interview process, was ABSOLUTELY GLAD he had the Guard gig, as he was furloughed from AA. I've also heard that Guard bumming is somewhat more fruitful at heavy units and I think that's totally compatible with the environment of military flying nowadays.

Personal rant: I find it interesting when some people get the sheer luck to get to the single-seat cockpit and start b!tching when their time building isn't skyrocketing. Jesus, if ya wanted to fly for the airlines you should have gone heavy, leave those d@mn Viper/Hog/Eagle slots for folks like me who have done everything up to this point to do single seat flying and have no desire for airline jobs. Now, not all 121 pilots who part-time as fighter pilots are like that kid, so I will give that to balance the argument. As I was looking at that kid go on his little soapbox I stared at him and said to myself "sheesh, if this kid made it past Vipers I'm gonna be f$ckin Chuck Yeager" so I guess I got some reassurance out of it :D

As a Guard Baby (off the street UPT hire) I can tell you that meeting your ANG flying requirement is getting harder every year.

If you go to a heavy unit, expect to not only meet all training requirements but deploy overseas as well. Currently they have cut our flying but increased our training requirements. Some tool, AKA Active Duty, higher up in the food chain can't figure out that eventually people will say "uncle".

Most pilots are saying that if they can't meet there squares than "oh well, give me more flying!!"

Hey Hindsight !!

I would say that any cockpit in the ANG is a lucky job. Plenty of good fighter guys will be knocking on the doors of heavy units after the BRAC. Hopefully some one doesn't pull that quote about the airlines out of there pocket during an interview and ask you to explain it. Chill out and enjoy anything you fly because you may be one of those folks knocking on our door one day.

CLAMBAKE

I think you misunderstood my comment. I was just alluding to the whining I perceived from this kid who happened to be in a position I've been trying to attain for as long as I can remember. The fact that it happens to be a fighter slot should be incidental to you; don't start the fighter/heavy thing, I wasn't suggesting that.

On the topic of gratitude, I stand corrected. What's funny about the "hopefully some one doesn't pull that quote" comment you made is that I've already had the opportunity to VOLUNTEER it at interviews. Not only that, but opportunity to ELABORATE on it. They don't have those fighter/heavy sensitivities, I'm not scared of telling them I don't have inclinations to fly 121 and that my civilian aviation career expectations lie in other flying jobs and pursuits, more in tune with my desires and motivations...there is life,work, flying, and aviation outside 121 you know......

I've been upfront and honest about that particular personal and professional preference to them. As a matter of fact, they actually appreciate a person who comes to the interview and answers the question of "what's your plan" with an answer OTHER than "weeeaalll, I was hoping to bum aorund, maybe get and AGR posit and wait for Delta to call". And considering there are regional and major guys alike at these boards who have personally expressed their complete satisfaction with the answers I've provided to that particular issue you raise I don't feel one bit threatened by your implication that I'm burning bridges. I've never had a major guy get sore cause I don't want to fly 121. Not to mention that 121 hopefuls are already surplus enough to make my point moot.

I do apologize if my comment shafed you the wrong way, I wasn't trying to suggest anything else other than what my impressions were of that particular guy and what I considered to be ingratitude on his part, not mine.

No hard feelings bud. I'll go chill now :D

Hindsight,

I've been doing this for a long time. I have learned long ago not to have a heavy/fighter thing. You can usually tell the quality of a pilot not by what he flies but by how he flies. In the end the ANG/AFRES guys usually finish well above the AD students in UPT. So the type of airplane they fly doesn't matter.

As far as the job goes, it's good to have the desire for a fulltime ANG job. They are good jobs and if you can get one take it. I remember interviewing for my pilot slot, 1992, and answering the same way you did. When the jobs didn't happen I was applying at all the airlines. Don't disregard the 121 stuff. It's a good life, especially the furloughs.

Peace, out

CLAMBAKE

psysicx said:
How long does a typical fighter sortie take from start to finish?

I don't think there's such thing as a "typical" sortie. If it's BFM (1v1 Basic Fighter Manuevers) and your MOA is close to your base, it might be a 30 minute sortie. If it's a 4v8 with a tanker, you might be looking at 2 hours. Probably the average is 1.0-1.3 hours.
That's only the flying part. The 1 hour brief starts 2 hours prior to takeoff. The debrief will be something like 2-8 hours depending on the complexity of the mission.

Latest resources

Back