Flying for the Air National Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The E-Train

I'm new to this webforum, so bare with me..

I was curious what the flying opportunities with the various Air National Guard units. Do they primarily get guys coming off active duty? Do they hire anyone with no flight experience to fly for them?

I am currently looking to finish my Masters degree and am considering a career in aviation. A pilot friend of mine who goes to my church who flies for American (a former USAF pilot) said that Air National Guard units are a great deal, being able to fly great planes on the weekend, as well as having a "normal" job.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

E-Train

I'm new to the forum too, but here's what I know. First, read my message under "trying to decide" (also in the military threads) about the benefits of Guard/Reserve vs. Active duty. Without putting it all here, I just joined the AF reserve from AD, and it's a different world.
Concerning the no flight experience, that all depends on the particular unit you're looking at. Here's the thing, it saves them time and money if they hire someone who's already trained in their aircraft; quicker spin-up time and less money for them. Next, they'll be looking at some enlisted folks in their unit who want to get a commission and then go to pilot training, sorta taking care of their own, if you will. However, sometimes they do hire guys off the street with no experience, send them to OTS and UPT, and you're in. However, there are some things that will help you with that. If you have any flight experience at all (i.e. going to the local airport and starting lessons), it shows a desire. Probably even more important, is the unit you choose to apply for. Guard/reserve are big on guys who will be with them for a while, not move on after a year or two, wasting their time. For me, I chose Colorado Springs because I went to school here, my wife has family here, and this is a place we want to live. They like that stuff. For example, if you're from Texas, you've already got a leg up for the Ft. Worth 130 unit. I recommend calling up the unit you're looking at, and go to the flying squadron. Don't mess with the recruiter, as he'll tell you whatever you want to hear to rope you in ('sure, we send guys to NASA all the time!'). Hope this lengthy response helps; good luck in your search.

Guard units are great. They are also like families, however. That means they all have different personalities...good and bad. Most of them want to hire people that they will LIKE to work with for a LONG TIME. You probably want to be in a unit that YOU like and are liked. So...visit a few of them, decide if you can fit in and they will (for sure) be figuring out if YOU would fit in with THEM.

Most of them will ask "why do you want to be in THIS unit". Replying "because you fly the coolest plane" is not going to win you points. You need to have a reason...like "I'm FROM here and I want to live here the rest of my life...and serve in this unit." So - think of where you call home and start there.

Nice about 'picking' a guard unit is you know what you'll be flying if you make it through the whole process.

I've done both active and guard...and the guard ROCKS!

The E-Train said:
I am currently looking to finish my Masters degree and am considering a career in aviation. A pilot friend of mine who goes to my church who flies for American (a former USAF pilot) said that Air National Guard units are a great deal, being able to fly great planes on the weekend, as well as having a "normal" job.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

E-Train
I'm in an F-15 Guard unit and we might hire 1 newbie off the street on average every 2 years. I don't know what other units are like. It's very competative to get the slot but very worth it. Most guys are experienced and hired off AD.

One other thing. It won't be a weekend flying gig ever. You will spend about 3.5-4 years on what amounts to active duty. It will take almost 2 full years to be fully trained in a fighter and back at your unit. You'll probably be put on full time status for a couple of years to be "seasoned" and get some experience.

You won't be worth much as a pilot in the unit if you attempt to be a part timer without any experience. One of the reasons the Guard hires experienced guys off the AD is they can handle doing it part time. Even as a part timer you'll be flying 8-10 days a month on average. The only weekend flying you'll do is the one drill weekend a month. The rest of the time it's Mon-Fri. Oh, and if you're a full timer, you'll work 12 days in a row since drill weekend will have a Mon-Fri on either end of it. Just trying to give you a little perspective. This is a fighter unit. The heavies have different training and may have a lighter schedule and opportunities to be part time sooner. Maybe one of them will chime in.
Good Luck

Iam in the 189th in Little Rock and the guard unit here ONLY takes people that are already in the wing. We take 1 pilot every 2 years!! Most people that go to the board already have time and have been in the unit about 2-4 years. Might want to check out another guard unit besides the 189th.

Oh yeah! and you fly alot more than just 1 weekend a month

That just reminded me of a picture I saw of a guy on a tank in Iraq holding up a sign that said "one weekend a month....my a$$." Made me laugh.:)

gear_guy said:
That just reminded me of a picture I saw of a guy on a tank in Iraq holding up a sign that said "one weekend a month....my a$$." Made me laugh.:)

Saw the same thing on a t-shirt in the sandbox. It was a lot longer than one weekend for them too.

Adler is right on all accounts...being a traditional guardsman (at least in a ftr unit) is NOT a weekend/month commitment. Min of 8 days a month (including drill weekend), and like Adler said...you can plan on at LEAST 3 yrs of full time duty/flying to get the basics down. Otherwise, you'll never have a solid foundation of flying when/if you go part-time.

Latest resources

Back