• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Express question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I noticed on climbto350.com Gary is advertising for 500tt pilots. Any of those low timers make it successfully through ground school and actually pass the vfr 135 ride yet? Sure hope Gary can attract some new recruits for all you Baron upgrade wannabes :)

When I was there on 2005 (my greatest time in aviation) ground school was condunted by Austin Collins better known as Austin Powers strange dude!!
all he did was read and read and read the material.. so some people failed some of the quizes he used to give during class and yes some people failed ground school and also some failed the flight portion of it...in fact some guy he passed did very well in ground school but really bad during flight training, after 3 days on the line he geared up a 210 on FTY.

Is this dude (Austin Powers) still there??
I personaly think that Gary is the best guy there

Wow, how did he gear up the 210? Did the guys strictly fail training because the guy read all the material and didn't "teach" the info?

Austin never introduced himself on day 1 during indoc to our class !!! he just walked in and started reading ! hahaha. Good times. someone should take that guy out to Hooters or some good stripjoint and show him a good time.

This is what I remember of my time in Orlando;

- There are about 100.000 tourist passing thru Orlando every month

- Of those 100.000, 60.000 are female.

- Of those 60.000, 50.000 are looking for a "good time"

- Of those 50.000, 30.000 are good looking !!

So no reason for anyone out there during class not to be able to get some action!

Other then that, he looked like a good guy, but way to serious with his job.

Guy sitting next to me in my new hire class (2005) landed his 210 on the interstate after a few days on the line... Engine failure within 5 days after IOE. Priceless.

I agree, Gary is a great guy.

I am trying to get in touch by the way with a guy who used to fly chieftains (corporate) in the north east before he went to Flightexpress in 2005.

If someone could help me with that please do so.

FD

Last edited:
Austin is a good teacher, maybe he has lightened up as I had him for my ground school earlier this year and he did a good job. Lots of funny stories. Gary is great too.

I had a few guys fail the ground school portion in my class too....I'm not sure what background these guys had, but they had major problems with some pretty simple stuff.....didn't take any major studying....just a little reading

yzf6 said:
watch out, thats how those guys roll! i will be back for another bucket'o'beers, if anyone is still there

Promises, promises. Of course, now that you have more than 3 days off a month, maybe there's a chance. How's the sewer tube?

jaxpilot said:
Austin is a good teacher, maybe he has lightened up as I had him for my ground school earlier this year and he did a good job. Lots of funny stories. Gary is great too.

I, too, enjoy Austin. His class is more "fast-paced" than "hard" and I assure you, beneath the veneer, Austin needs no help having fun. Or so I'm told. That said, he takes the part about not doing instrument training extremely seriously. So much so that I've seen guys that probably would have been ok with a little work get washed out. Just how they roll...

And yes, Gary is the only guy in the entire world who could ask someone to go TDY over Christmas and not only NOT get cursed at and threatened, but GET a "yes" and a "merry christmas" too. He's one of a kind.

ljg said:
Anybody ever land on 05 in CPS at 5am? Rhetorical question.

Every good FLX pilot knows that there are only two runways at CPS. 23 and 5. This is doubly true for the Baron.

Austin never introduced himself on day 1 during indoc to our class !!! he just walked in and started reading ! hahaha. Good times. someone should take that guy out to Hooters or some good stripjoint and show him a good time.

This is what I remember of my time in Orlando;

- There are about 100.000 tourist passing thru Orlando every month

- Of those 100.000, 60.000 are female.

- Of those 60.000, 50.000 are looking for a "good time"

- Of those 50.000, 30.000 are good looking !!

So no reason for anyone out there during class not to be able to get some action!

Other then that, he looked like a good guy, but way to serious with his job.

Guy sitting next to me in my new hire class (2005) landed his 210 on the interstate after a few days on the line... Engine failure within 5 days after IOE. Priceless.

I agree, Gary is a great guy.

I am trying to get in touch by the way with a guy who used to fly chieftains (corporate) in the north east before he went to Flightexpress in 2005.

If someone could help me with that please do so.

FD

Wow so probably you and me were in the same class on 05 I remember that guy who landed on the highway, he did a great job though. He used to fly helicopters for the US coast guard..
And about the guy that flew chieftains monstly known as (MIAMI SPICE) I got his cell #, i dont know if he will return your calls but you can try..PM me

Our class was some class !!!!!!!
a girl failed ground school
one guy gear up a 210 on FTY
other guy had a falied an engine in T/O landed on the highway.
other guy chickened out of flight training and disappeared from the hotel.
and the last one, had the FAA pulled his certificates
for falsifying flight time on previous 134 and 1/2 operation

Yup that was my class !!!
This was a indonesian (or something?) girl right who failed class if I remember correctly?

Yeah "miami spice" is the guy I am talking about. Is he in his late 20's? he was my roommate. Great guy, would love to catch up with him.

We had like what? 30 people in our class?

I remember us having some hot chicks in that hotel man... That was fun.

I left for a corporate gig in the west.

Take it easy bro.
FD

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back