• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flexjet Management Promotes Calling Pilots while in Rest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly what required rest period is the company asking us to give up?

I bet you have numerous examples of FJ pilots not being given the FAR required 10 hours of rest or else this is once again one of your emotional statements that is not based on fact.

Trying to think of the last time I didn't get my 10 hours, oh wait, I NEVER HAVE BEEN ASKED TO DO THAT.
How are you really in rest when you are allowing the company to call you within the first 2 or the last 2 hrs of those 10 hrs to make a change to your schedule.
I never said you would not physically be given 10 hrs, you of course are trying to twist something that I didn't say.
The company could never assign anything that would not physically give you 10 hrs, but leaving yourself open to a phone call that could come from scheduling in either the first 2 or last 2 hrs of those 10 hrs is not having 10 hrs free from company responsibility.
Go ahead and sign off on it, bring down the industry.

How are you really in rest when you are allowing the company to call you within the first 2 or the last 2 hrs of those 10 hrs to make a change to your schedule.
I never said you would not physically be given 10 hrs, you of course are trying to twist something that I didn't say.
The company could never assign anything that would not physically give you 10 hrs, but leaving yourself open to a phone call that could come from scheduling in either the first 2 or last 2 hrs of those 10 hrs is not having 10 hrs free from company responsibility.
Go ahead and sign off on it, bring down the industry.

Our rest blocks are generally more than ten hours. Say 12, for example. They can call in the first two or last two hours of that 12 hour block, but not both, and we still have our ten. If rest is only ten hours, then it doesn't apply.

You don't know. But if they don't call in the first two then they might call in the last. My experience is that neither happens very much.

Our rest blocks are generally more than ten hours. Say 12, for example. They can call in the first two or last two hours of that 12 hour block, but not both, and we still have our ten. If rest is only ten hours, then it doesn't apply.
" That call will only happen in the first two and probably the last two hours of a 10 hour minimum rest. In other words you will be guaranteed 8 hours uninterrupted rest at a minimum"

So after that non answer, if you have off for say 16 hours, do you stay awake to do a 14 hour day starting at the beginning of your original duty on time ? Or can they back that time up, and catch you short of rest to do your new duty time?

What is so difficult to understand?

We get a defined rest block of 10 or more hours (usually 14). If they call and if I answer during the last 2 hours of my 14 hour block I've had 12 hours uninterrupted rest and might get the full 14 depending on the assignment. If they call, and if I answer 8 hours into my rest block, I won't get an assignment that starts earlier than 10 hours after I went into rest.

The FAA doesn't view a phone call during rest an interruption, so it's up to me to answer the phone or not. I usually choose not if I'm sleeping. If I'm sitting at breakfast with the other crew member, I'd answer. It's not that difficult.

What I find ironic is the FO guys saying we are hurting their negotiations. Ever since they signed their contract all we've been told is our pay is above market rate because they lower the scale on every single aircraft size.

Let the thread die, it's a non-event. Dispatch will make the occasional desperate 4 am call. Some will answer, some won't; nothing has changed.

Flexjet flying Flight Options trips is limited by protections in the Flight Options Pilots CBA.

Any other operator flying Flight Options trips is limited by subcontract charter provisions, including Flexjet.

lim it ed adjective
1. restricted in size, amount, or extent.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. If Jet Solutions is a Flight Options brand partner, and all Flex pilots have agency agreements with Solutions, how exactly is the number of FO trips they fly restricted? Did I miss the scope provision that restricts the amount of third-party charter or brand partner flying the company may use, or is that still a big hole in the contract scope clause as we've discussed on here before?

The only 'limiting' factor for DAC in sending more trips to the Flex side is that FO crews have a much lower hourly labor cost (not really the preferred way to guarantee job security for your members, is it?). If FO dispatch availability tanks during upcoming negotiations, I think they will send trips to the Flex side, the only 'limit' being what the Flex fleet can handle. Please explain to us what the IBT will do to stop that? Or is that threat 'inconceivable'?

Last edited:
So after that non answer, if you have off for say 16 hours, do you stay awake to do a 14 hour day starting at the beginning of your original duty on time ? Or can they back that time up, and catch you short of rest to do your new duty time?

The out of rest time would not change. You are always protected in the backside.

U guys are afu

Its standard practice in the 135 world to begin your duty day when the phone rings... provided you have had at least 10 hours off

This is how the fed has used this rule for years

I wonder how experienced many of you guys are? Its like amateur hour reading these posts

Latest resources

Back