Flexjet Management Promotes Calling Pilots while in Rest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not on the list that he was referencing QUOTE]

List? Hmmmm what kind of list is he keeping? I all ready heard of 1 list, is this a list of who doesn't answer their phone? If it doesn't matter if you don't answer you phone, then why keep a list?

So they can know who to call and who not to call when things change.

You always get 10 hours of rest. We usually get a 14 hour block with the last 4 being changeable.

There are a few that will never answer a call even if their departure was at 1500 and they got into the hotel at 1800. These pilots are taking a stand because they want to.

If you are tired, don't fly. If you are not fit for duty, don't accept the assignment.

Unfortunately there are people that have forgotten that we get paid to fly airplanes, not find reasons not to or use a union to hide behind so we don't have to.

From what I are it sounds like to DO wants to know why people are refusing to ever answer the phone in their 10+4.

Our business model is constantly changing. If I have had adequate rest and so has my partner, then I am willing to fly the trip. If either of us feels we are not rested or ready, then please find someone else.

Are You Punished

So they can know who to call and who not to call when things change.

You always get 10 hours of rest. We usually get a 14 hour block with the last 4 being changeable.

There are a few that will never answer a call even if their departure was at 1500 and they got into the hotel at 1800. These pilots are taking a stand because they want to.

If you are tired, don't fly. If you are not fit for duty, don't accept the assignment.

Unfortunately there are people that have forgotten that we get paid to fly airplanes, not find reasons not to or use a union to hide behind so we don't have to.

From what I are it sounds like to DO wants to know why people are refusing to ever answer the phone in their 10+4.

Our business model is constantly changing. If I have had adequate rest and so has my partner, then I am willing to fly the trip. If either of us feels we are not rested or ready, then please find someone else.

From the DO:

"It is a fact that the no-call list hurts the operation, drives more dead-head, duty hours, standby and most of all punishes the crewmembers that are not on the list."

So, do you feel punished?

From the DO:

"It is a fact that the no-call list hurts the operation, drives more dead-head, duty hours, standby and most of all punishes the crewmembers that are not on the list."

So, do you feel punished?

The thought never crossed my mind.

When I go to work I fly the trips the company assigns me. I don't spend time worried about what other crews are or are not doing.

From the DO:

"All I am asking is that you leave your phone on along with Flexmobile during your assigned rest period. Leave texting or any other alerts off since there is always a chance of an erroneous message. There will be no repetitive emails or texts, no notifications from the company unless it's an urgent issue and not breaking your rest accept for operational purposes."

Translation: Leave your phone on so we can call you to cover a trip.

The DO is just stating the obvious…not being contactable directly affects DH, charter, and ultimately profitability. Management has ID’d this area of weakness in our OP’s and is addressing it, something any GOOD company would do.

Pilots are guaranteed 10 hrs rest every day. You have the legal choice of turning off your phone. I’ve chosen to turn off the phone occasionally, usually ‘cause I was pooped, but it’s generally not what I do BECAUSE I’m not tired and don’t want to constrain the company’s efficiency…apparently there’s quite a few who turn their phones off every night.

No one likes getting calls for pop-ups, break-downs,etc but we know that is what happens in the REAL WORLD. I’ve earned a good living at Flex for many years and understand what it takes to make the company efficient and profitable and continue to pay it’s bills(and salaries). There are no guarantees that fractional flying will even survive, so we must be efficient. I simply don’t buy this union mentality of “we’ll show them who’s boss” puffery and the fear mongering they stir up in order to persuade you to join the clownish IBT.
WL

"If I have had adequate rest and so has my partner, then I am willing to fly the trip. If either of us feels we are not rested or ready, then please find someone else."

TWA, at 0500, how do you know if your partner is rested?

But, It's all about Trust

From the DO:

"Over the past year and especially the past several months it is abundantly clear that no significant quality of life changes have occurred and our new leadership wants nothing more than to win our trust and build an even better company on the foundation we established. Earning your trust in the new company with new leadership is no easy task."

"Let's bring back a level of trust we have not seen here in a while. I am asking that we abolish that list and I promise you this: no one from the company will call you more than once while you are in rest."

"Knowing you are contactable is a huge advantage to the operation and will go a long way in rebuilding the diminished level of trust, but it must start with you."

See, it's all about trust. The level of trust has been diminished, and rebuilding that trust must start with the pilots.

"If I have had adequate rest and so has my partner, then I am willing to fly the trip. If either of us feels we are not rested or ready, then please find someone else."

TWA, at 0500, how do you know if your partner is rested?

I will usually either send an email or call. If there is no response, then it is a no. If I get an answer and he/she says no, it is a no.

Unless we are both ready and willing to accept the assignment it is a no.

Not sure what is so complicated about this.

In all of the times we have said no there has never been any pushback from the company.

"The level of trust has been diminished, and rebuilding that trust must start with the pilots."
From what I've read here, it sounds like the Flex pilots already trust their management. What are they asking for then?

Latest resources

Back