• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First year pay at Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a former Allegheny and TWA pilot I can tell you first hand ALPA is not a joke!
They are a friggin nightmare!!!!!!! No rj's at Allegheny and no job at TWA enough said!

Captain Overs said:
The funny thing is CAL used to be the bottom feeders when it came to pay. Now there is a new concessionary contract that was signed and it's near the middle of the pack.

When various compensations are taken into account, not just hourly pay, I think CAL is still well behind just about all their counterparts. No overrides for international, night, overwater, subpar pension recently gutted further, no true long call reserve (crashpad costs, commuting, etc), plus the smaller things like no crew meals on any domestic leg, no uniform allowance, high copays, and a laundry list of other "no" items. Oh, but they do allow flying up to 100 hours in 30 days.

Last edited:
tubelcane said:
No rj's at Allegheny and no job at TWA enough said!

Isn't is more correct to say NO ALLEGHENY? Didn't they get folded into Piedmont and there is no more Allegheny?

densoo said:
When various compensations are taken into account, not just hourly pay, I think CAL is still well behind just about all their counterparts. No overrides for international, night, overwater, subpar pension recently gutted further, no true long call reserve (crashpad costs, commuting, etc), plus the smaller things like no crew meals on any domestic leg, no uniform allowance, high copays, and a laundry list of other "no" items. Oh, but they do allow flying up to 100 hours in 30 days.

Well said.

Launchpad said:
Delta new hire pay is $56-58 an hour now.... Although, you won't see a new hire for quite some time....

Just an observation-

Yep, you're right... Won't be hiring for a long time... I'm just tired of all of the pro-union chest-thumping.

Here I am now, after 9 years of flying for a living and passing 4000 hrs. TT, 2800 Jet, 3400 Turbine, etc... I'm a happily employed corporate pilot, but I was just thinking the other day about what my options would be if I did have any desire to fly for the airlines...

1. JetBlue - Get in line behind everyone else to commute to JFK and start at $50,000. No thanks...
2. Continental - Get in line behind everyone else to make $27,000 (with no insurance to start)... Don't think so...
3. Pick a regional - Start at $19,000 and get on welfare. YGTBSM !!!

So when I listen to the average union goons I have to conclude that they haven't exactly been the best custodians of my profession. Hence, I shall be a corporate pilot forever and determine my own worth. Just food for thought. I guess this thread just got me thinking. Depressing...

IP
You are correct. I was meaning tosay what they did for me at each carrier while I was there. The plight of Allegheny is worse now. Some went to Piedmont others went to the unemployment line. And some went to Midatlantic which was sold to Chitaqua, and they were told they would go to year 1 fo pay. I think they were sold again to republic maybe. Anyway my friend had enough and went to Atlas in mid May.

densoo said:
and a laundry list of other "no" items.

Such as my personal favorite, no company paid parking any longer. But hey it all must be working since CAL posted a 2Q profit for the first time since 9/11.

Launchpad said:
Point is that after all of the years of collective bargaining at carriers like Continental, Delta, United, and American the first year pay rates at ALL OF THEM are embarrassing. Way to go ALPA/APA.

Unions don't represent first year pilots at many airlines, including CAL. Pilots are on probation and can't join the union until hire date plus one year. You have no representation and every captain you fly with must file a probationary pilot report to the chief pilot for each trip for the first year.

On the issue of pay, what is surprising is that the companies pay new hires ANYTHING. They know that they could probably hire pilots for free and pay only their per diem for the first year and they would still get more than enough takers who want the big prize at the end: a major airline job with union representation. And, by and large, it would be worth it. As fraught with human failings as union representation is, it is far better than the alternative: companies that have no shame, unrestricted in how they treat their employees.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back