First year pay at Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captain Overs said:
I stand corrected on the recall. Didn't it go to a vote with the MEC?

No, because he wasn't even the MEC Chairman at the time. He was the MEC Executive Administrator as we were a single MEC with CAL. Drop me a line if you want more of the specifics but I don't see a reason to get into them in public.

-Neal

Last edited:
FlyChicaga said:
You're elected representative leadership? They can say, "Look, we think this is best for us all." That does not mean you must blindly follow them. However, some faith should be placed in those with more information, which normally the average line pilot does not have. No, they are not always right. If the leadership does the pilot group injustice, then it is the job of the pilot group to replace them with folks who will better represent the interests of the whole.

At least someone understands how this works.

If you are not happy with your union leadership, then replace them. At the next LEC meeting, call for a recall of your LEC status reps. You can look in the ALPA by-laws to see how the whole process works. Of course, this would require you to actually go to an LEC meeting. 90% of the membership doesn't even do that. Everyone just wants to sit around the crew lounge and complain about how the union is screwing them. If you have a problem with your union leadership, then recall them and run for a position yourself. Are you ready to devote your time and energy to helping the pilot group? Are you ready to sacrifice almost every day off you have towards union work? Are you ready to be screamed at over the phone by uninformed rank-and-file members that think they know what's going on behind the scenes but really have no clue?

Your MEC and LEC reps are always trying their best to do what is right for the pilot group. What motivation could they possibly have for screwing you over? The truth of the matter is, if you are voting for concessions at the direction of your MEC, then it's most likely because ALPA's Economic and Financial Analysis division determined that you have no choice if you want to continue having a job at all. ALPA certainly doesn't benefit by you taking a paycut. When your pay goes down, so do the dues that are collected from your check. In one breath, a pilot complains that ALPA only cares about collecting dues. In the next breath, he complains that ALPA is forcing him to take a paycut. Do you not see that these are two conflicting assertions?

The rank-and-file membership just likes to complain for the sake of complaining. Everyone likes a scapegoat, and ALPA is the favorite right now. Of course, as soon as someone gets himself into trouble, he comes running to his status rep begging for help. Then ALPA is his best friend. Hypocrisy at its finest.

BRA said:
For those that don't know, Wegmans is a very successful supermarket based out of Rochester, NY, with more then 70 stores throughout the northeast, mostly NY.

yea but Wegman's is too expensive....shop at Tops!

Pilotbob3 said:
yea but Wegman's is too expensive....shop at Tops!

Wegman's was recently featured as Fortune's "best company to work for." That's one of the reasons I stick with Wegmans when I'm back in Western NY...

Latest resources

Back