• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First nail in ASA's coffin....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vee One. You are right. It amazes me that SkyWest is letting this place fall apart like this. When senior members of ASA's management walk into the Pilot Lounge and make comments like "anyone here who does not have an interview date at another airline has something wrong with them" things are clearly in free fall. I'm still not believing what I heard with my own two ears.

Then there is the Mary Jane shopping cart for everyone to drop their publications in when heading out the door.

Why? Why, when ASA is deferring aircraft due to lack of crews is the Company chasing away its pilots? Obviously the most marketable pilots are leaving. Has ASA got to have a few Pinnacle class "oopsies" before anyone cares.

Are we seeing revenge for the way we treated Jerry Atkin? Can anyone put a logical explanation with the objective facts? I'm in a quasi state of self denial, just so our crew can stay focused on getting the mission accomplished safely and on time.

What gives?

Fins,

I think you know what gives. This place was not meant to do well the past 2 years. Once this contract is done, so are we. I know that can't do anything if we have scope. Right. Well they also weren't supposed to do anything while we were in contract talks. But we still lost the 90's, some 70's, and SLC.

I keep hearing about Jerry's visit to the pilot lounge....what happened and how was he treated?
It was embarassing to me. One morbidly obese FO waddled up to Jerry Atkin with his shirt mostly un tucked, got in his face and started loudly stating that Management was a bunch of liars. Mr. Atkin asked who lied and said that if someone was not honest he would fire them. When pressed for specifics, Mr. FO looked at his shoes and mumbled "no one really, it was more an impression" (or something) and then he blamed ALPA. (In the FO's defense, there certainly are some good examples he could have given of management lying, but he did not think of them and to SkyWest's credit most of the worst management offenders are gone)

I don't like Mr. Atkin's game of cost boxes and aircraft transfers, but, he has the power to do these sorts of actions and thus far, ALPA has been unwilling, or unable, to stop him. Jerry Atkin has been tremendously successful and if no other reason than his power, he deserves respect. A line pilot is not going to get the pilot group anywhere by getting in a man like Atkin's face and screaming at him. Could we be seeing the wrath of a vengeful Jerry? I dunno.

I'm not sure why ASA is falling apart when by all objective measures it is not really that bad. Perhaps management finds some advantage in the lack of morale. But, pilots are taking their own little individual strikes by leaving and not coming back. Right now, I do not know how that is a good thing for ASA, SkyWest, or Delta.

With a good, experienced, crew I can stay on schedule. With a couple of malcontents, or a NOOB, there is little chance of being able to reliably deliver the product Delta sold their ticket-holder. When I try to care about Delta's passengers and delivering the product my own management team runs up, kicks me in the nuts and tells me I'm a loser for working here. It aint real encouraging.

Last edited:
Fins,

Once this contract is done, so are we.
Then why finish the contract at all? If the end game is to pull the plug, why bother?

Maybe the beat it into submission and merge it rumor is true. But, our own Brian LaBreque seems to be against that plan based on his stated abhorrence of longevity.

Why all dah Hatin'?.... ASA is jus fine.... Don Imus, I'd worry 'bout..... Bouyyyyyyyyy.... :-o

"anyone here who does not have an interview date at another airline has something wrong with them"

I have got to spend more time in the crew room as I have never heard or seen this happen. As someone that seeks to move on at some pt I need very little motivation from mgmnt. It is no secret that every regional airline wants its more senior pilots to move on for, among other things, cost savings. The longer you stick around the more expensive you become. No offense but that is simply the way it is.

Jerry and Jerry have had its ASA game plan in action for a very long time now. The pieces will be shown only when JA is good and ready to show them.

Fly Safe...

Kinda like United and AWAC/ ACA.............

What's to prevent this from happening.......a pilot shortage???? C'mon- everybody dumped on the street from ASA would be looking for a flying job. Yea, we'd lose a few pilots to other professions, but I think most would return to fill the ATL void with another carrier (SkyWest, CHQ, SHUTTLE, Mesa)

Not even the same. ACA was not willing to take SH!T pay and therefore told United to STICK IT! Delta/Skywst could not afford to let this happen...why, because they cannot even fill their airplanes with pilots now...let alone vacate another 160 airplanes. :pimp:l

Soon you will receive a petition for single carrier list...We will force ALPA to file the petition and yes we know IT IS NOT IN OUR BEST INTEREST ....=no job...

Keep living in your bubble. And by the way, we're winning the war in Iraq. Right.

Yeager, put down the bottle. Jerry can't afford to let ASA die...he needs our experienced Captns. for Intl. flying. His low time hiring is about to bite him in the @ss. ICAO is now 3000hrs and a lot of his pilots that are able to upgrade...don't meet those minimums!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back