• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fired!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the colonel is right. We cant really help without some specifics (yet I know airing things out on a public board can be difficult.....especially with some of the judgemental motherf'krs we have here). Was in your situation last year. I wont sugar coat it. It sucks. Although I wasn't fired, I quit before I was (and I did'nt deserve it). I asked for help here but people here seem more intent on knowing how "you" f'd up rather than help. Anyway all I can say is your in a dire situation. Especially in todays hiring environment. I had 5500 hrs, a degree, type in a crj at the time and could'nt land a regional job swinging gear. I was ready to start hauling plastic dog poop at a 135 cargo operation in a fricken navajo! Yet I was lucky. My wife had a great contact at Spirit. I interviewed with them initially on my own merits and they passed on me when they heard my story from my previous airline. My wife then emailed her contact and explained how I got f'd over and that I needed "a break". The cheif pilot (who is super cool) called me up to hear my story. I gave him names and numbers of people who could validate my story. He checked it out and confirmed it to be true, and gave me a break. I was lucky. Unfortunatley in a normal interview situation, the panel has many candidates to pick from without "issues" and will simply dismiss you and move on to the mass. The point is your not in a good situation. I even sought the help of a proffesional to spin my story with a positive twist to sell the interview panel, yet that did'nt work. You need to network as much as possible to find someone that can give you "a break". Or if you cant, do the doo! That plastic dog sh#t hauling I spoke of. Or go to a piece of crap airline like Mesa (even though you'll take a lot of heat). Gotta do what you gotta do! Or just get out while you still can!

I feel for ya man.....like I said I was there and I would'nt wish it on anyone. Just keep plugging away. Good luck!

Blaming the failure on the company or a bad instructor (even if true) is a sure way to have an unsuccessful interview. If you take responsibility for the failure and mention the steps you've taken to improve you'll look a lot better.

Presentation is everything. Explaining the attempt to upgrade into the Brazildo after being a RJ F/O for a short while, was a less than optimal personal career choice, even though it has been done before, would go a long way to explain the situation. We all have had to overcome hurdles in this industry, now you have yours too.
PBR

Imagine an ERJ with propellers.

Once again, please RTFG. He's questioning what a "brazila" is, like in the poster's profile. He's not questioning what a "Brazilia" or an EMB-120 is.

I had a friend call me about his job interview with an airline. He was going in there knowing he would have to explain his DUI from a few years prior. I coached him a little bit and he ended up getting the job despite his issue, it is all about the presentation. It does not get much more dumb than a DUI but some people try. I would guess that the guys who popped the ADG will have a tough time finding pilot work for at least a few years.

I explained to my friend that he needed to answer the DUI question with something like

"While I do regret putting myself in the position of getting a DUI I do look at it as a turning point in my life. Prior to the DUI I was on a path that would have resulted in unfortunate circumstances and the DUI was a harsh learning experience that I needed. I wish that I could have figured out the problem before that point but I made significant changes in my life and have maintained a better life since that time."

Take responsibility and show the interviewer that you

A. Take responsibility
B. Show that you learned from it
C. You have changed your ways based on tangible information.

Latest resources

Back