FedEx Seat Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Falconjet

Sorry to start a new thread but I didn't want to continue the debate about the sim stuff in the last FedEx thread.

Just thought I would pass along that I heard today that the seat bid would come out on Aug 5th. That was from flight ops folks who seemed to be in the know, but of course there was the caveat that things could change.

Hopefully it will come out as scheduled.

Anyone else heard anything to dispute or confirm?

FJ

Falconjet said:
Sorry to start a new thread but I didn't want to continue the debate about the sim stuff in the last FedEx thread.

Just thought I would pass along that I heard today that the seat bid would come out on Aug 5th. That was from flight ops folks who seemed to be in the know, but of course there was the caveat that things could change.

Hopefully it will come out as scheduled.

Anyone else heard anything to dispute or confirm?

FJ

I heard that the Paris domicile might be back on:( My understanding is that they might hold the bid until the Paris domicile is decided on. But like u said, everything changes at Fredex by the minute.

Does Fed Ex TDY pilots to domiciles or just create through trips in domiciles around the world. If they do TDY's, how long and were are they.

jacko123 said:
Does Fed Ex TDY pilots to domiciles or just create through trips in domiciles around the world. If they do TDY's, how long and were are they.

Domicle only in Subic Bay PI over seas. That is closing soon and the sort facility is moving to China. No word on the pilots yet. Currently Europe has no domicle. The Airbus has crews that do "European SIBA" where they bid it, get trained in it and fly double dead head trips to and from there.

Goose17

Rumor

Was in the AOC today (sitting Airport stby) speaking with this Capt who just interviewed for an LCA position. Anyway.....next Monday was his rumor concerning the bid. Also....he mentioned that the MD-11 training folks are trying to implement a program that will put new hires directly into the right seat of the Mad Dog. A sign of things to come???? Who knows?

Mad Dog for newhires...

The MD-11 program for new hires is a true one. I've been in the Mad Dog FO training program for about three weeks now. Every single instructor we've been through, including Buck himself, has mentioned it. All say they are moving along at warp speed to get it up and running by the Oct 05 timeframe. Not a single one of them is very enthusiastic about it though.

Kav said:
... Not a single one of them is very enthusiastic about it though.

Can you explain the lack of enthusiasm? I have heard that the training program was designed to progress from SO to FO. Is it just too much of a culture shock to jump straight into the right seat?

I really don't see what the big deal is about hiring into the right seat of the MD11. An airplane is an airplane and it's not like there aren't other companies doing it already.

NightFlyer said:
I really don't see what the big deal is about hiring into the right seat of the MD11. An airplane is an airplane and it's not like there aren't other companies doing it already.

I agree an airplane is an airplane BUT, and it is a big BUT, take some regional pilot who has been flying their same small city feeding the the large hub of say DFW, EWR, MSP and throw them into the right seat of the -11 in ANC and ask them to fly to Almaty in the winter in Meters instead of feet and QFE instead of QNH. Thats what concerns me. We go anywhere and everywhere in the -11.

With all the glass cockpits out there today new hires can learn the FMS and get threw training no problem...crap, its on auto pilot 90% of the time anyway. It is the international ops and having to learn about the company, bidding, scheduling, trip trades, deviations, etc etc that would overwhelm a new hire.

I have no problem hiring into the right seat, as long as it is into the Airbus domestic or the 72, DC10.

Latest resources

Back