• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Seat Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airlines hire into right seats all the time- look at World, Omni, North American, Polar. All are heavys going all over the world. We have put new hires into the Airbus for Subic. Sitting in the back seat of the Boeing not flying, and going to Grand Forks isn't going to help you prepare for the MD-11.

The MD-11 program is so long, since the FMS portion is taught as if the student has had no FMS experience. And after the type ride, there are 2 more weeks of training, inclding 4 days dedicated to international ops. IOE is required to have an ocean crossing for the f/o's, and 2 ocean crossings for the captains.

I don't have a problem with new hires going to any seat they can hold. Besides, if our trend to hire furloughed major guys holds, well, we are tapping in to some good experience.

New hires will do just fine in the right seat of the MD11. The civilian commuter pilot will probably have the least problem making the transition. International operations are not hard, just different. If there is a real problem it is Captains coming to the MD11 with little or no international experience.

Did someone fart? I mean one of those wet, smelly, persistent Taco Bell farts?

FoxHunter said:
The civilian commuter pilot will probably have the least problem making the transition.QUOTE]

I disagree.

A commuter pilot has probably flown glass, which is a good thing, but they have never flown a heavy aircraft nor flown internationally.

A US military fighter pilot is also disadvantaged...no heavy time and some, but not a lot, of international flight experience (Unless they are based in europe, most transit flying internationally occurs on the tankers wing as the tanker handles all clearances and navigation). Fighter pilots also have little instrument flying experience, and have had limited experience in different airfields or high volume civilian airports.

On the other hand a US Military heavy aircraft commander has already flown glass, flown cargo in a heavy airframe, and has taught and flown in the international flight enviroment. I suggest that this individual has the best background to excell in upgrade training.

I am in no way implying that civilain commuter pilots are substandard, they are some of the best people I have flown with.

Echopapa said:
On the other hand a US Military heavy aircraft commander has already flown glass, flown cargo in a heavy airframe, and has taught and flown in the international flight enviroment. I suggest that this individual has the best background to excell in upgrade training.

Obvious, this type of background would be the best or one with heavy international 121 experience, but the civilian commuter pilot would be second.

klhoard said:
Did someone fart? I mean one of those wet, smelly, persistent Taco Bell farts?

Sonny, did you mess yourself again? Reach down and check your diaper. Your mom will get you out of them as soon as you can handle it. :)

I finished Bus Capt training last month. I was on the 11 for 6 years as an F/O. The guy I was paired up with was a new hire going to Subic. He flew G4's in the Navy and corporate. I'm not sure who is best at what but he smoked the program. Every instructor couldn't believe he was a new hire. Neither of us studied the FMS much at all and we had no problems with the program.My comment is that I think new hires would do better going straight to the 11 over the Bus. The MD works all the time the Bus does not. The FMS is weak and flawed. You have to watch it all the time. It climbs out over 250, it does not honor any restriction going up, and screws up a lot of them coming down. Asia flying is easier than the US anyway. May be sour grapes but I miss the 11 and will go back ASAP. Hub-turning again sucks!

The original ? was about the bid. I heard it was ready to be sent (200 WB capt) but that the Paris domicile was back on they didn't know weather they should go ahead with the bid and have another bid for Paris, or hold this bid and do it at the same time. Also, he said we had 57 A300s waiting and that most of the movement would be to the Bus. Anyone else hear anything like that?

Last edited:
More rumors..... that when we move the asian base to China, MD-10's will be the aircraft out there, not the Airbus......

Latest resources

Back