• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx chief pilot rant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't work at FedEx but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn.

"Pilot Error" is never excusable, however working on the backside of the clock, o-dark 30, with questionable sleep while the maids vacuum all day long at the hotel, and the sun coming thru the curtains, is always going to put strains on your performance. It is not like the "Pilot Error" aspect is the same thing as Pilot Error at some corporate operator that flies once a week to Scottsdale, in Day VFR.

With that said, in the interest of research, I ran "Federal Express" as "Airline" here, and requested ALL events (incidents and accidents), since 1970 till present. I know FedEx did not exist in 1970 but just used it for a starting date.

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

46 records showed up.

I did the same thing with "UPS" and "United Parcel Service" and a total of 12 records showed up.

FedEx has 4750 Pilots and 326 Airplanes, per

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/fedex.html

UPS has 2825 Pilots and 246 airplanes, per

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/ups.html

So FedEx's fleet is 32% larger than UPS's with an accident and incident rate that is 283% greater.

Not pointing fingers, not at all. Just running the math.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, as long as you treat a companies hiring practices like a frat and a good ol boys club, you won't really get the "best of the best"

It's interesting, one big manjor airline in particular (70's and 80's) had this very scenario occur, wih FAA anger, etc. Only it was a pax airline and otherwise survivable accidents from the crew perspective had some grannys and slow folk killed during evac from smoke, etc. So it was in fact with more dire consequence. But the issue was, in fact, with leadership in the cockpit. I didn't read the CP's report but if he implys that otherwise preventable accidents could be prevented with leadership, he's right IMHO. I certainly cannot coment on Fedex incidents but I can say hang in there guys and check six.

The other interesting scenario is when an airline suffers a few incidents, it is historically more likely to have more or more serious because of everyone's distraction with the occurences. Self fulfilling prophecy I suppose. At some point the weird cycle breaks. Fly safe guys.

pilot error

Vab...

Of those incidents addressed in the email, which ones weren't pilot error in your opinion?

Curious,

Aviator7576

I'm not involved in any of the accidents. I was just addressing your incorrect statement that said "All were pilot error". They weren't. Some certainly were.

Now feel free to continue to your spewing of inaccuracies. Although I'm sure you don't care if they are inaccurate or not.

By the way, how do you know the FAA is "unhappy"?

I reread the letter.

A couple of highlights and quotes:

1. Passports. A few pilots are coming to work without their passports. The company is not a "babysitter" to remind you professionals to have current medicals and passports with you.

2. (in paragraph 5). One pilot was charged with drug use. Another pilot, while commuting in 7 hours early to work, goes to crew room early and is nabbed for a alcohol test......failed. He was drunk in the crew room.
.....also talks about guys commuting in (tired) and then flying a long trip (tired). Plan your life accordingly.

*Here is where I was wrong. I said the FAA was not happy. It is the NTSB. Here is the quote, "The NTSB isn't real impressed with us."

Another quote
* " Every accident listed above was preventable by the captain knowing what was going on and applying TEM (Threat & error management).

I reread the letter.

A couple of highlights and quotes:

1. Passports. A few pilots are coming to work without their passports. The company is not a "babysitter" to remind you professionals to have current medicals and passports with you.

2. (in paragraph 5). One pilot was charged with drug use. Another pilot, while commuting in 7 hours early to work, goes to crew room early and is nabbed for a alcohol test......failed. He was drunk in the crew room.
.....also talks about guys commuting in (tired) and then flying a long trip (tired). Plan your life accordingly.

*Here is where I was wrong. I said the FAA was not happy. It is the NTSB. Here is the quote, "The NTSB isn't real impressed with us."

Another quote
* " Every accident listed above was preventable by the captain knowing what was going on and applying TEM (Threat & error management).

A read of the TLH accident shows maybe a lack of Captain assertiveness to some extent

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2004/AAR0402.pdf

CVR transcript starts on page 86

Latest resources

Back