• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx chief pilot rant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To the gentleman....(TICO) who decided to post the letter in question. People complain that the letter is an internal email and should not be posted on a public site, I agreed. I deleted it again and left the kind request.

thats all.

If you are willing, I would be curious to know your insights as to the following queries:
  • Given the notion that FedEx does not hire the “best of the best”, can you please site an example of an airline(s) which in your opinion does, and explain why you feel they do? What criteria should be used to determine what the “best of the best” is in terms of airline pilots?
  • Can you also list an airline or airlines that don’t take recommendations into account when factoring in their decision on whom to interview/hire?
  • Does an airline exist which arguably not only hires the “best of the best”, but also isn’t receptive to taking into consideration recommendations from their crew force and/or employee group?
  • If it is true that FedEx doesn’t hire the best airline pilots available, what can be done to the interview/selection process to ensure that in the future we only gain the best pilots available?
  • In your opinion, which hiring practice is more detrimental to an airline: selecting persons to interview based on an internal recommendation who meet the minimum standards as set forth by the company, or selecting those who ONLY meet the basic FAR experience requirements (e.g. commercial instrument rated pilot) but help fulfill said airlines affirmative action quota (I’m probably going to catch heat on this one).
I’m looking forward to your responses.

1) No one can say whether or not FedEx hires only the best of the best. They pick up many of the Best, put miss out on many who are also the best. Not only that, that is not what the system is designed to pick up, unless you think the SCP's process that includes the input (opinion) of numerous ACPs and management types putting their buddies/family first does that. I would say a process picking only the best of the best would be expensive and not worth the trouble. You only need very good. FedEx does a pretty good job at that. After the friends of the family get in first.

2) This question is silly. Of course you get references. It's called getting a real job. (Not military recruitment from ROTC) I can tell you many antisocial tools get picked up by even FedEx. I can think of one that just made it to class after his former squadron mates found out and put in NUMEROUS negative comments in to the ACP. Unfortunately, their input was after the interview was scheduled.

3) Not going to argue this one, other than to point out that many folks work at UAL, DAL and AA and can't get an interview even thought they have sponsors and the required recs. Somehow the system values folks with unproven 121 and questionable crew skills over more skilled aviators with the same or better military experience. Unless you are very well connected with management. How does being a family member equate to being "The Best of the Best?" I would argue the value of pilot group recommendations is devalued over that of CP/ACP "expert opinion" wink. wink. ;)

4) You know how to fix it, you just choose to ignore the obvious. Or you are truly brainwashed that since you were picked up quickly the process is brilliant at picking only the Best and should remain as is.

5) Not even a blip. Look at #3.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back