• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx chief pilot rant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe a competition of who knows more people...that's the way it is and we all know it. Your post is funny, really, HaHa. I read it a second time and laughed even harder than the first. Getting on at fx is not about being a super pilot. It's about who you blow.

Sluggo, wtf are you talking about ".....who you blow"??!

Think about this: just maybe the company wants to hire pilots who are well liked by their peers and get along with others vs. taking a pass on loners like some of you guys are sounding like. I have a good buddy that got turned down too by FDX - and this guys a much better pilot than I am. Who the heck knows why......but don't throw out this "it's who you blow" cr@p.

Adios, my beers getting warm & I've edited this enough already.

Last edited:
Hiring should be done by your resume and then thru your interview. Not solely by someone going to their chief pilot and reccommending their bunk buddy. Active_herk is proof of that. "Please forward your names and SSNs to me so I can be sure to put in a recommendation for you, I want to get credit for getting the "best of the best" on property."

Maybe a competition of who knows more people...that's the way it is and we all know it. Your post is funny, really, HaHa. I read it a second time and laughed even harder than the first. Getting on at fx is not about being a super pilot. It's about who you blow.

Unfortunately, it appears as if I have unintentionally stepped on the toes of some of the fine users of flightinfo.com. Although it wasn’t my objective to infuriate anyone, I was instead trying to provide a little joviality to the tread. Additionally, I was trying to bring light to an issue which may or may not merit discussion, but definitely piques the interest of those involved. Upon reviewing my original post and the responses received from it, I must concede that I wasn’t as successful as I would have liked.

So to my beleaguered friends out there who may have misinterpreted what I meant, I would like to offer the chance for some meaningful dialog with regards to this subject. If you are willing, I would be curious to know your insights as to the following queries:

• Given the notion that FedEx does not hire the “best of the best”, can you please site an example of an airline(s) which in your opinion does, and explain why you feel they do? What criteria should be used to determine what the “best of the best” is in terms of airline pilots?
  • Can you also list an airline or airlines that don’t take recommendations into account when factoring in their decision on whom to interview/hire?
  • Does an airline exist which arguably not only hires the “best of the best”, but also isn’t receptive to taking into consideration recommendations from their crew force and/or employee group?
  • If it is true that FedEx doesn’t hire the best airline pilots available, what can be done to the interview/selection process to ensure that in the future we only gain the best pilots available?
  • In your opinion, which hiring practice is more detrimental to an airline: selecting persons to interview based on an internal recommendation who meet the minimum standards as set forth by the company, or selecting those who ONLY meet the basic FAR experience requirements (e.g. commercial instrument rated pilot) but help fulfill said airlines affirmative action quota (I’m probably going to catch heat on this one).
I’m looking forward to your responses.

Unfortunately, it appears as if I have unintentionally stepped on the toes of some of the fine users of flightinfo.com. Although it wasn’t my objective to infuriate anyone, I was instead trying to provide a little joviality to the tread. Additionally, I was trying to bring light to an issue which may or may not merit discussion, but definitely piques the interest of those involved. Upon reviewing my original post and the responses received from it, I must concede that I wasn’t as successful as I would have liked.

So to my beleaguered friends out there who may have misinterpreted what I meant, I would like to offer the chance for some meaningful dialog with regards to this subject. If you are willing, I would be curious to know your insights as to the following queries:
  • Given the notion that FedEx does not hire the “best of the best”, can you please site an example of an airline(s) which in your opinion does, and explain why you feel they do? What criteria should be used to determine what the “best of the best” is in terms of airline pilots?
  • Can you also list an airline or airlines that don’t take recommendations into account when factoring in their decision on whom to interview/hire?
  • Does an airline exist which arguably not only hires the “best of the best”, but also isn’t receptive to taking into consideration recommendations from their crew force and/or employee group?
  • If it is true that FedEx doesn’t hire the best airline pilots available, what can be done to the interview/selection process to ensure that in the future we only gain the best pilots available?
  • In your opinion, which hiring practice is more detrimental to an airline: selecting persons to interview based on an internal recommendation who meet the minimum standards as set forth by the company, or selecting those who ONLY meet the basic FAR experience requirements (e.g. commercial instrument rated pilot) but help fulfill said airlines affirmative action quota (I’m probably going to catch heat on this one).
I’m looking forward to your responses.

I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned the company's inability to release the Enders Report on safety,, something they spent 1 million dollars on and have never let the operators review it at all, they even wanted the Union to sign non disclosure statements.

Don't understand how the SCP talks about safety and there is a document that may help us to perform safer.. ??

I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned the company's inability to release the Enders Report on safety,, something they spent 1 million dollars on and have never let the operators review it at all, they even wanted the Union to sign non disclosure statements.

Don't understand how the SCP talks about safety and there is a document that may help us to perform safer.. ??

Very good point. We are supposedly the ones who aren't operating up to par, but they won't let us see the report that would allow us to fix our problems.

Guys, once again.....please no posting of private info or emails on a public forum.

Thanks...
LH

Latest resources

Back