Fate is the Hunter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RadarLove:

After reading 3 of Gann's books and 3 of your posts, it is clear that you are an idiot that isn't even fit to lick his boots.

Please refrain from further posting until you have acquired some knowlege of what this industry has gone through, you intolerable putz.

PS., Ernie Gann had underwear with more flight time than you have.

Last edited:
radarlove said:
And don't give me any of "it was different back then",

You obviously have no idea just how many aircraft used to crash "back then." Flying of any kind used to be a very dangerous proposition.

If you think Gann was full of BS, I guess de Saint Expuery's books must have been complete fabrications. After all, how many crashes can a guy survive?

I think you missed the point of the whole book. He wasn't saying he was the hero, he was saying he was no different than anyone else, including all those who didn't live to retirement, just luckier that day.

You should also consider all of the rules that we have that they didn't have to keep out of trouble: good chart coverage, crew rest, oxygen rules, thunderstorm avoidance, etc. You can almost see the rule book being written as they encounter these hazards.

Gann is a god. Go fly radials for a while, then come talk to me. Guy Murchie (the world aloft) is also a good read, St Ex is a little dry for me, but a must read anyway.

I imagine this thread had to start as flame bait, no one can really be that ignorant.

Ty Webb said:
LearLove:

After reading 3 of Gann's books and 3 of your posts, it is clear that you are an idiot that isn't even fit to lick his boots.

Please refrain from further posting until you have acquired some knowlege of what this industry has gone through, you intolerable putz. Bill Lear would pull it out and slap you with it, you pathetic ass-clown.

LearLove might have a little heartburn over your talking smack about him, since he has yet to post to this thread.

radarlove said:
But now I'm almost done and finally my BS meter went off... he spends a lot of time as the hero, let me tell you.

radarlove,

If only half of what Gann describes is true for him personally, it'll give you a first-hand account of what it was like. That alone would be worth the read.

Perhaps you've not had to chance to sit down with some of the pilots who did the things Gann describes in the book and listen to their stories. If you didn't have any heroes before that opportunity, you would afterward. We all stand rather safely and comfortably on the shoulders of what these guys did for aviation and they deserve our respect, not our doubts. I suppose that not being there, it's hard to fathom what actually happened and what it took to be a part of it...both during WW2 and in airline flying post-war.

I was fortunate to fly with a bunch of these Gann-type folks and I still admit to child-like awe at these men. They thought nothing of getting in a B17 with only 300 hours total time and flying over to Europe...flying C46's over the Hump...flying fighters in the Pacific after checking themselves out in a new type that was dropped off at the base along with the manual.

Post war, they came back and flew DC3's, CV240's, and C46's with limited comm/navaids, engines with too many moving parts, little ice protection, and no wx radar, waiting for the lightening flashes at night to see where to penetrate the line. A few even flew for some of the major European carriers, or Iran Air, or Saudi in the '50's, or were in some startup carriers or freight airlines, or non-skeds in the USA.

When you flew with these guys, you were flying with SOMEBODY. They were the survivors...no bragging or BS...they just knew a lot of stuff and if you prompted enough, they'd tell you about it.

I guess my experience was a bit of the reverse of yours...I flew with these guys THEN read the book. If you don't know anyone like these guys yet, hurry up and find a few as their numbers are dwindling. After closing down the bar with them, Gann's book will take on a new reality for you.

UMMMM I didn't post anything. I think somebody got the name wrong. In ref to Gann, I have most of his books, if not all, collected thru ebay and other sources and if you search back in my posts you will see what I've posted about him and his work.

yeah, like i'd really say that being as I'm sitting 2 feet from a bookshelf that has 14 of his books in it that I read regulary.

Last edited:
Went to the AA museum @ DFW some years ago. They had a display case full of Ernest K. Gann's memorabilia, including one of his logbooks. The logbook was opened to the page with the entry labeled "ICE". A very humbling moment to stand and view that.
Gann was flying for Trans Ocean when Island in the Sky and The High and the Mighty was filmed. They provided the aircraft & Gann was the technical director for both films. Read the book "Folded Wings". Good history of Trans Ocean Airlines (TALOA).

Ty Webb said:
LearLove:

Please refrain from further posting until you have acquired some knowlege of what this industry has gone through, you intolerable putz. Bill Lear would pull it out and slap you with it, you pathetic ass-clown.

Easy there sporto. Learlove is not Radarlove. Lear's been there and has been on this ride for quite some time now. I'd suggest you take your own advice. And take a look in the mirror before you call anyone an intolerable putz and a pathetic ass clown.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back