• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fate is the Hunter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
His best book was "The High and the Mighty." Should be required reading before any CRM course. It was made into a Duke Wayne movie.

Ernie and Duke became friends during the filming. In the mid-'70's, I landed at Suburban (Toledo) and saw an odd-looking pusher-twin seaplane being tended by its owner in a T-hangar. Turns out this Piaggio Royal Gull had been Gann's ride during that time, and he and Duke had spent a few hours in it.

Most of the old guys I know are pretty humble, but tell it like it was when pressed. IMO, today's aviators lack the soul of their predecessors. It took a certain individual to succeed back then. I came on when the last range systems were being phased out, those were the golden days for sure.

No one's mentioned it, but Gann went on to also become a successful Broadway producer.

I flew with an 80+ old ex-NWA captain I met a couple years ago. He was typed in -4s, -6s, 580, and the 9. He'd just done about all one could. I had a drop-off in a 421C for the owner, and they let him ride along. I let him fly the dead-head leg (of course). From taxi to takeoff, 1 hour enroute, and landing, he wore that airplane. I barely had to say a thing. He made an elegant descent with minute power reductions, and greased the landing. I remarked on how well he handled the bird as we taxied in. He looked to me with a small tear in his eye. Said he hadn't flown since he retired. Gave me a chill, and made me feel like a hack at the same time.

radarlove said:
I don't think the whole thing was BS, it's just that my BS meter came off the peg during the fifth or sixth time he was landing below minimums while on fire or whatever. I've caught fire twice, both times it was gorgeous VFR. Think back to the number of low, low, low approaches you shoot in a year.

Back when I was running cancelled checks, I've had 5 or 6 low approaches in a night on several occasions. Total number of low approaches would have numbered in the hundreds over the span of a career as long as Gann's. Besides, these approaches were NDB and A-N range approaches, with higher mins than an ILS.

Everyone who likes Gann's books should check out Bob Buck's "North Star Over My Shoulder", as someone already mentioned. Also, Rick Drury's "Flightlines" is excellent, with the same writing style as Gann's. Drury describes the mood from the cockpit of modern jetliners with excellent writing.

Last edited:
radarlove said:
Has anyone read this book? It's about flying in the 40s and it started out fascinating--how little airline work has changed in 60 years, the same problem with crew schedulers, jerk captains, seniority, etc.

But now I'm almost done and finally my BS meter went off. He just described his fifteenth or twentieth harrowing, wings-on-fire, weather below minimums, out-of-gas skillful approach and landing. Either this guy spent his whole career wearing an instrument-training hood, or he found more bad weather than I've ever seen.

Still a good book, especially his day-to-day life descriptions, but ugh, he spends a lot of time as the hero, let me tell you.

Your BS meter may have been going off but then that's just because you are too used to today's airplanes and equipment. Those old guys like Ernie Gann make us look like a bunch of sissys. You actually had to have a set to fly back then. My father started working flying for the airlines(Pan Am for a couple of years and then to UAL) in 1941. I've heard him and his friends tell a lot of stories, some of which I found hard to believe at the first telling but then verified by others. I've seen his old logbooks and the number of engine fires and failures recorded are eye opening. But they were just recorded as side notes because it happened all the time. Now throw in a line of thunderstorms that you can't go around or over and that you may or may not know is there(because there is no radar) or a ton of ice and a low frequency range approach in the mountains and you start to get the idea that this is not the flying that you or I know, not even on our worst days.

Reread the preface to Fate Is The Hunter and note the paragraph where he says he made a conscious effort not to exaggerate and if you have any more doubt about the dangers just look at the list of names at the beginning. I recogize 4 or 5 of those names because my father knew them. It was quite a business back then. And I'll bet Ernie Gann never whined about wearing his hat.

pat

91 said:
Easy there sporto. Learlove is not Radarlove. Lear's been there and has been on this ride for quite some time now. I'd suggest you take your own advice. And take a look in the mirror before you call anyone an intolerable putz and a pathetic ass clown.

No offense but I don't think he was referring to Learlove from flightinfo, he was talking about Bill Lear who invented the Lear jet, just a little different. So before you get too excited read it a little more carefully.

SenorSpielbergo said:
Ernest K. Gann happened to be a gifted writer (Band of Brothers, The High and the Mighty).

Actually, Band of Brothers was written by Stephen E. Ambrose.

Gann wrote another book by this title. About a 727 that crashes due to a malfuntioning beacon.

radarlove said:
I don't think the whole thing was BS, it's just that my BS meter came off the peg during the fifth or sixth time he was landing below minimums while on fire or whatever. I've caught fire twice, both times it was gorgeous VFR. Think back to the number of low, low, low approaches you shoot in a year.

And don't give me any of "it was different back then", 'cause it wasn't that different. Well, the overseas stuff was weird, but I've done my share of pounding along through the ice and thunderstorms in piston twins with no radar and crappy ice boots shooting NDB approaches, while packed to the gills with freight. So my "hero meter" didn't exactly peg out, especially when it becomes clear that most of his life-threatening emergencies were self-created, as life-threatening emergencies tend to be, when it comes to airplanes.

Since I flew piston twins in Northern Minnesota in the Winter and lost an engine, am I now "the man" too?

You've GOT to be $hitting me...

radarlove said:
Since I flew piston twins in Northern Minnesota in the Winter and lost an engine, am I now "the man" too?

Turn that experience into the next "greatest aviation book ever written" and we'll see.

Huck said:
I've got a still from the movie: Wayne in a white airline uniform and hat, walking down the aisle of the DC-6, a look on his face that says he knows they're in trouble. They don't make men like that any more.

Come on Huck! You used to see that look on my face every time I walked into the cockpit! Or maybe the look was on your face?:)

ATRCAPT said:
Gann wrote another book by this title. About a 727 that crashes due to a malfuntioning beacon.

My bad, I didn't realize there was another book with that title.

There is a movie about Gann called "Gentleman Of Adventure" and is available from Pal Productions. It runs a little over an hour. There is a direct link to Pal Productions on my website. www.bdkingpress.com

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back