Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Radarlove:

You have no respect!

Yeah, I spent many hours poopin' my pants, loaded up with ice over 12,000 ft. MEA's in recip twins.

But!

We are standing on the shoulders of giants. You think you were born with all that "pilot knowledge"? Somebody gave you a clue. Somebody gave you that "pilot attitude". Somebody knew "somebody" that died passing that info/lore along.

You are standing on the shoulders of giants. And bragging about how "tall" you are...
Our procedures and culture are written in blood. (As well as our checklists...)

oldxfr8dog said:
Radarlove:

You have no respect!

Yeah, I spent many hours poopin' my pants, loaded up with ice over 12,000 ft. MEA's in recip twins.

But!

We are standing on the shoulders of giants. You think you were born with all that "pilot knowledge"? Somebody gave you a clue. Somebody gave you that "pilot attitude". Somebody knew "somebody" that died passing that info/lore along.

You are standing on the shoulders of giants. And bragging about how "tall" you are...
Our procedures and culture are written in blood. (As well as our checklists...)

Well said man.

I saw "Island in the Sky", the movie, in the base theater at Reese AFB while I was an Aviation Cadet in 1953. It inspired me. A year later, in 1954, I saw "The High and the Mighty" as a new USAF pilot and it inspired me even more.

Yesterday I ordered both of those from Amazon.com for August release and I can hardly wait to see them again. And I will be moved by them again after 32,000 hours of my own flying.

~DC

radarlove said:
NDBs are different now? Cowl flaps are different? Non-radar environment is different? Wing boots are different? Ice is different? Feathering a prop is different?

Yeah, actually they were. I believe, and someone else can correct me, but the early NDB approaches were flown with a direction finder where you had to turn the loop yourself. Besides that the receivers today are better and more reliable. Also many of the approaches that he spoke about in the book were low frequency range approaches. There aren't many people left that have flown any of those. And pilots actually still had to know how to use a sextant. It was just a bit different. Once again, look at the list at the beginning of the book and tell me again how it's all the same today. I guess all of the guys on that list just weren't as good a pilot as you are.

patq1 said:
Yeah, actually they were. I believe, and someone else can correct me, but the early NDB approaches were flown with a direction finder where you had to turn the loop yourself. Besides that the receivers today are better and more reliable. Also many of the approaches that he spoke about in the book were low frequency range approaches. There aren't many people left that have flown any of those. And pilots actually still had to know how to use a sextant. It was just a bit different. Once again, look at the list at the beginning of the book and tell me again how it's all the same today. I guess all of the guys on that list just weren't as good a pilot as you are.

Very nice post. You are indeed correct. Unless I counted wrong, there are 350 names at the beginning of the book. They are listed as "To these old comrades with wings...Forever folded." Fifty one were from American Airlines. Gann's company. The probability is that he met each one. He probably knew others from other carriers, as for example, he knew Bob Buck (TWA, alive and well)...Think about it. How many guys do you know bought it? In my case, I knew twenty six. Now that does not mean we sent Christmas cards each year, but could at least say hi and how's the kids. That number pales to Gann's, and quite possibly to others on this silly forum.

You really make me feel old with the statement about range leg approaches. Curb your tongue. I ain't that old..........I do not regret their demise, but by God they had flavor. The cone of silence was deafening....Come to think of it, maybe I do miss it. T'was a challenge to the bowels and one's patience..Amber Airways were indeed different.

As times became modern, we became really fancy. We could transmit on approach or tower and listen on the localizer freq. Had to. Only had one transmitter and one, and only one, receiver. Actually, only had five or seven transmitting crystals.

I will shut up now.

www.bdkingpress.com

It is so awesome to hear some of the "old timers" participating in this thread. I wish they'd participate more in the boards. Sadly, we could learn so much from them, but are too busy bitching about Mesa's contract or dealing with flamebait posters to sit and listen. I know I at least feel that way. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to believe all the "old timers" don't want to put up with all the immaturity, so they hide in the shadows. I hope more come out to "tell us how it is" so we can learn from them.

I only wish I had some "old timers" around to talk to and learn from when I was younger and just getting started in flying. I think it could have done wonders. At least some have written books we can read, and re-read, for a long time.

Last edited:
BD King said:
Very nice post. You are indeed correct. Unless I counted wrong, there are 350 names at the beginning of the book. They are listed as "To these old comrades with wings...Forever folded." Fifty one were from American Airlines. Gann's company. The probability is that he met each one. He probably knew others from other carriers, as for example, he knew Bob Buck (TWA, alive and well)...Think about it. How many guys do you know bought it? In my case, I knew twenty six. Now that does not mean we sent Christmas cards each year, but could at least say hi and how's the kids. That number pales to Gann's, and quite possibly to others on this silly forum.

You really make me feel old with the statement about range leg approaches. Curb your tongue. I ain't that old..........I do not regret their demise, but by God they had flavor. The cone of silence was deafening....Come to think of it, maybe I do miss it. T'was a challenge to the bowels and one's patience..Amber Airways were indeed different.

As times became modern, we became really fancy. We could transmit on approach or tower and listen on the localizer freq. Had to. Only had one transmitter and one, and only one, receiver. Actually, only had five or seven transmitting crystals.

I will shut up now.

www.bdkingpress.com

I heard the stories from my father and his friends about the range approaches and all sorts of other interesting things, including the lighted airway beacons. As far as the list is concerned, I recognize 4 or 5 names as friends of my fathers that he used to talk about. He probably knew most of the other UAL names. I know of at least one occasion where the company asked him to tell the family because they were friends.

I checked out your website. I need to order a copy of Hostage to Fortune. Thanks.

Pat

FlyChicaga said:
It is so awesome to hear some of the "old timers" participating in this thread. I wish they'd participate more in the boards. Sadly, we could learn so much from them, but are too busy bitching about Mesa's contract or dealing with flamebait posters to sit and listen. I know I at least feel that way. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm almost feeling like all the "old timers" who really paved the way for us don't want to put up with all the immaturity, so they hide in the shadows. I hope more come out to "tell us how it is" so we can learn from them.

I only wish I had some "old timers" around to talk to and learn from when I was younger and just getting started in flying. I think it could have done wonders. At least some have written books we can read, and re-read, for a long time.

Who have you paved the way for? How can you say you "Almost feel like all the old timers.." Are you kidding me? You are basically a low time wonder pilot. You'll still be wet behind the ears for many years to come. Thanks for the laugh though.

patq1 said:
I heard the stories from my father and his friends about the range approaches and all sorts of other interesting things, including the lighted airway beacons. As far as the list is concerned, I recognize 4 or 5 names as friends of my fathers that he used to talk about. He probably knew most of the other UAL names. I know of at least one occasion where the company asked him to tell the family because they were friends.

I checked out your website. I need to order a copy of Hostage to Fortune. Thanks.

Pat

Thanks. You will also find Robert Serling's THE LEFT SEAT. That book helped prompt standardization, but really deals with the old time humor and comradarie of the airlines prior to the jet age. Dean Smith's book, BY THE SEAT OF MY PANTS, is probably my favorite read after A HOSTAGE TO FORTUNE. It is somewhat of an obscure book, but by golly, you will think you have God as your co-pilot after you read it.

Captain Overs said:
Who have you paved the way for? How can you say you "Almost feel like all the old timers.." Are you kidding me? You are basically a low time wonder pilot. You'll still be wet behind the ears for many years to come. Thanks for the laugh though.

Hey Captain Overs, I think you are a bit harsh here. Reread his post again.

Captain Overs said:

Did you even read what I said? Or do you just feel like you have some bone to pick? Twice now you have replied to posts of mine reading only what you want to hear, instead of what I wrote. Either that, or I suggest Sylvan Learning Centers. Obviously you have some major issue that it might be time to come to terms with. I might be an over-eager pilot dork, but I do know my place.

BDKing,

I just checked out your website, and bought "Hostage to Fortune", "The High and the Mighty", and "The Left Seat". Thank you for reproducing these books! I've gone to Barnes and Noble and Borders all over the country, every time getting on the computer and searching for Ernest K. Gann. No luck, minus "Fate Is The Hunter". I anxiously await delivery.

Latest resources

Back