Fastest Business Airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G21Agoose said:
We often have the same- X's may have a high TAS but we catch up on the descent with our 350+ KIAS
Just to play devil's advocate:A majority of our descents/STARS are speed restricted because of the traffic we are following.

G21Agoose said:
...10 mins difference on a 600nm trip. Who cares????
Man, I wish I could get a trip with 3 digit mileage. For 600 miles I hope they wouldn't buy a CX or a GIV/G. Time is money, that is why people buy biz jets in the first place. To many of our owners the extra :30 min to an hour on a coast to coast flight are big deal.

This week I took off 5 min behind a company GIV on the same route (3+ hours). At the end of the first hour we were 25+ miles from of him (and he got a shortcut).

NJA Capt said:
This week I took off 5 min behind a company GIV on the same route (3+ hours). At the end of the first hour we were 25+ miles from of him (and he got a shortcut).

The GIV cruises at M 0.80. The GV cruises at M 0.85. Both are still in production. The Citation X is a failed product (primarily due to reliability issues and the small dark cabin) that has gone out of production with no follow-on announced.

NJA Capt said:
Man, I wish I could get a trip with 3 digit mileage. For 600 miles I hope they wouldn't buy a CX or a GIV/G. Time is money, that is why people buy biz jets in the first place. To many of our owners the extra :30 min to an hour on a coast to coast flight are big deal.

Maybe going East. Going West is another story.

This is from the current FAI World Record Book for speed over a recognized course between New York and Los Angeles. The Citation has the record for speed in it's class, but not overall - that belongs to the Gulfstream. Just so you don't have to get out your calculator, the GV averaged 535 MPH from New York to Los Angeles in the factory demonstrator; the Citation was over 26 MPH slower.

Teterboro, NJ (USA) - Van Nuys, CA (USA) : 819.39 km/h
Speed over a recognised course
Benjamin M. BUDZOWSKI (USA), Mark O. SCHLEGEL
11/05/1995 Aircraft:
Cessna 750 Citation X
Engines: 2 x Allison GMA 3007C, 6 000 lb each

Teterboro, NJ (USA) - Van Nuys, CA (USA) : 861.98 km/h
Speed over a recognised course
Tom OWENS (USA), Christian M. KENNEDY
03/07/2000 Aircraft:
Gulfstream Aerospace G-V
Engines: 2 X BMW Rolls-Royce BR710, 14.750 lbs each

Keep in mind that this record was achieved in a GV and has stood for six years; the G550 has 6% more equivalent thrust, is aerodynamically cleaner and easily flys 5,000 nm at Mach 0.87.

GV

501261 said:
So do you think we can start working on getting a "Stripper Pole:pimp: " STC on my G550. I mean if Gulfstream doesn't think they can install a couple of "stripper poles:pimp: " into custom my blue velvet interior:bomb: , I'll just have to start talking to Bombardier;) .

I'm thinking 3 stripper poles, one up front by the door, one in back, and a "main stage" in the middle. :laugh:

There's a G that comes into PTK with a pole and shag carpet in the back. I think it's a GIII.

GVFlyer said:
11/05/1995 Aircraft:Cessna 750 Citation X

03/07/2000 Aircraft:Gulfstream Aerospace G-V
And, so you don't have to get out the Almanac, the winds in March are about half the winds in Nov. You guys are funny. It drives you crazy that a little tin Cessna product cruises faster than the mighty, super clean, aerodynamically superior-to-every-man-made-object-that-will-ever-be-built Gulfstream.

NJA Capt said:
And, so you don't have to get out the Almanac, the winds in March are about half the winds in Nov.
I don't know that I would say that... about 3-4 weeks ago is when I saw the highest wind I've ever seen over the US, I had it as my avatar for a while... it was 282° @ 190kts... Last November the winds were quite light, actually...

Running 2 flight plans using monthly average winds along that route show an average headwind component of 63 kts in November vs. 60 kts in March... 3 kts is only 3.45 Mph so the C-X was still 22 Mph slower than the G-V...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back