Fastest Business Airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
honestly it depends how you climb it.

If you climb it fast through the 20's it will then accelerate through the 30's. The 20's the climb sucks. But if you can build some speed then pitch through the 20's and get into the 30's and enter 300/.80 in the fms the plane will climb at 2000' per minute at .80.

It can be a dog especially if it's an older type, with the warmer temps.

The GV has some serious nuts.

Citation X

Depends on how you climb the aircraft. Using the programed climb speed of 275 knots, it is good. Using a climb speed of 300 knots works better. That 300 knots transitions into .83 Mach at altitude for the climb. The aircraft is climbing at .83 mach. The aircraft has 1 pound of thrust for every 3 pounds of Gross weight. The X is very sluggish on climb in higher than ISA temperatures though.

X man said:
The aircraft (Citation X) has 1 pound of thrust for every 3 pounds of Gross weight.

Gotta love it. Although the G550 has 1 pound of thrust for each 2.95 pounds of aircraft when loaded with 8 passengers and enough fuel to fly from Beijing to Miami, when loaded to fly from San Francisco to Richmond, VA, it has 1 pound of thrust for every 2 pounds of aircraft.

GV

Thanks for the responses about the Citation X climb performance. Is it true that the Citation X is going out of production with no follow-on high-speed replacement announced by Cessna? If so, why?

???

I don't know what's going on here, but my below post was the thread starter for this thread and should be the first post, not the last...

GEXDriver said:
I heard something interesting on the radio today. A Citation X had taken off from St. Paul with a GV taking off right after him. The Citation X, N944QS, was given a climb to FL400 by Minneapolis Center. Center then told him to, "Stop climb at FL260, there is a GV below you that is outclimbing you and overtaking you by 30 knots." The GV was then given an unrestricted climb to FL450. Best I could tell by the radios the Citation was not leveled and was given a progressive climb, but the GV was level at FL450 before the Citation was out of FL390. I know how fast the X is straight and level, so my question is, "Is the Citation X a dog in the climb or what was going on here?"
I made it to FL450 yesterday in about 15 minutes in the G-V with enough fuel to about 5 hours (plus having reserves)...

I have passed Citation X's several times in the lower altitudes in the Falcons (Vmo 370 KIAS)...

I heard something interesting on the radio today. A Citation X had taken off from St. Paul with a GV taking off right after him. The Citation X, N944QS, was given a climb to FL400 by Minneapolis Center. Center then told him to, "Stop climb at FL260, there is a GV below you that is outclimbing you and overtaking you by 30 knots." The GV was then given an unrestricted climb to FL450. Best I could tell by the radios the Citation was not leveled and was given a progressive climb, but the GV was level at FL450 before the Citation was out of FL390. I know how fast the X is straight and level, so my question is, "Is the Citation X a dog in the climb or what was going on here?"

Citation 10 out of production

First I have heard of that. There was a flicker of a rumor 3 to 4 years ago of a Citation 12, a relationship between Boeing and Cessna, Boeing would work the wing, Cessna would build the aircraft.
It was to be stand up cabin and would cruise just below the speed of sound.
Apparently there is an area just below the speed of sound that the aircraft would be most economical. Never heard another whimper about it though.

Latest resources

Back