Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've laid out nothing but facts.
Uhh:
More expensive to maintain and *ALWAYS* broken. The thing is just old. If I tried to do in 50EX what we did in the Legacy we'd be in a service center within three days.Opinion, not fact.
If you're a French midget it's perfect for you. Me, I'm ready to kill myself after about 2 hours in it.Opinion, not fact.
Louder (You think a Legacy is loud, try a Falcon. The gaspers will make you deaf.)Opinion, not fact.
- Environmental sucks. Overheat the ducts... Always feel cold at altitude Opinion, not fact.
X-Wind Performance is abysmal.Opinion, not fact(closest to true though)
No foot pedal steering Fact, but the negativity of it is an opinion. I don't miss pedal steering (My Opinion)
Non-linear tiller. Ridiculous Fact, but the negativity of it is an opinion. I like it that way as do many others...different stokes..
Under-ruddered Opinion, not fact.
DV Window Weak. (Someone breaks the heater about every fourth time they close it.Opinion, not fact. You're the only one I've ever heard of on this one.
Draining potable water a nightmare Opinion, not fact
Baggage Compartment - TINY Opinion, not fact. I've never filled it up...
Fuel Gauges SUCK Opinion, not fact
Fuel system a clusterhump Opinion, not fact ???How could it be any simpler?
Electrical system (see above)Opinion, not fact ???How could it be any simpler?(see above)
No Ice Detection Incorrect, (it's the little red light on the center window)
No Trailing Link Gear Fact, but the negativity of it is an opinion. Some of us don't need it:blush:
Ergonomics particularly night lighting horrendous. You get some lights dim and other lights bright no matter how you try to adjust them. Also reflects off the glass which is just annoying as heck.Opinion, not fact
AOM and AFM are ridiculous. They are as many volumes as an encyclopedia and they tell you NOTHING about the airplane Opinion, not fact, and incorrect.
The Embraer is 1000 times more durable, far more comfortable, reliable, and redundant. Opinion, not fact unless you can show me the data to back that one up...
But ergonomically it is horrible, cramped, and uncomfortable. Opinion, not fact
Time has passed the Falcon by.Opinion, not fact

I'll be the first to admit that Falcons have faults. But dude, step away from the kool-aid. It's all about looks anyway, and 50s are beautiful airplanes.

Regarding the pathetic "ICE DETECTOR" on the Falcon (what a joke). It's a blue light. It sucks.

The cockpit *IS* small. Maybe you think it is large because you flew a Pitts.

How could the fuel system be simpler? See an EMB.

How could the electrical system be simpler? See an EMB.

Fuel gauges suck. Fact. How can you say that +/- 500# is anything but lame? Sorry but my standards are higher than yours I guess.

Draining potable water is excruciating at best and good luck filling it back up. Like I said, this is an absolute fact. Draining water in a Falcon is torture. Takes half an hour. EMB - PULL. Done. Literally faster than I can type it.

EMB is absolutely more durable. Dispatch numbers for the fleet prove it.

DV Window heater breaks all the time. That is a fact and I'm sure RUM and CRJ can back that one up. Every other time I get in a 50 the DV window heater isn't working because the pin in the handle got bent. I slammed EMB windows shut every leg for six years and never had any problems. So *FACT*. Maybe you just never open yours.

Noise. The Noise level on the Legacy has been proven to be the same or quieter than the 50EX. (A friend of mine did the initial sound proofing on the Legacy and I've seen his data. The newer ones are even quieter now and there is an even better noise reduction technology in the works. Still, at FL410 and 260 KIAS you don't hear anything in either airplane--save the gaspers on the 50. Gawd.) The gaspers on the 50 roar like a freight train. Most pilots I know close them because they are too loud.

Baggage compartment is tiny. That's a *FACT*. If I have more than three people I'm sweating. Maybe you fly around one rich guy by himself with no bags and thus the TINY baggage compartment doesn't bother you. So be it. The fact is the thing is small.

Night lighting sucks. Maybe you like bright lights glaring in your face and reflecting off the glass at night but that doesn't make my assertion any less true.

I can go on but why bother?

The 50 is old. It is an ergonomic headache. It is a systems cluster. It is out of production in part because of these things.

Goodbye 50.

Hello Legacy.

Last edited:
When it has a higher workload than is reasonably necessary to do the job...

A crappy tiller...

No rudder...

A taxi light that at night is as bright as a candle...

I can go on but I won't.

If I ever run one of these things off the side of the runway (or scrape a wingtip) in a crosswind because of its horrible rudder authority (and minimal wingtip clearance) I am betting that's a violation.

I can only say this: I could take an Embraer any place, any time, under just about any condition you can imagine and was never afraid of it biting me in the ass because it is built not to. With a Falcon I am geared up for it every second of the way even on days that a 152 would laugh at. (Maybe that's a good thing in some strange fashion--you'll never see me with my guard down or acting complacent in a Dassault!!!!!!)

Last edited:
I understand that you get all hard and woody over the jungle jet. I think it's great that you dig it so much. But I don't think it's the answer to everyone's mission. Many seem to agree with that opinion.
Do you see much less childlike it seems when you put "I believe" in front of your statements?

I understand that you get all hard and woody over the jungle jet. I think it's great that you dig it so much. But I don't think it's the answer to everyone's mission. Many seem to agree with that opinion.
Do you see much less childlike it seems when you put "I believe" in front of your statements?

Many also seem to agree with the opinion that the Falcon is not the answer to everyone's mission. (Think of how obvious that statement is. NO airplane is the answer to everyone's mission.)

This guy was asking for alternatives to the 50EX and a previous poster suggested the Legacy. Obviously I am not the only one who thinks that the Legacy is a viable/superior option to the Dassault.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I think the Legacy rocks. That's no secret. You don't. That's okay by me. But don't pretend the 50EX is the greatest airplane ever built because it is FAR *FAR* from it. For my money both airplanes are compromises, but the EMB compromises are the ones that make my job easier and my passengers more comfortable.

The Legacy isn't the fastest, the highest flying, or the biggest, but it is a remarkable blend of extremely good qualities. It is a pilot's airplane and my experience is the people in the back who pay for it love it. Obviously not everyone can be happy with an airplane and the Legacy is no exception. But again, in my experience it is overwhelmingly popular with crews, pax, mx, management, and ownership.

Last edited:
Legacy- Still in KBNA. Mechanics made it here so hope it is just a prox switch or easy fix. Chat with you later if your still speaking to me;) .

My vote is still for the Challenger 300! Flex should be putting some "lightly:rolleyes: " used ones on the market, if not all ready.

Fly safe- Rum

PS- And yes, I will back Legacy up that the DV window can be a bugger and we have had some problems with it. Use caution closing! Also, with the 50EX being my 3rd jet, I can say it is by far the most demanding and can really bite you in the arse.

Last edited:
Rumrnnr and Legacy are right. However, all three of us come from airline backgrounds and are used to rugged airplanes. For my money, I'd still prefer a bigger cockpit airplane, but Im a creature of comfort. :) Falcon definitely has a market and presents a good airplane. But that being said this is America, everyone has their own set of preferences. Oh by the way, where is that 50EX totalizer? Man i could really use that. Havnt seen it. :D

Latest resources

Back