Falcon 50ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

c140

The Boss-man is looking at up-grading to a Falcon 50ex... What are the pros and cons, any other information on the plane would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What an jerk. Is he a Flt Opts beech driver ?

EX is amazing. Burns much less then staight 50. Climb performance is excellent.

The 50EX is a great plane. Expensive to maintain, but they don't break much. Built like tanks.

The EX will go 3000nm at .80, no sweat. You'll love the bird.

I have been flying the DA-50EX for 4 years now. Overall it is a great aircraft for the money. I have not had many problems with it.

In our fleet of three we have had a few engine failures (the TFE-731-40 engine has some problems with a carbon seal and turbin blades cracking, do some research on that). There is also a problem with leaking Fuel Control Units (I have had that one), failure of the oil bypass valve (expensive to replace because you have to remove an outboard engine to get to it, we had three of those this year for some reason) and a failure in an oil return line that is covered by AD (it cracks and leads to an engine shutdown due to low oil pressure). The problem with this aircraft is really with the engines.

The aircraft itself performs well. Great short field performance, good second segment climb numbers, great range. The cabin is not all that big, the max pax for comfort is 6. Plenty of baggage space (not big enough for skiis though). I made it from KBUR to Atlanta today at M.83, FL 390, burned around 9,000 lbs of fuel, average 40 kt tail wind, 3.5 hours flight time, landed with 4000 lbs of fuel (still had room for 2,000 lbs more fuel if I had needed it), I could have carried 9 pax.

Overall, it is a lot of aircraft for the money.

Last edited:
Also to consider c140 is a straight 50 that has been converted to the -4 engine config.

Talk to the folks at Premiere Aircraft. The advantage of this route is you may wind up with an equal performing aircraft for less money.

But there is no free lunch....these will be older airframes that will need other work.

The smart money will likely go with lower time and newer airframes vs. older airframes and higher times.

YMMV.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back