Falcon 50 series questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

Owner is looking at upgrading from the 800A. Spoke with him and he initially wanted an 800XP but now is rethinking that he wants something a little more useful than going from an 800A to an 800XP. I've been doing some comparisons and from what I have found using several websites including jetsearch.com and jetbroker.com the Falcon 50 strikes my attention.

Can anybody attest to the numbers posted on these websites? They seem rather low when comparing it to the 800A. It doesn't seem that much more expensive per hour, etc. Also, what are the differences between the EX, -4 and -40? I'm assuming the -4 meaning 731-4 upgrade?

Also, I welcome other opinions as far as airplane upgrade under the $8mil mark that won't be an extraordinary fixed/variable costs.

Thanks in advance.

Owner is looking at upgrading from the 800A. Spoke with him and he initially wanted an 800XP but now is rethinking that he wants something a little more useful than going from an 800A to an 800XP. I've been doing some comparisons and from what I have found using several websites including jetsearch.com and jetbroker.com the Falcon 50 strikes my attention.

Can anybody attest to the numbers posted on these websites? They seem rather low when comparing it to the 800A. It doesn't seem that much more expensive per hour, etc. Also, what are the differences between the EX, -4 and -40? I'm assuming the -4 meaning 731-4 upgrade?

Also, I welcome other opinions as far as airplane upgrade under the $8mil mark that won't be an extraordinary fixed/variable costs.

Thanks in advance.

An old Falcon is an expensive Falcon...more so than most.

Also, has your boss sat in a DA50?...its very small. Not really an upgrade from a Hawker.

I agree, the cabin of a 50 over an 800 is not much of an upgrade.

Bottom line is that a straight Falcon 50 can do everything a 800XP can do. The 800XP cannot do everything a straight Falcon 50 can do.

As far as a 50EX, even as depressed as the market is you'll not find a used EX anywhere near $8 million USD. I'm not positive, but I don't believe you can find a -40 under $8 million USD as well. But hey, it never hurts to look.

A 50 will cost more to operate, how much I can't say, but either you go for performance or cost. Either way, both aircraft are good.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that a straight Falcon 50 can do everything a 800XP can do. The 800XP cannot do everything a straight Falcon 50 can do.

As far as a 50EX, even as depressed as the market is you'll not find a used EX anywhere near $8 million USD. I'm not positive, but I don't believe you can find a -40 under $8 million USD as well. But hey, it never hurts to look.

A 50 will cost more to operate, how much I can't say, but either you go for performance or cost. Either way, both aircraft are good.

I was talking to a broker last week about a Lear 45 we are interested in and as we were talking airplanes he mentioned he had a line on a 50EX for $7M. BS or not I don't know.

Probably not a stretch, just spoke to a friend. They returned their leased G4 and purchased a 10 year old G4 for $10 mill

Not so sure about that $8mm mark for the 50 EX. Just saw an early s/n 900B go for $10mm and s/n's newer than #100 can be had for around $12mm. That tells me that a smart buyer could possibly get the deal of the week on a 50 EX for just under $8mm. But then again, what the hell do I know???
BTW, go for the 50, whatever variant, it'll kick the snot out of the Hawker eight ways from Sunday!!!!!

I believe the numbers....anything used is selling for rediculous prices.

However, if you still need to sell your Hawker - good luck....you will have to give it away.

You can get an early serial G150 for at or just over $8 real large these days...cabin is a bit shorter in length than your Hawker but it's faster, has more range, more cargo space, better runway performance, and substantially lower DOCs than anything else with ~3000nm range.

But it does have boots instead of a hot wing, so its got that going for it! :laugh:

Owner is looking at upgrading from the 800A. Spoke with him and he initially wanted an 800XP but now is rethinking that he wants something a little more useful than going from an 800A to an 800XP.

You really need to define what "a little more useful" means???

Latest resources

Back