• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Falcon 50 series questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was talking to a broker last week about a Lear 45 we are interested in and as we were talking airplanes he mentioned he had a line on a 50EX for $7M. BS or not I don't know.

Well, I wish I could say that I was surprised about that price, but I've seen some really low price purchases of some very expensive aircraft. The last 50EX that I know of that sold was a 2004 model with about 1,500 hours TT sold for under $14 million USD, quite a bit under 14 by the way.

That was less than a month ago. So it is possible that there may be a high time early serial number 50EX out there that someone has to dump.

I can tell you one thing, if you are a cash buyer right now, you would be really surprised what you can buy way under average retail used price.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

I can tell you one thing, if you are a cash buyer right now, you would be really surprised what you can buy way under average retail used price.

Just like the stock you could have bought in Late Feb early March. Timing is everything.

You can get an early serial G150 for at or just over $8 real large these days...cabin is a bit shorter in length than your Hawker but it's faster, has more range, more cargo space, better runway performance, and substantially lower DOCs than anything else with ~3000nm range.

But it does have boots instead of a hot wing, so its got that going for it! :laugh:

How well do the boots work? I can't fathom why they would make a boot on a 2001 airplane, unless you're Cessna. Not enough power from the engines for hot wing I presume?

I've never heard any operational complaints about the boot system on IAI airframes, but despite their effectiveness its plain that many pilots dislike the thought of boots on a jet. What can one say other than its a legacy wing in its design, not unlike the Hawker with its TKS wing. At least with boots you don't lose any climb performance (or have to source TKS on the road)...plus least the G150 boots are painted silver to look like hot wings :D

Having flown a few of the fine IAI products with boots.....it's actually one of the few good items on those POS airplanes!!!

Very little loss of power when you want it most (example climbing in the mid-high 20's?)

I'd rather climb through the crap wx than look cool on the ramp.

How well do the boots work? I can't fathom why they would make a boot on a 2001 airplane, unless you're Cessna. Not enough power from the engines for hot wing I presume?

Because the 150 was built on top of the Astra type certificate. And when you're essentially making a home-built it starts getting MASSIVELY expensive to do a re-design of ANY system, as opposed to just putting together the existing systems.

There is actually no better example of this philosophy than the Lear 20/30/50/60 series.

You don't have this issue with clean-sheet designs, like the follow-on G250 vs. the G200.

Ultra

You'd be doing both in the 50. :pimp:

I have never flown a regular 50, but I assume if a 900ex gets bogged down with the ice on so does a 50...If a business jet cant go striaght to FL410 full fuel its underpowered. I know its not ideal to fly like that endurance wise, but it usually gets you above the weather. If I wanted to camp out in moderate turbulence doing .76 at FL340 with the ice on in South America at night, I'd buy a 731 Falcon..

I will say - Falcon finally got it right by ditching those engines on the 7X.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back