• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fabulous FJ uniforms...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Flight Options pilot group has a CBA that protects them from wearing that thing:

9.1 Company Provided Uniform Articles and Accessories
The Company will issue a pilot the following uniform articles and accessories at the time of hire: two black pants...
9.2 Pilot Provided Uniform Articles and Accessories
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The pilot shall be responsible for the following uniform articles and accessories: white dress pilot shirts with flap pockets and epaulette holders, black business shoes, black socks and a black belt.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

You forgot the next section

9.3 Change in Uniform
The Company shall provide all pilots, at no expense, with replacement articles and accessories whenever there are changes to the uniform or accessories referred to in subsection 9.1.

I am sure you didn't intentionally forget to include this section.

So, all they would have to do if/when they change your uniform is provide you new pieces listed in your CBA.

^ TWA He didn't forget the part - it's that it's not relevant. It's legalese, I know, but 9.1 addresses black pants & 9.2 addresses white shirts. So the changes in 9.3 refer to something like maybe a tie pattern change. Hope this helps. LS

OK, I have been monitoring this forum for years.....never posted anything on here, never felt the need. The sad thing is, this proposed uniform made me actually vent for the first time. What the .....is this guy thinking? I am proud to be a professional pilot and present myself accordingly, but this uniform is unprofessional looking, ridiculous and makes a mockery of the profession! No one that I have shown the pictures of the uniform likes them, no one that I know of that has shown the pictures to other individuals like it. Quite the contrary, they seriously find it laughable. What in the hell makes KR think that our owners will like it? Are they from a different planet with different tastes?
I also couldn't help noticing that the majority of the crews reaction to the uniform on yammer have been deleted! If this is the way it is going to be going forward and middle management is afraid to let KR see what the Flex group thinks of his ideas and feels the need to censor the individuals then the future does not look very promising for the open lines of communication I believe still exist between pilot group and management. The Blazer with the slanted bars...are you kidding me??? I dont even wanna go down this designated crew concept, what a can of worms this is going to open up.

^ TWA He didn't forget the part - it's that it's not relevant. It's legalese, I know, but 9.1 addresses black pants & 9.2 addresses white shirts. So the changes in 9.3 refer to something like maybe a tie pattern change. Hope this helps. LS

It actually is relevant.

What about a pant pattern changed, like pin stripes? It addresses changes to the uniform or accessories. That sounds like they can change everything.

They can change the pants in 9.1 and the shirt in 9.2, they just have to provide them to the crewmembers.

Do you guys have some sort of uniform committee? I saw all kinds of committees listed in your contract, but not one for the uniform. I also didn't see anywhere in the CBA that says you have a say in changes to the uniform, just they have to provide the new items to you when it is changed.

Last edited:

9.3 Change in Uniform
The Company shall provide all pilots, at no expense, with replacement articles and accessories whenever there are changes to the uniform or accessories referred to in subsection 9.1.

So, all they would have to do if/when they change your uniform is provide you new pieces listed in your CBA.

Take a closer look at 9.3. You will notice it only references 9.1. This means that the items listed in 9.2 are off limits for the company to change.

Look, I know you would sing the company song, no matter what the tune, but in this case you should be rooting for the union. We know all the airplanes are going to eventually have same paint. It stands to reason that he also plans to dress all the pilots up in the same costumes. If the union can stop this embarrassment from being forced onto the FO pilots, it probably will not be forced on you guys either.

Unless you like the uniforms?

No need for airline style uniforms in the charter and fractional world. My company did away with the stupid airline costume last year and went with non wrinkle golf style polos and non wrinkle pants to go with it. Best thing that happened. Maintenance free uniforms are the way to go, besides charter and frac customers are not really looking for the whole airline experience thing anyway.

Slow Death

9.3 Change in Uniform

This is killing you, isn't it?

It must be frustrating to see things coming apart for you.

No, I didn't forget that provision. Because it did not seem relevant. You see at Flight Options a process exists if the union (pilots) feel that a violation of the CBA occurred. Unlike what happens at "at will" companies. The company can infringe on employees all they want without employees having any recourse. Like you are now experiencing at Flexjet.

So, about the uniform. No worries for the Flight Options pilot group. Information request was sent to the company. Grievance is ready. Change won't happen without agreement from the IBT or a defeat in an arbitration. That's the beauty of a CBA.

At Flexjet...Well, you better go down and get sized for that double-breasted jacket. Because it's coming like it or not.

I showed the photo of the new uniform to a friend who is in the fashion industry. I asked him if he would wear it.

His reply to me was : " Hell no, I might be gay but I am not blind."

I think that summed it up nicely.

TWA & I were wrong. Here was my error: Earlier this month, I started this thread & wrote about “silver pants & burgundy epaulets”. I probably remembered it wrong from my source, but since I’m the one who posted it, I’ve got to be the one who fesses up: I didn’t get the colors right.

Dimeline & Praetorian wrote more accurate color descriptions, as the pics prove, but they still weren’t 100% - as we know the readership of flightinfo demands. So as an act of penance, I turned to the authorities on color - Crayola, Behr, & a few others. Names like chartreuse, lavender, & fuchsia aren’t even close. The things I know about now! Anyways, here’s my chance at providing an accurate color palette.

Pants: Black with white pinstripes, they be so gangsta, I had to go with “Capone.” It sums up both the style & the colors.

Belt: I had a puppy once that would gorge itself on kibble, then go outside. What it left on the grass - that’s the exact shade. “Puppy Poop Tan.”

Shirt: More fun facts: Arsenic is a semi-metallic substance & steel, gray in color. “Arsenic Gray.”

Tie: “Princess Ivory.” (It’s a real color!)

There you have it.

Oh & where was TWA wrong? As FJ’s unofficial anti-union voice on flightinfo, he’s presented most of the arguments against organizing. He was the loudest. He was adamant that with DW & other former FJ managers at the top, FJ was still FJ.

Well now we know management has changed. In lawyer-speak, his whole case has fallen apart. In plain language – he was dead wrong. FJ is no longer FJ.

Latest resources

Back