Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nolife

Tired Member
Any opinions about the proposed FAA user fees?

I'm against it and think the IFR skies should be for everyone. Just looking to see how other pilots feel, both professional and private.

But the money is needed for the poor people.

My prediction is if GW gets these user fees put in place, the cost of flying will become prohibitive for too many people. Many flight schools will go out of business and the number of new student pilot starts will drop dramatically eventually causing a pilot shortage. For those who continue to fly I think you will see a lot of VFR flights operating without flight following and safety will be diminished. I really don't see a positive spin to user fees. But what do I know - I'm just a pilot!

BTW, how is NavCanada doing these days?

Sadly, I think the money is needed for Iraq.
If only that were true. It's needed to satisfy the greedy, power-drunk individuals who are the federal government and as pay back the lobbyists from the ATA and the airlines who think this will help them. It will surely deal a serious blow to light GA. One that will have significant negative trickle-down effects to suppliers and manufacturers alike. The results will be much less GA, higher prices and reduced safety as the remaining GA pilots will be driven out of the system into scud running.

Last edited:
I agree whole-heartedly with you Lowpass. I support AOPA and really hope they can fight this off... however the proponents pockets are very deep, and we know that money talks and.... walks.

What do airline pilots and ALPA think about user fees? Perhaps they should let management know their opinions.

I agree whole-heartedly with you Lowpass. I support AOPA and really hope they can fight this off... however the proponents pockets are very deep, and we know that money talks and.... walks.

What do airline pilots and ALPA think about user fees? Perhaps they should let management know their opinions.
Well, IMVHO, I wouldn't agitate your airline management or ALPA on this one! They don't care and unless you know an executive type, have no involvement.

But if you personally have any concern for the future of light GA in this country - for educational, entertainment or economic purposes - then you really should join AOPA and write letters to your US reps. AOPA does a fine job of government advocacy for a group of their size.

AOPA is probably the only reason we have the strongest GA sector in the world, but we are such an easy target because we are so rich and it always easy to take money away from rich people.

Latest resources

Back